Sign in with
Your question

Building a Computer.....Need help!!!!!!

Last response: in Systems
July 3, 2006 1:45:04 AM

i want to build my next Computer and i need help on what hardware to buy. My main use is Gaming and Design programs and my budget is a little over $1,000....i dont need a monitor right away and dont i really need a sound card or am i just fine with the onboard audio????

Thanx

More about : building computer

a b B Homebuilt system
July 3, 2006 7:53:45 AM

hello, I was wondering if you have any particular requirements for your system? I know you say that your building it for a gaming/graphics system. Your main concern should be whether or not you want to build your computer around AMD or INTEL. Once you decide which one your prefer, than you can start the selection of motherboard, memory, video card, etc.
I personally prefer the AMD chips, but that is just my preferance. I have all ranges of CPU's that I currently have and I have no issues with any of them. From Sempron's to Prescott to the socket 939 AMD 64.
Okay back to your original question. If you want to get tried and true hardware I would go with either the AMD 64 (socket 939) or Intel's more recent CPU's (not Prescott--too hot, I know this for a fact).
If I were to build one right now I would start with at least the socket AM2 chip from AMD.
Here is just an example of a system you can start with. Please understand that any of these components can be changed and modified to fit your budget (This is just a starting point to look at). I'm not an expert, but I have built 7 computers in the last year, so I have some experience. Just make sure you use quality memory and motherboards, because if you do than you will have a better chance of having a somewhat worry free computer (not always true, but at least you have a better chance).

80721-9 Quantity Limit: 20
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 (62W) Retail ***Free Shipping*** $139.00

Liteon SHW160P6S04 16X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive (Black) Retail ***Free Shipping*** $43.49

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer ***Free Shipping*** $77.80

Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory w/Black Heat Spreader Retail ***Free Shipping***
$114.00

Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE nForce 570 SLI Sempron/Athlon 64(FX)(X2) SktAM2 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free Shipping*** $156.99

ATI Radeon X1900 XT PCI Express 512MB DDR3 Video Card w/TV-Out, HDTV, Dual DVI & VIVO Retail ***Free Shipping*** $399.99

Logisys CS878SL-S Gladiator Mid Tower Gaming Case (Silver) Retail ***Free Shipping*** $99.99
Subtotal: $1031.26

If you have any other information that you would like answers to, I'd be glad to help you.
P.S. I got this information from Zipzoomfly.com. Newegg.com is another good website to do some research on. Newegg has customer reviews on most of their items that they sell, so you can make your own opinion about whether or not you like what you see/read.
July 3, 2006 5:06:52 PM

Swap the motherboard for the Asus M2N-E. A $1000 budget means SLI is not an option. You only see the true benefit from SLI out of high end cards like the 7900GT. But unless you get both card within 3 months of each other, it's pointless again because the next generation of cards beats your 2 in SLI by itself.

On that note, swap that ATI card with this eVGA Geforce 7900GT

swapping these 2 parts should save you about $70. I should also note that the reviews at Newegg.com should be disregarded.
Related resources
July 4, 2006 1:01:38 AM

yea ive read that AMD is more compatible for Gaming.....i was thinken of goin AM2.....not sure what chip to get just yet....will wait till Conroe comes out and see what i can afford.....still not sure what mobo to get but right now i have an ABIT AT7 Max2 so i was thinken ABIT cuz that board hasnt given me any problems....thanx for all the info, too.......
July 4, 2006 6:10:41 AM

Abit is a solid brand. My last system had an Abit board in it (the IS7-E2, for anyone that cares) and it didn't give me problems either.
July 4, 2006 5:34:48 PM

Wait until this time next month. You will get better prices.

I wouldnt go with a singlecore at this point, especially not at $130. Especially when you consider that the conroe E6300 will be a little over that and could easily bench close to the fx60/62.
July 4, 2006 5:38:45 PM

The E6300 would need a big overclock to match the FX60 or 62. However, you still have a valid point, and I totally agree.
July 4, 2006 5:51:48 PM

The_Prophecy recommended to swap the motherboard and video card for a M2N-E and a 7900GT. He also stated that you save $70. If I were you, I'd use those $70 to get 2GB of memory instead of 1GB.
July 4, 2006 6:36:50 PM

That would be $70 well spent.
!