Importing Users and Active Directory

I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy the
UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
Any one can help me?

I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.

Thank You.
3 answers Last reply
More about importing users active directory

    Hi..

    Dont think you can do this with LDIFDE as its used with a LDAP
    directory (as in Active Directory).. You dont indicate that your
    servers are AD Domain Controllers..

    Only way to do this is to creatre a script to export each users
    details to a text file and then run the script again to import it from
    the created text file on the other server.. If you can script its a
    simple thing.....

    Cheerio
    Gary Simmons

    gsimmons.uk@gmail.com

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 03:09:02 -0800, "Mark Elmer" <Mark
    Elmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy the
    >UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
    >I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
    >Any one can help me?
    >
    >I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.
    >
    >Thank You.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q237677/

    also look for ADMT (Active Directory Migration Tool)

    --
    Andrei Ungureanu
    www.eventid.net

    "Mark Elmer" <Mark Elmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy
    >the
    > UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
    > I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
    > Any one can help me?
    >
    > I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.
    >
    > Thank You.

    Good morning!

    Actually, you can use ldifde to do this.

    You would simply run ldifde to export whatever you need on the 'source' and
    to create the .ldf file. Then, via floppy or whatever method bring the .ldf
    file to the 'destination' computer and run ldifde to import the content of
    that .ldf file.

    I have done this several times. It works like a charm.

    The trick is to make sure that when creating the original .ldf file ( I
    would suggest that you create one for the user account objects and one for
    the groups - and do the user account objects .ldf file first! ) that you use
    the correct switches ( -m as well as -l ). You will then have to clean up
    that .ldf file before you do the actual import ( if the source is
    'yourdomain.com' but the destination is 'mydomain.net' you will need to
    clean up the dc=xxx,dc=xxx entries, at the very least ).

    HTH,

    Cary

    "Gary Simmons" <gsimmons.uk@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > Dont think you can do this with LDIFDE as its used with a LDAP
    > directory (as in Active Directory).. You dont indicate that your
    > servers are AD Domain Controllers..
    >
    > Only way to do this is to creatre a script to export each users
    > details to a text file and then run the script again to import it from
    > the created text file on the other server.. If you can script its a
    > simple thing.....
    >
    > Cheerio
    > Gary Simmons
    >
    > gsimmons.uk@gmail.com
    >
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 03:09:02 -0800, "Mark Elmer" <Mark
    > Elmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 identical computers running Windows 2003 Server. I want to copy
    >>the
    >>UserGrups and Users from the first one to the last one.
    >>I heard that I can use ldifde to create an ldf file for importing.
    >>Any one can help me?
    >>
    >>I'm not an expert in Windows Server's so i need a step by step solution.
    >>
    >>Thank You.

Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Windows