HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
*EDIT* (Now with paragraphs, understandable questions and useful information!)
I'm not entirely sure if this fits into this topic, as it does (sort of). Anyway, I have the system in my sig in my room. In the study, we have a P4 @1.6 (16x100) with 512mb PC133 RAM, GeForce 2mx400 TVIO, and other assorted junk running XP Home.
I get ~4100 in 3dMark2001 on the P3 when my card is oc'd to 319core and 205.5mem. As you might know the geforce 2 is clocked at 200core and 166mem (same as the radeon, at stock speeds).
My main question is this, if I drop the oc'd card into the P4, am I going to get much of a performance leap? I want to know if this would help before I argue with my dad whether or not I can put the radeon in.
According to CPUZ my P3 is a Coppermine-T EB, family 6, model 8 and the P4 is of the Willamette batch and manufactured with the 0.18um process.
Also, how much slower would the geforce be in the P3 than the P4. Sorry, my question is so big :oops:

4745454b

Titan
Let me take a stab at this, but I'm not sure I understand your question(s). "if I drop the oc'd card into the P4, am I going to get much of a performance leap?" I don't think so, and you might even see a performance drop. (depending on your motherboards and bios options.) You have to remember, clock speed is a useful measure of performance only when comparing the same family of chips. You can't say a 1.6GHz P4 will perform faster then a 1GHz P3. It might, at some tasks, but the cores are completely different.
I remember when the willy core P4s came out. (socket 423, started at 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6GHz.) Most of these were SLOWER then the 1GHz P3s they were supposed to replace. Almost none of them could beat a 1.13GHz p3. (I think there was even a 1.3GHz p3 out) Remember, in order to hit those speeds, Intel made the pipeline of the P4 longer then the P3s. Short answer, if you switched cards, there would be little to no change. (I'm sure there would be some, but I doubt you'd hit 6000 3dmarks, you probably won't even get 4500)

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Check out my new data, does this answer your question? Also, on a side note, how far could the P4 be oc'd, it runs at 16x100. *EDIT* After a long search throughout the forums, I discovered that Wiliamettes suck at overclocking.. sigh, oh well.

4745454b

Titan
I stand by my original post. IF you see any differences they will be small. You might see some differences if the level of DX changes. The GF2 is a DX7 card. If your running a game with DX7, it might be faster on the GF2 if the 9200se has to use DX8. (if you make the switch, and see the one card is faster/slower then the other, double check the settings.) Other then that, I'm sure those two systems are rather evenly matched, even though one is 600MHz "faster" then the other. (RAM, motherboard chipset, bios settings, harddrive, etc can change this. One might be much faster then the other...)