Importing Users and Active Directory

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 4, 2005 6:09:02 AM

I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy the
UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
Any one can help me?

I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.

Thank You.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:28:11 PM

Hi..

Dont think you can do this with LDIFDE as its used with a LDAP
directory (as in Active Directory).. You dont indicate that your
servers are AD Domain Controllers..

Only way to do this is to creatre a script to export each users
details to a text file and then run the script again to import it from
the created text file on the other server.. If you can script its a
simple thing.....

Cheerio
Gary Simmons

gsimmons.uk@gmail.com

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 03:09:02 -0800, "Mark Elmer" <Mark
Elmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy the
>UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
>I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
>Any one can help me?
>
>I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.
>
>Thank You.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:17:11 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q237677/

also look for ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool)

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Mark Elmer" <Mark Elmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy
>the
> UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
> I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
> Any one can help me?
>
> I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.
>
> Thank You.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:04:06 AM

Good morning!

Actually, you can use ldifde to do this.

You would simply run ldifde to export whatever you need on the 'source' and
to create the .ldf file. Then, via floppy or whatever method bring the .ldf
file to the 'destination' computer and run ldifde to import the content of
that .ldf file.

I have done this several times. It works like a charm.

The trick is to make sure that when creating the original .ldf file ( I
would suggest that you create one for the user account objects and one for
the groups - and do the user account objects .ldf file first! ) that you use
the correct switches ( -m as well as -l ). You will then have to clean up
that .ldf file before you do the actual import ( if the source is
'yourdomain.com' but the destination is 'mydomain.net' you will need to
clean up the dc=xxx,dc=xxx entries, at the very least ).

HTH,

Cary

!