Using Sysprep to Join Domain

Jody

Hi,
I will be using sysprep to join 700 win xp pc's to the 2003 domain.
However when the pc's join the domain they are all joined in the default
'computers' OU.
Ideally i would like the PC's to be put into a different OU
automatically at the point of joining the domain for group policy
purposes and obviously less administration.

I understand that it is possible to specify in the sysprep.inf file an
LDAP command that will place the computer object in a specified OU.

I have found some previous information which shows the commands to use.

Please find below a copy of my sysprep.inf section with the commands in
if anybody can help.

[Identification]
JoinDomain=t4.lexus.co.uk
DomainAdmin=jsadmin
DomainAdminPassword=*******
MachineObjectOU="OU=Domain Computers,OU=Windows Client
PC's,OU=Nottingham,DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"

that is directly cut and pasted out of my Sysprep file.
Most examples of the MachineObjectOU command show a domain in the format
of domain.com so with my domain being t4.lexus.co.uk i'm not sure if i
should be inputting it exactly as above in the
sysprep file.
Anyhow the above doesnt work and I get an error during sysprep that the
domain settings couldnt be configured and would i like to try joining a
domain later.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows 2003 introduced a new tool called redircmp.exe that you can use to
have newly created computer accounts moved to a specified OU.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324949

Double check the LDAP path you are using in sysprep, the domain portion
looks fine but the parent OU gets specified last in the path. According to
your path, your OU structure should look like this:

Nottingham
Windows Client PC's
Domain Computers

Is this correct? If not, what is the correct OU structure?

"Jody" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I will be using sysprep to join 700 win xp pc's to the 2003 domain.
> However when the pc's join the domain they are all joined in the default
> 'computers' OU.
> Ideally i would like the PC's to be put into a different OU automatically
> at the point of joining the domain for group policy purposes and obviously
> less administration.
>
> I understand that it is possible to specify in the sysprep.inf file an
> LDAP command that will place the computer object in a specified OU.
>
> I have found some previous information which shows the commands to use.
>
> Please find below a copy of my sysprep.inf section with the commands in if
> anybody can help.
>

> [Identification]
> JoinDomain=t4.lexus.co.uk
> DomainAdmin=jsadmin
> DomainAdminPassword=*******
> MachineObjectOU="OU=Domain Computers,OU=Windows Client
> PC's,OU=Nottingham,DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
>
> that is directly cut and pasted out of my Sysprep file.
> Most examples of the MachineObjectOU command show a domain in the format
> of domain.com so with my domain being t4.lexus.co.uk i'm not sure if i
> should be inputting it exactly as above in the
> sysprep file.
> Anyhow the above doesnt work and I get an error during sysprep that the
> domain settings couldnt be configured and would i like to try joining a
> domain later.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help.
I wasnt aware of this feature from microsoft which i will certainly take a
look at.
However concerning my domain structure it is as you mentioned :

t4.lexus.co.uk
Nottingham
Windows Client PC's
> Domain Computers

Should i specify it in the LDAP path the other way around? Also i was
concerned with the domain portion in the LDAP path ie i put it as
DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
Would it be worth trying as DC=t4,DC=lexus.co.uk or would that fail.
Finally is the LDAP path residing in the correct part of the sysprep.inf.

many thanks

"Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows 2003 introduced a new tool called redircmp.exe that you can use to
> have newly created computer accounts moved to a specified OU.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324949
>
> Double check the LDAP path you are using in sysprep, the domain portion
> looks fine but the parent OU gets specified last in the path. According to
> your path, your OU structure should look like this:
>
> Nottingham
> Windows Client PC's
> Domain Computers
>
> Is this correct? If not, what is the correct OU structure?
>
> "Jody" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I will be using sysprep to join 700 win xp pc's to the 2003 domain.
>> However when the pc's join the domain they are all joined in the default
>> 'computers' OU.
>> Ideally i would like the PC's to be put into a different OU automatically
>> at the point of joining the domain for group policy purposes and
>> obviously less administration.
>>
>> I understand that it is possible to specify in the sysprep.inf file an
>> LDAP command that will place the computer object in a specified OU.
>>
>> I have found some previous information which shows the commands to use.
>>
>> Please find below a copy of my sysprep.inf section with the commands in
>> if anybody can help.
>>

>> [Identification]
>> JoinDomain=t4.lexus.co.uk
>> DomainAdmin=jsadmin
>> DomainAdminPassword=*******
>> MachineObjectOU="OU=Domain Computers,OU=Windows Client
>> PC's,OU=Nottingham,DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
>>
>> that is directly cut and pasted out of my Sysprep file.
>> Most examples of the MachineObjectOU command show a domain in the format
>> of domain.com so with my domain being t4.lexus.co.uk i'm not sure if i
>> should be inputting it exactly as above in the
>> sysprep file.
>> Anyhow the above doesnt work and I get an error during sysprep that the
>> domain settings couldnt be configured and would i like to try joining a
>> domain later.
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated

If that is the correct OU structure then your LDAP path is correct, I was
just checking in case you had them the wrong way round.
DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk is the correct way to write t4.lexus.co.uk so no
problems with the LDAP path I don't think.

