A question about mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone I am new to this group today and new to Morrowind.

I have a quick question about mods, I want to play through the game as close
as possible to the original, however I have read a little about mods that
people use to fix annoyances in the original game. I have bought Morrowind,
Tribunal and Bloodmoon from Game as a triple pack (they were taped together)
but have only installed and am playing Morrowind.

So which mods would you recommend? As I say, I do not want to cheat, or mod
the game beyond recognition but any mods that enhance the gameplay, or get
rid of any potential annoyances or bugs would be great.

Just for info I am Level 2, in Balmora and have done a couple of the
fighters guild quests and a couple of the thieves guild ones. Oh and I
managed to swipe a cool looking sword from the East guard tower called the
Sword of White Woe. it looks really good on paper but I do not seem to be
doing much damage with it, would you recommend I keep it? Or sell it and use
the cash for training?

Many thanks in advance for any responces.

Kevin

"Kevin Smith" <kevinsmith121@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just for info I am Level 2, in Balmora and have done a couple of the
>fighters guild quests and a couple of the thieves guild ones. Oh and I
>managed to swipe a cool looking sword from the East guard tower called the
>Sword of White Woe. it looks really good on paper but I do not seem to be
>doing much damage with it, would you recommend I keep it? Or sell it and use
>the cash for training?

Fix it.

Apparently at some point prior to your arrival on morrowind, the
guards of Balmora had to fight off a raging horde of pet rocks.
Pet rocks in heavy daedric armor. This left the bulk of their
weapons caches in incredibly bad condition. As stolen, the bladed
weapons in those towers are in such bad shape, they would do good
to fight off a Warm Butter Atronach. :)

You can take it to a blacksmith and pay for repairs, or buy
hammers or tongs from them and make repairs yourself.

I would go the self repair route. It's a skill worth developing.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:52:06 +0100, Kevin Smith
<kevinsmith121@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So which mods would you recommend? As I say, I do not want to cheat, or
> mod the game beyond recognition but any mods that enhance the gameplay,
> or get rid of any potential annoyances or bugs would be great.

For starters I recommend the following (official) mods:
Master Index (provides you with an additional way to travel)
Area Effect Arrows (if you like bows, you need this)
Bitter Coast Sounds (adds a little more athmosphere)

All of these can be downloaded from
http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php?url=/downloads/download_redirect.htm&bg=05

In addition you might find the "real signposts" mod useful.
You'll find it at
http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modpages/top10s.asp
for example.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:07:54 +0200, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) Bjoern Liffers
<bjoernhenning.liffers@dialup.fh-aachen.de> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:52:06 +0100, Kevin Smith
><kevinsmith121@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> So which mods would you recommend? As I say, I do not want to cheat, or
>> mod the game beyond recognition but any mods that enhance the gameplay,
>> or get rid of any potential annoyances or bugs would be great.
>
>For starters I recommend the following (official) mods:
>Master Index (provides you with an additional way to travel)
>Area Effect Arrows (if you like bows, you need this)
>Bitter Coast Sounds (adds a little more athmosphere)
>
>All of these can be downloaded from
>http://www.elderscrolls.com/index.php?url=/downloads/download_redirect.htm&bg=05
>
>In addition you might find the "real signposts" mod useful.
>You'll find it at
>http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/modpages/top10s.asp
>for example.

Bjoern,

He might also want to try the "Animal Realism" mod. found at:
http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php that you suggested in a prior
thread. I haven't tried it either, however it does sound like it would
make the game more realistic and enjoyable for new or low level
characters, as well as for people who just hate the annoyingly frequent
attacks be cliffracers and other low level creatures...

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:31:43 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

> Bjoern,
>
> He might also want to try the "Animal Realism" mod. found at:
> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php that you suggested in a prior
> thread. I haven't tried it either, however it does sound like it would
> make the game more realistic and enjoyable for new or low level
> characters, as well as for people who just hate the annoyingly frequent
> attacks be cliffracers and other low level creatures...

You're right. I have tried the mod by now, but it seemed to affect only
those creatures I never encountered before. Some areas really where
peaceful, but those I visited frequently hadn't changed much. My problem
is that I have the "Water Nymphs and other Creatures" mod installed which
among other creatures has added a new (annoying) sub-species of the
cliffracer to the game. So I can't tell for sure why it affects only
some of the animals it is supposed to change.
Well, the mod is safe to use and it surely makes things easier for
low level charakters, even if it doesn't affect all animals.
A note for those who travel to the Ashlands: The mod does not
change the behaviour of Daedra such as Scamps, Hungers etc.

