Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to kill bacterial growth in water cooling systmes!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2006 2:33:51 AM

How do you guys kill the bacteria/algae in your cooling systems?

What chemicals do you guys use? And at what concentrations?

I know ethanol and ethylene glycol can inhibit the growth of bacteria and algae. What are the optimum concentrations for preformance / inhibition of growth???

I have heard of some people using a mild soap (window cleaner etc)
July 3, 2006 2:59:09 AM

Anti-freeze works and as for ratio just put 1 part anti-freeze per 16 part water.
July 12, 2006 1:01:40 PM

unperfumed uncolourer thin bleach works well for me, but whatever you use check that it is safe with the plastics/rubber on your setup.
Related resources
July 12, 2006 3:48:31 PM

I would not use bleach as it is very corrosive.
Check out CrazyPC or Frozen CPU or some other dist and look at water additives. You can buy algicide you add to distilled water or buy it premixed.
July 12, 2006 4:09:54 PM

i use car cooling liquid and works just fine
July 12, 2006 4:17:58 PM

Quote:
I would not use bleach as it is very corrosive.
Check out CrazyPC or Frozen CPU or some other dist and look at water additives. You can buy algicide you add to distilled water or buy it premixed.

depending on what concentration is made it can be used for cleaning the dirtest of metals to the finest silk, you yourself will be using it daily in toothpaste, shampoos, even foods such as bread.
July 12, 2006 5:10:26 PM

Maybe someone can answer this for me... since algae requires sunlight (doesn't it?!?) to exist... why are most water tubes clear? Wouldn't solid black tubing reduce (if not eliminate) the growth of algae? Sure... you couldn't see bubbles in the loop, but other than that is there any reason why your tubing shouldn't be solid in color?
July 12, 2006 5:38:42 PM

Great thought Dude :)  however, algae forms can and do exist in what appears to be low-no visible light. This occurs because all living things in this world emit photons as a natural function or bioluminescence , although we cannot "see" the these photons with human eye perception.
July 12, 2006 5:53:27 PM

just buy a bottle of cooling solution for water cooling setups or use anti freeze.

most colored liquids that come with water cooling setups are (if not the same) or pretty close to anti freeze used in cars. algae wont grow in that.
July 12, 2006 6:25:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe someone can answer this for me... since algae requires sunlight (doesn't it?!?) to exist... why are most water tubes clear? Wouldn't solid black tubing reduce (if not eliminate) the growth of algae? Sure... you couldn't see bubbles in the loop, but other than that is there any reason why your tubing shouldn't be solid in color?

probably for the same reason that people put an acrylic window on their cases...

Quote:
depending on what concentration is made it can be used for cleaning the dirtest of metals to the finest silk, you yourself will be using it daily in toothpaste, shampoos, even foods such as bread.

Exactly. That's what they use on swimming pools. I think chlorine (bleach), or even oxygenated water would do well. Maybe a little bit of both
July 13, 2006 1:24:25 AM

Yep getting solid (non clear) tubes will inhibit the growth of algae.

However Bacteria and moulds dont need light to grow and now that your tubes arn't clear anymore how will you know when to clean out your wc system???

I have heard of pplz using iodine to kill bacteria but that stuff stains the tubes into a dark brown colour which makes your wc look like a $hit can.

I know that if the conc of the anit freeze is not high enough the bacteria start to use the ethylene glycol as food (you are basically adding carbon and nitrogen sources for them)
Also Anti freeze is not as effective at taking heat away heat from the water blocks as pure water is. So the more you add in the less effective your wc will be.

We have now started moving on to Tygon tubes that are impregnated with anti microbial agents such as silver. The tubes are clear in nature and just as flexable and soft as the old tygon Laboratory style tubes. The tubes are called Tygon Micorbore if anybody is interested. They are costly but I think its worth it considering you will not have to clean out your system for quite some time.
July 13, 2006 1:37:20 AM

algecide works, also clean out the components before using them also helps

wash everything repeadily with vinegar
July 13, 2006 2:14:50 AM

vinegar AKA acetic acid is acidic..... is acid bad for copper water blocks???
July 13, 2006 2:45:06 AM

try a black light
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2006 2:53:00 AM

d00d, you're NUTS. I used very clean tap water once because the manufacturer said it would be OK, and the trace amount of bleach started eating my aluminum reservoir! And it still grew algea!

