generic printer drivers - what are they?

HP informed me that the driver for the 990c is the generic driver for the 6100 series. They mentioned
that it's the driver that get's installed for network printer. My question is: I've never heard of this
concept of a generic driver. Is there a list of these along maybe some sort of explanation somewhere?
For example, I hate the driver for my Office Jet T45, I would like to use a lighter weight driver
without all the software and print manager.

More about generic printer drivers they

    In very early versions of Windows this generic driver was called
    unidriver (universal driver)

    On 21-Apr-2005, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I've never heard of this
    > >concept of a generic driver.

    It's a generalised, suit as many devices as possible driver,
    not optimised for a particular piece of hardware.

    With modems you can select a specific USRobotics model,
    or go for a generic external 56k modem. In the latter
    case you could connect a Zoom, USR, or Microcom
    and they would work because they use a common
    set of AT control codes.

    Linux is mostly generic drivers, since until recently,
    and even now, mfrs don't supply Linux drivers. Buy
    a digi camera and it won't say Linux on the box,
    and many don't say Mac. Had to check this when
    buying a camera for my daughter, she has a new
    Mac laptop. Found a Pentax that said Mac supported.

    <printerease@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:42674b19$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > HP informed me that the driver for the 990c is the generic driver for the
    > 6100 series. They mentioned
    > that it's the driver that get's installed for network printer. My question
    > is: I've never heard of this
    > concept of a generic driver. Is there a list of these along maybe some sort
    > of explanation somewhere?
    > For example, I hate the driver for my Office Jet T45, I would like to use a
    > lighter weight driver
    > without all the software and print manager.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00302767&lc=en
    has a list of generic drivers for various Officejet products including the T45.
    Basically the generic driver is just a printer driver that has basic
    functionality, often the PCL drivers for the printer model the all-in-one
    device was based on.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Bob, I searched the site for alternative drivers for deskjet printers, but I
    haven't found the corresponding page. Could you please instruct me?

    --

    Yianni
    in@mailbox9.gr (áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

    --

    "Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message news:1114299666.30605@athnrd02...
    > Bob, I searched the site for alternative drivers for deskjet printers, but I
    > haven't found the corresponding page. Could you please instruct me?

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd04838
    has a list of alternative drivers for DeskJet printers. Most DeskJet's support
    PCL and the DeskJet 550C driver will work.

    Regards,

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals