What is a users home folder

What is the Home Folder and what influence does it have if I move it..
I'm a little confused when about "Home folder", profile and My documents..
3 answers Last reply
More about what users home folder

    Home folder is more of a legacy thing nowadays. Before we had My Documents,
    we would set the home folder to a server location so that a user could logon
    anywhere in the domain and still be able to access the home folder, e.g.
    \\printserver\home\%username%

    This is still there for backward compatibility, although I believe the new
    and preferred way of doing this is through GPO folder-redirection (redirect
    My Docs to a server).

    The profile is where the actual profile is stored. If you configure this to
    be a server, changes will be uploaded and downloaded to and from the server.
    This way, your desktop, screensaver, etc. follow you regardless of
    workstation. This could prove quite cumbersome because of the My Documents,
    My Music, etc. so is best used in conjunction with GPO folder-redirection.

    Hope this helps,

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Amadir Njul" <amadir@ingen-sure.mine.nu> wrote in message
    What is the Home Folder and what influence does it have if I move it..
    I'm a little confused when about "Home folder", profile and My documents..

    Read pt's response....

    "Amadir Njul" <amadir@ingen-sure.mine.nu> wrote in message
    > What is the Home Folder and what influence does it have if I move it..
    > I'm a little confused when about "Home folder", profile and My documents..

    The Home folder is technically the default place that
    applications created for legacy Windows were supposed
    to store a users files BY DEFAULT.

    That is really all -- the user should be able to make another
    choice but apps (used to) default to that location which
    is set in a domain by changing the account properties.

    It was (largely) superceded by My Documents (which
    normally overlaps with it) because My Documents has
    more flexibility in that it can be divided for different
    kinds of content, e.g., Ap Data, My Pictures, My PDA
    (or some such) etc.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Ditto what Paul and Herb said!

    Cary

    "Amadir Njul" <amadir@ingen-sure.mine.nu> wrote in message
    > What is the Home Folder and what influence does it have if I move it..
    > I'm a little confused when about "Home folder", profile and My documents..

My Documents Microsoft Active Directory Windows