Replacing Domain Controller with new server

My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I want
to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
possible?

Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take it
out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.

I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.

Will this work or am I completely wrong?
Thanks for your help!
-Nick
nmooreATdeckermail.com

Your plan seems fine.

Bear in mind a couple of things:
-- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer account.
-- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
-- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all DCs
GCs.

The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I want
to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
possible?

Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take it
out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.

I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.

Will this work or am I completely wrong?
Thanks for your help!
-Nick
nmooreATdeckermail.com

I forgot to mention that the server that is going to be replaced is also the
only DNS server in the domain (as well as DHCP & WINS).

Is their away to transfer the DNS settings to the new server's DNS?

-Nick

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Your plan seems fine.
>
> Bear in mind a couple of things:
> -- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer account.
> -- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
> -- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all DCs
> GCs.
>
> The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
> office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I want
> to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
> possible?
>
> Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take it
> out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
> Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.
>
> I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.
>
> Will this work or am I completely wrong?
> Thanks for your help!
> -Nick
> nmooreATdeckermail.com

Sure, utilise AD-Integrated DNS.

Try this to start:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Your plan seems fine.
>
> Bear in mind a couple of things:
> -- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer
> account.
> -- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
> -- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all
> DCs
> GCs.
>
> The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
> office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I
> want
> to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
> possible?
>
> Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take
> it
> out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
> Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.
>
> I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.
>
> Will this work or am I completely wrong?
> Thanks for your help!
> -Nick
> nmooreATdeckermail.com

Do I need to worry about the FSMO roles since I am demoting the current
server first and promoting the new server after?

Thanks for your help!

-Nick

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Sure, utilise AD-Integrated DNS.
>
> Try this to start:
> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I forgot to mention that the server that is going to be replaced is also the
> only DNS server in the domain (as well as DHCP & WINS).
>
> Is their away to transfer the DNS settings to the new server's DNS?
>
> -Nick
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Your plan seems fine.
> >
> > Bear in mind a couple of things:
> > -- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer
> > account.
> > -- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
> > -- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all
> > DCs
> > GCs.
> >
> > The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net/
> > http://forums.msresource.net/
> >
> > "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
> > office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I
> > want
> > to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is this
> > possible?
> >
> > Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC. Take
> > it
> > out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
> > Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.
> >
> > I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the domain.
> >
> > Will this work or am I completely wrong?
> > Thanks for your help!
> > -Nick
> > nmooreATdeckermail.com

Realistically no. However most will recommend you move them manually. If
for no other reason other than you know exactly where they are...

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Sure, utilise AD-Integrated DNS.
>
> Try this to start:
> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I forgot to mention that the server that is going to be replaced is also
> the
> only DNS server in the domain (as well as DHCP & WINS).
>
> Is their away to transfer the DNS settings to the new server's DNS?
>
> -Nick
>
> "ptwilliams" wrote:
>
> > Your plan seems fine.
> >
> > Bear in mind a couple of things:
> > -- After demoting, remove from the domain, and delete the computer
> > account.
> > -- Ensure you remove the entries from DNS
> > -- Have more than one GC - in this single domain environment, make all
> > DCs
> > GCs.
> >
> > The remote DC should be a GC even if you don't make them all GCs.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Williams
> >
> > http://www.msresource.net/
> > http://forums.msresource.net/
> >
> > "Acoustix" <Acoustix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My company has Win2000 AD running with 3 DCs (two onsite, one in remote
> > office). The DC that I want to replace is also the Global Catalog. I
> > want
> > to give the new server the same name as the server I'm replacing. Is
> > this
> > possible?
> >
> > Here's my plan: Make another DC the Global Catalog. Demote the DC.
> > Take
> > it
> > out of the domian. Rename the new server the same as the old server.
> > Promote it to DC and make it the Global Catalog server.
> >
> > I should also mention that I have an Exchange 2003 server in the
> > domain.
> >
> > Will this work or am I completely wrong?
> > Thanks for your help!
> > -Nick
> > nmooreATdeckermail.com

Good morning!

When you demote a Domain Controller the dcpromo process will indeed transfer
any roles that the 'being demoted' DC might hold to another Domain
Controller ( assuming that there is another Domain Controller and that it
can find and bind to it ). So, technically - do you need to transfer
manually? Absolutely not. But, as Paul so aptly stated, you will probably
want to so that you can control this.

HTH,

Cary