P5W DH Deluxe or P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

DumKopf

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
With the conroe coming out, which do you suggest:

P5W DH Deluxe or P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP

The DH has the Intel 975X which seems to only offer 2 x PCI-e 16 slots, which is pointless for me, I won't be xfiring.

But the P5B (with an Intel 965) seems to be a board that offers more speed, OC options, more features, and is Kingston® HyperX® PC2-8500 Ready (default overclock at 1066 MHz).

Can anyone shed more light on the differences between the two different chipsets? Pros and Cons of the two boards?

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
P5W DH has Asus backup for driverless RAID. It's avalible now. The 975 will be a better overclocker, it's the only performance chipset on Intel's roadmap.

DumKopf

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Wow, so it wins hands down eh? Glad to hear about driverless RAID :D RAID drivers have plagued me since RAID first hit the retail market :/

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol just found a link its out its out its out...lol sory got excited there lol :wink: i think that this one wil have suport for crosfire, i would go with the one that has the remote, althou the other one that has that super mike noise canceling thingy is cool as well but i think it does not have support for crossfire...... i think ill be geting this mobo...my precious lol, but weirdly newegg does not say it supports cenroe...weird.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131025

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
The 2nd PCI-E slot on the P5W DH only runs at 8x. In theory, that's not so good. That's why both Nvidia and ATI's own chip sets guarantee the full 16x bandwidth for both slots. I don't think the P5W DH is worth it because of this. It seems like merely a recycled P5WD2-E.

I am disappointed that ASUS has not yet announced LGA775 boards based on the newest Nvidia and ATI chipsets.

For now, I'm personally going for the P5B Deluxe. It seems like a whole new board design. Although I'm still disappointed in the arrangement of the PCI-E slots which cause you to lose other slots when they're occupied. The 965 chipset seems tuned for best performance with 800MHz RAM. Whether the performance differences between the two boards are measurable... remains to be seen. Can't wait to see Tom's review the boards together. Why are we waiting!

Looking forward to ASUS publishing more details on their Republic Of Gamers boards. They already sound like they feature some interesting advancements.

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
IMO bandwidth doesnt mean squat. AGP was fine at 4x infact if you use a 8x GPU and run it at 4x then you will get a maximum preformance hit of 1 FPS. So whats gonna be different about PCI-E. Plus they can port the 7800s to an AGP. I just dont know how well they preform compared to the PCI-E versions.

DX10 cards might change this because there wont be as many idle processes so I suppose we just have to wait and see. Like most things in the computer industry.

There is no proof of the apple until you eat the apple.

chifan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
An Intel 975X chipset can support x8+x8 CrossFire and P5B is an Intel P965 chipset.Unfortunately it only supports x16+x4 Cross Fire.Run Cross Fire with 975X is a better Choice.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
yup i dont think the p5b alows crosfire at all, the p5w dh deluxe does (and its stated on asus's site and many others) but im shoor there will be a premium mobo, and some other renditions of those in the future that will suport xfire, as the p5wd2-e premium was a step up from the p5wd deluxe mobo, which lacked the xfire suport.

chifan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
yup i dont think the p5b alows crosfire at all, the p5w dh deluxe does (and its stated on asus's site and many others) but im shoor there will be a premium mobo, and some other renditions of those in the future that will suport xfire, as the p5wd2-e premium was a step up from the p5wd deluxe mobo, which lacked the xfire suport.
But P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP has two PCI Express Graphic Slots.
The BLUE PCI-E has a full speed of x16 bandwidth (8GB/s) while the BLACK one has only x4 bandwidth (2GB/s).The x4 PCI-E is get from the ICH8R.ATI's CF has come later than SLI for more than six months. ATI authorizes Intel Chipset to support Cross Fire.Only 975X has x8+x8 CF.
But others like 945P can also have x16+x4 CF.The performance will be worse than 975X CF and RD400 CF. Some manufacturers pull some PCI-E Lanes in order to let the user have a chance to have a semi-CF