If you used a dillute enough concentration to make it safe, it wouldn't be strong enough to prevent algea growth.
July 13, 2006 2:54:32 AM

Thanx crash, that is what I suspected, and said in prev post, but did not have proof to follow up.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2006 2:54:37 AM

I found something that works and doesn't react with aluminum noticeably, it's the stuff they sell to keep humidifiers clean.
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2006 3:04:26 AM

Thanks Rich...I break things so you don't have to!
July 13, 2006 3:10:50 AM

Yea but they are not yours 8O !
Besides I break things too... but get yelled at for it. :oops: 

The end of the world must be coming, seeing how many brain dead drones bumble around in here, I caught 2 within a few hours using a login of THG and THG admin, once I got the THG banned, he made the other...
and was posting site about site like he is part of operations. :roll:

No matter, they are IP banned, and sent a letter to his mother to slap that boy around much harder... :lol: 
July 13, 2006 3:18:06 AM

I've been using PrimoChill ICE as a lubricant in my watercooling system for several reasons:

1) It has lubricators that prevent shearing and help extend the life of all the parts in the system.
2) It has very good heat transfer properties
3) It is non conductive. 4) It has anti algae properties

I'm especially pleased with it's non conductivity advantages as, during experimentation of modded watercooling parts, there has been a leak or 2.
July 13, 2006 3:52:49 AM

Quote:
vinegar AKA acetic acid is acidic..... is acid bad for copper water blocks???

Different acids (or bases) react with different substances differently. You could probably wikipedia it on a "per acid" basis. My guess is that you should stay away from nitric acid though because it can dissolve otherwise unreactive metals like gold.
Of possible interest: many algaecides are copper ion solutions since heavy metals disrupt enzyme activity in living organisms. This copper ion could potentially react with other components, and not necessarily in a good way.

-mcg
July 14, 2006 2:49:09 AM

yeah I have heard of pplz using fine copper particles or silver particles to kill/inhibit the bacteria....

Im reluctant to add metals because i think it could be bad for the pump....

I would add things like ethidium bromide or something highly toxic to kill the bugs...
July 14, 2006 2:51:41 AM

Quote:
I would add things like ethidium bromide or something highly toxic to kill the bugs...

the bugs and maybe yourself :p 

i think the solution would be to use opaque hoses so that the dirt would not be visible. I dont think dirty water would reduce the performance of the system
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2006 2:54:47 AM

Metalic toxics could potentially be less reactive with the metals than bromides. Some metals are barely reactive with others.
July 14, 2006 4:37:49 AM

Dude if the water is cloudy with bacterial growth then these cells could clog up your water block and rad.... this would restrict flow therefore downgrade your wc setup preformance. Also what do you think conducts heat better metals in water or bacteria???
July 14, 2006 5:43:38 AM

Ethylene glycol is quite deadly to living organisms, and can seep through the micropores in your tubing. I highly recommend you don't use it. Google it for a couple of minutes and I'm sure you're bound to find many, many stories of "My pet ate my water cooling system coolant and died!"
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2006 5:47:56 AM

Stupid pet
July 14, 2006 7:16:47 AM

How about a snail? A watering cooling/aquarium case mod would rock.
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2006 7:23:13 AM

Did you know that a single clam can purify up to ten gallons of water a day?
July 14, 2006 7:44:15 AM

ProClin 150! It's used as an anti-microbial in lab diagnostic equipment so it has to be good. You'll need a scientist buddy to buy it though.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2006 7:48:10 AM

Quote:
This occurs because all living things in this world emit photons as a natural function or bioluminescence , although we cannot "see" the these photons with human eye perception.

That's just bullshit.
July 14, 2006 11:08:33 AM

well, that's a supposition, then if i were you i would test first before assuming it would indeed block water flow and reduce performance.
But like i said earlier, you can try chlorine, oxygenated water or other swimming pool product. I think this is the better example of still, clean, micro organisms-free water. The products used to keep that water clean should work without damaging your system.
July 14, 2006 11:52:40 AM

Not really. In our pool, even if we shock (add liquid chlorine) the water at the beginning of the season, we can still get algae. That's why there's a chemical called algaecide, its purpose being to kill algae. Chlorine isn't nearly as effective at killing algae as some think it is...but a good suggestion nontheless :wink:.
July 15, 2006 4:01:58 PM

Yep ethylene glycol is toxic....