I have looked up some sysprep docs and they all specify the JoinDomain
parameter with the domain's NetBIOS name, not the FQDN as you have. So try
changing JoinDomain from t4.lexus.co.uk to whatever the NetBIOS name of the
domain is and see if that helps.

"Jody Stoll" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message

> Thanks for your help.
> I wasnt aware of this feature from microsoft which i will certainly take a
> look at.
> However concerning my domain structure it is as you mentioned :
>
> t4.lexus.co.uk
> Nottingham
> Windows Client PC's
>> Domain Computers
>
> Should i specify it in the LDAP path the other way around? Also i was
> concerned with the domain portion in the LDAP path ie i put it as
> DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
> Would it be worth trying as DC=t4,DC=lexus.co.uk or would that fail.
> Finally is the LDAP path residing in the correct part of the sysprep.inf.
>
> many thanks
>
> "Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Windows 2003 introduced a new tool called redircmp.exe that you can use
>> to have newly created computer accounts moved to a specified OU.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324949
>>
>> Double check the LDAP path you are using in sysprep, the domain portion
>> looks fine but the parent OU gets specified last in the path. According
>> to your path, your OU structure should look like this:
>>
>> Nottingham
>> Windows Client PC's
>> Domain Computers
>>
>> Is this correct? If not, what is the correct OU structure?
>>
>> "Jody" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I will be using sysprep to join 700 win xp pc's to the 2003 domain.
>>> However when the pc's join the domain they are all joined in the default
>>> 'computers' OU.
>>> Ideally i would like the PC's to be put into a different OU
>>> automatically at the point of joining the domain for group policy
>>> purposes and obviously less administration.
>>>
>>> I understand that it is possible to specify in the sysprep.inf file an
>>> LDAP command that will place the computer object in a specified OU.
>>>
>>> I have found some previous information which shows the commands to use.
>>>
>>> Please find below a copy of my sysprep.inf section with the commands in
>>> if anybody can help.
>>>

>>> [Identification]
>>> JoinDomain=t4.lexus.co.uk
>>> DomainAdmin=jsadmin
>>> DomainAdminPassword=*******
>>> MachineObjectOU="OU=Domain Computers,OU=Windows Client
>>> PC's,OU=Nottingham,DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
>>>
>>> that is directly cut and pasted out of my Sysprep file.
>>> Most examples of the MachineObjectOU command show a domain in the format
>>> of domain.com so with my domain being t4.lexus.co.uk i'm not sure if i
>>> should be inputting it exactly as above in the
>>> sysprep file.
>>> Anyhow the above doesnt work and I get an error during sysprep that the
>>> domain settings couldnt be configured and would i like to try joining a
>>> domain later.
>>>
>>> any help would be greatly appreciated

Jody

I'm now able to get a pc to join the domain and create the computer
object in a specified OU aside from the default by using the
sysprep.inf. However it will only work if the OU is one level from the
root , (ideally the OU i want the pc's to be in is 3 levels)and also if
omit the domain username and p/w from the sysprep.inf so that it prompts
me manually to enter them at the mini setup. I know that it isnt a
rights issue is i have used the domain admin p/w and no ou's have been
delegated.
As soon as I add more ou levels it fails or add the username and
password to create the computer account back into the inf it fails.

Any ideas's as this is becoming damn annoying!!!

Simon Geary wrote:
> If that is the correct OU structure then your LDAP path is correct, I was
> just checking in case you had them the wrong way round.
> DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk is the correct way to write t4.lexus.co.uk so no
> problems with the LDAP path I don't think.
>
> I have looked up some sysprep docs and they all specify the JoinDomain
> parameter with the domain's NetBIOS name, not the FQDN as you have. So try
> changing JoinDomain from t4.lexus.co.uk to whatever the NetBIOS name of the
> domain is and see if that helps.
>

> "Jody Stoll" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>I wasnt aware of this feature from microsoft which i will certainly take a
>>look at.
>>However concerning my domain structure it is as you mentioned :
>>
>>t4.lexus.co.uk
>> Nottingham
>> Windows Client PC's
>>
>>> Domain Computers
>>
>>Should i specify it in the LDAP path the other way around? Also i was
>>concerned with the domain portion in the LDAP path ie i put it as
>>DC=t4,DC=lexus,DC=co,DC=uk"
>>Would it be worth trying as DC=t4,DC=lexus.co.uk or would that fail.
>>Finally is the LDAP path residing in the correct part of the sysprep.inf.
>>
>>many thanks
>>
>>"Simon Geary" <simon_geary@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Windows 2003 introduced a new tool called redircmp.exe that you can use
>>>to have newly created computer accounts moved to a specified OU.
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324949
>>>
>>>Double check the LDAP path you are using in sysprep, the domain portion
>>>looks fine but the parent OU gets specified last in the path. According
>>>to your path, your OU structure should look like this:
>>>
>>>Nottingham
>>> Windows Client PC's
>>> Domain Computers
>>>
>>>Is this correct? If not, what is the correct OU structure?
>>>
>>>"Jody" <jo@mastercare.co.uk> wrote in message

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I know it'snot much help but someone else has had this issue.

http://www.mcse.ms/archive44-2004-9-1024919.html

Mark