Sata power cables same as Molex???

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The new skinny SATA power cables do they suply exactly the same amout of electricity as a normal Molex????

Can a SATA power cable be cut and "re-pinned" to form a molex power connector?

My PSU has 4 sata power connectors I only have 1 HD so I would like to convert the SATA power connectors into a molex powerconnectors.

(My raptor HD can take both SATA power and molex). And I hear there is no diff in preformance no matter how you power it up. (correct me if im wrong)

Im running out of molex connectors needed for 6 panflo fans!

weekendwarrior

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Yeah, man. Daisy chain, or buy some Y-splitters, or SATA<->Molex adapters. Cutting into your wire harness to add fans is a short-sighted idea.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Yeah I could daisy chain em but I have 6 hi speed pan flows (about 15 wats each) thats almost 100wats total from daisy chain.....

Ive been told not to put my fans into the 3 pin MB fan headers because the MB wont provide enouff power....

I will prob try to attach all 6 fans onto one molex

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't really care whether he said it was 120mm because they suck the most juice anyway.... the highest power for an 80mm is less than 4w. So unless he's found some source of 250mm 15w fans I still think he has his power requirement wrong....