Bjoern Liffers expounded thusly :
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:31:43 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:
>

>> Bjoern,
>>
>> He might also want to try the "Animal Realism" mod. found at:
>> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php that you suggested in a
>> prior thread. I haven't tried it either, however it does sound like
>> it would make the game more realistic and enjoyable for new or low
>> level characters, as well as for people who just hate the annoyingly
>> frequent attacks be cliffracers and other low level creatures...
>
> You're right. I have tried the mod by now, but it seemed to affect
> only those creatures I never encountered before. Some areas really
> where peaceful, but those I visited frequently hadn't changed much.
> My problem is that I have the "Water Nymphs and other Creatures" mod
> installed which among other creatures has added a new (annoying)
> sub-species of the cliffracer to the game. So I can't tell for sure
> why it affects only some of the animals it is supposed to change.
> Well, the mod is safe to use and it surely makes things easier for
> low level charakters, even if it doesn't affect all animals.
> A note for those who travel to the Ashlands: The mod does not
> change the behaviour of Daedra such as Scamps, Hungers etc.

Your saved game still has the data prior to the plugin. They will
respawn eventually and contain the new data, or quicker if you kill them
:)

-mb

icon

Welcome.

Normally I hate web based forums, official ones even more so, but the elder
scrolls ones are a real exception.
I really reccomend heading over to www.elderscrolls.com and joining the
forums. The Mods forums is usually very helpful.

Also check out http://thelys.mwsource.com/ for some great mods. be sure to
pick up, Better Heads which, well, makes all the heads and faces of the
characters look a WHOLE lot better, and even use less polygons. Olso get
FPSOptimiser from the utilities section to really make the game run quite a
bit smoother.

Also try out the Visual Pack which you can get here
http://khalazza.production.free.fr/ which makes the landscape, rocks, trees
etc.. look much better.

At www.euro-morrowind.com you can get my textures, search for Carnajo under
authors, which make the cities look a whole lot better.

Also, if your system is low end then you might notice a decrease in
performance with the texture packs.
Better Heads won't affect performance (should increase slightly actually).

Check http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?dir=Carnajo
for my screenshots.

"Icon" <nospam@nspm.com> wrote in message
> Welcome.
>
> Normally I hate web based forums, official ones even more so, but the
elder
> scrolls ones are a real exception.
> I really reccomend heading over to www.elderscrolls.com and joining the
> forums. The Mods forums is usually very helpful.
>
> Also check out http://thelys.mwsource.com/ for some great mods. be sure to
> pick up, Better Heads which, well, makes all the heads and faces of the
> characters look a WHOLE lot better, and even use less polygons. Olso get
> FPSOptimiser from the utilities section to really make the game run quite
> bit smoother.
>
> Also try out the Visual Pack which you can get here
> http://khalazza.production.free.fr/ which makes the landscape, rocks,
trees
> etc.. look much better.
>
> At www.euro-morrowind.com you can get my textures, search for Carnajo
under
> authors, which make the cities look a whole lot better.
>
> Also, if your system is low end then you might notice a decrease in
> performance with the texture packs.
> Better Heads won't affect performance (should increase slightly actually).
>
> Check http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/browse.php?dir=Carnajo
> for my screenshots.

Many thanks for all your help on this everyone, i am going to try this lot
out.

Kevin

Hi, Icon! This is a friendly line to let people know who I'm talking
to!

> Olso get
> FPSOptimiser from the utilities section to really make the game run
> quite a bit smoother.

If I may be so bold to mention it:

The versions of the Optimizer that float around the web tend to be older
copies. Last year, I offered Alex Stasenko a permanent 'official' North
American mirror at LowGenius.Com. In exchange for this, he agreed to
ensure that I *always* have the latest version of all four flavors of the
FPS optimizer first, and it's nice and fast, which Alex's server in Russia
(which is what thelys links to) definitely ISN'T.

I don't even have the url handy, just buzz over to lowgenius.com and look
under the games - morrowind menu.

--
John Henry
www.lowgenius.com

pc gamer 101

Honorable
okay. here are some helpful mods that don't completely kill it
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Official_Plug-ins
the area affect arrows are cool (and the addition of someone who specializes in archery is good), but not excessive, and the master index is a fun challenging quest (both are official mods)
the BTB mods edit some annoying things (i.e. some stuff is worth absurd amounts, or legendary items are to insane)
they make the game smoother, more fun, i recommend the "weathered sign posts" mod, the "Herbalism for purists" mod, the "Morrowind code patch" mod, if/when you install bloodmoon, get forgotten halls+neverhalls, once you install tribunal+bloodmoon get the "BTB's Game Improvements" equipment one. the legendary armor and weapons are completely overkill w/o it (Think 260 armor rating and HUUUUUUUGEly excessive enchantments). the mod should be taken off while fighting the insane lady in tribunal, and the king, and once you beat the game and just feel like screwing around, take the thing off!!! very entertaining!!!