darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Is the Conroe the new Extreme Edition Processor or is it meant to replace all the old HT and Dual Core processors we have right now? I am debating at the moment b/c my brother needs a PC badly and I dunno if I should wait. Thanks guys.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Is the Conroe the new Extreme Edition Processor or is it meant to replace all the old HT and Dual Core processors we have right now? I am debating at the moment b/c my brother needs a PC badly and I dunno if I should wait. Thanks guys.

there'll be core 2 and core 2 extreme, they'll replace P4's and Pentium D's, just not immediately. all core 2's look to be dual core right now, but they'll be releasing single core versions later on. core 2 is being released on the 27th.

I would wait imo.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Yes, definetely wait. You won't be dissapointed. Look around the forums here and you'll readily find price and performance information.

Cheers!

darkwhyt

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
they'll be releasing single core versions later on. core 2 is being released on the 27th.

I would wait imo.

So dont buy my PC on the 27th is what you are saying b/c it is a "CORE 2"? So when should I be ready to buy this thing lol? I am just curious if it will really blow the doors off of the AMD things like a few benchmarks seem to be showing.

ONE MORE THING.....is the conroe going to be uber expensive? I read on a different thread that it will actually only cost between 200-300 for the decent ones. Help me out fellas : )

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
they'll be releasing single core versions later on. core 2 is being released on the 27th.

I would wait imo.

So dont buy my PC on the 27th is what you are saying b/c it is a "CORE 2"? So when should I be ready to buy this thing lol? I am just curious if it will really blow the doors off of the AMD things like a few benchmarks seem to be showing.

ONE MORE THING.....is the conroe going to be uber expensive? I read on a different thread that it will actually only cost between 200-300 for the decent ones. Help me out fellas : )

It's due for release on the 27th so I'd keep my eye on Dell's site for preorders. They will definitely be first come first serve for awhile. Your best bet if you're an OCer is to go for the 6400 since the difference in 2MB cache doesn't seem to be that much - underclock a 6600 - so you can clock it to 2.8GHz easily and still be faster than everything else.

It'll be dirt cheap but make sure you get an ATi or nVidia video card.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Dell should have Conroe around the 27th, just like others have said.

The Core 2 Duo will replace the Pentium D's, as they are both dual-core CPUs.

The Core 2 Solo will replace the P4; they are both single-core CPUs. There will probably also be a version with a slow bus and reduced cache to replace the Celeron.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Dark,

You have received some good information on this thread "Most of it valid".

Sorry you have to hear the rants of others because of "ONE".

Please do not let this discourage you form these forums. There are real members here with real information. Those members will likely help you to gather information without bias!

BM, It was meant as a complement, take it as you will.

Thanks again for deteriorating a common thread from someone new.