Yes it will be absorbed by tubes.... it is a form of ethanol.

Yep cats, and dogs love the drink the stuff.... (its sweet in taste and smells nice)....

Ethylene glycol is only toxic when ingested.... in a sufficient quantity....

When you use it in your cooling set up its diluted.....We usually add around 10% or less.... and at this concentration it WILL NOT inhibit growth.
In FACT you are just adding a nice carbon and nitrogen source ie food for the bugs to grow on! (We usually add ethylene glycol to lube the pump and increase the pH above neutral). Adding too much ethylene glycol will dull the preformance of your cooling system because the ethylene glycol does not absorb and transfer heat as well as pure water, it will also make the water more viscous.

The reason why your pool eventually grows algae at the "end" of the season is because the chlorine evaporates faster than water thus the conc of chlorine at the "end" of the season will be far less than at the start.... Once the conc of the chlorine drops the more resistant algae can start to grow....

I would not add chlorine to my system because this will promote corrosion chlorine will give positive charged molecules a "potential".

I would NOT add "oxygenated" water this would promote growth 'most' bacteria need oxygen to grow (All Algae NEED oxygen to grow).... Most bacteria will NOT grow without oxygen.

Thre are some bacteria that can grow with or without oxygen (facultative aerobes) they will grow faster when they have oxygen at their disposal.
July 15, 2006 4:07:06 PM

antifreeze is sweet in taste
but if you get a good dose <i have>
it is the nastiest tasting stuff there is
i am an auto tech and was siphoning
some out of a 50 gal barrel to put
in a car and got a mouthful
yyyuuuukkk!!!
the burn and taste lasted for most of that day
July 15, 2006 4:29:22 PM

I hear that there are some desperate people that will drink anti freeze to get their "fix".

I hear its just like drinking ethanol....

Did you have to go see a doc after drinking some anti freeze???

Did he prescribe you a bottle of vodka???
July 15, 2006 4:32:08 PM

thats just plain crazy
i wonder if they drink dexcool
for the orange flavor
July 15, 2006 4:40:00 PM

I used car coolant, the green stuff, at a mix of 50/50 (I know that's too high, but I wanted slower water flow to get the system dead silent)
It acts as a lubricant btw
July 15, 2006 4:42:16 PM

no i didnt have to see a doc but it made me a little sick
July 15, 2006 4:46:02 PM

"Ethylene glycol doses as small as 30 milliliters (2 tablespoons) can be lethal to adults."

"Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning follow a three-step progression. Initially, victims may appear to be intoxicated, exhibiting symptoms such as dizziness, slurred speech, and confusion. Over time, the body metabolizes ethylene glycol into another toxin, oxalic acid. Buildup of this substance results in irregularities in the victim's heartbeat and breathing. In the final stage, the victim suffers kidney failure"

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol
July 15, 2006 4:46:05 PM

Whoa 50/50 man thats high conc..... does do you find any prefromance differnece? Is it worse or better???
July 15, 2006 4:48:39 PM

Quote:
Whoa 50/50 man thats high conc..... does do you find any prefromance differnece? Is it worse or better???

Most likely worse, as I said it was just to make sure everything ran extra silent.
It does become a lot less thick when it gets warm.

Although the temps didn't change noticeably, my 6600GT at the time still held 40 or so.
July 15, 2006 4:55:05 PM

well i exhibited some of those symptoms
plus a little cussin,coughing,and a little puking
believe me i dont want to go through that agian
July 15, 2006 4:55:15 PM

Yep 2 table spoons can kill "that" btw is the lowest recorded LD (lethal dose) for a human. Usually it takes much more, and it usually takes quite some time for the body to convert the ethylene glycol..... so in the meen time if you do ingest some by mistake vodka is your best bet..... The vodka acts as a competitive enzyme inhibition assay!

the wikpedia also tells us that Australian wine makers added ethylene glycol to their wines! hahahaha (Because ethylene glycol is sweet) thus the wine could be passed as "table wine".

Its not like if you get some on your fingers you will die.....
July 15, 2006 5:17:35 PM

vodka huh?

Well, in the interest of safety I'll begin ingesting some vodka now.

and no one ever believed me when I said I drank vodka for medicinal purposes...
a c 324 K Overclocking
October 2, 2012 8:22:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
!