Sign in with
Your question

SCSI cant be detected?

Last response: in Storage
July 3, 2006 8:11:11 AM

Im having a problem with my 2 new SCSI HDs, its a 18 gb 15k RPM and a 73gb 10k RPM Compaq HDs. When i boot up, it goes into SCSI boot mode ánd scans for HDs, it then detects a HDD on ID0 and my 15k rpm HD starts to deliver alot of clicking noises.. But it finds my HD, but it doenst assign anything under HD#, it just says: FAILED and im then unable to boot up.

Im running a Compaq 64bit/66mhz adapter. Ive heard about "Terminators" but i dunno if i got any.. I got 2 adapter that i put on the end of my HDs to connect them to power and to the adapter - is that the terminator? :?

Its my first time running with SCSI, and i would appreciate any help..

Edit: This is the adapters i got:

Edit, edit: And this is my SCSI card

More about : scsi detected

July 3, 2006 9:01:01 AM

Quote:
Im having a problem with my 2 new SCSI HDs, its a 18 gb 15k RPM and a 73gb 10k RPM Compaq HDs. When i boot up, it goes into SCSI boot mode ánd scans for HDs, it then detects a HDD on ID0 and my 15k rpm HD starts to deliver alot of clicking noises.. But it finds my HD, but it doenst assign anything under HD#, it just says: FAILED and im then unable to boot up.

Im running a Compaq 64bit/66mhz adapter. Ive heard about "Terminators" but i dunno if i got any.. I got 2 adapter that i put on the end of my HDs to connect them to power and to the adapter - is that the terminator? :?

Its my first time running with SCSI, and i would appreciate any help..

Edit: This is the adapters i got:

Edit, edit: And this is my SCSI card

Each SCSI device in the system must have a unique SCSI ID and the SCSI bus must be properly terminated.

Typically the SCSI controller itself uses SCSI ID 7.

The green adapter in the picture is an 80pin SCA to 68pin SCSI adapter.

The jumpers on the adapter allow you to set the SCSI ID.

Make sure one drive is using ID 0, the other ID 1 and that the controller is using ID 7 or 15.

Your controller will prompt you to press CTRL+A or CTRL+B or another key combination to go into the controller's BIOS were you can change the controller ID, turn termination on and off, change boot settings, etc.

Normally the last device in a SCSI bus must be terminated unless an external terminator is used.

The SCA adapter normally provides a jumper to turn termination on.

If your 68pin LVD SCSI cable has an active terminator on the end you must make sure termination is turned off on each HDD.
July 3, 2006 9:35:43 AM

Thx for the answer :) 

Ive tryed assigning the controller port 7 and 15, and assigning the HDs ID0 and ID1 but it still doesnt work.

As far as i know, i dont need a terminator because i got 2 cables with only 2 ports, 1 for the adapter and 1 for the HD. Theres a jumper on my SCSI controller, is that the terminator ur talking about? Theres also several more writings on the Adapters. Theres: ID0, ID1, ID2, ID3, MTR, DLY, SYN and LED. What is the last 4 jumpers for?

And do you have any idea what the clicking sound is?
Related resources
July 3, 2006 10:39:48 AM

Quote:
Thx for the answer :) 

Ive tryed assigning the controller port 7 and 15, and assigning the HDs ID0 and ID1 but it still doesnt work.

As far as i know, i dont need a terminator because i got 2 cables with only 2 ports, 1 for the adapter and 1 for the HD. Theres a jumper on my SCSI controller, is that the terminator ur talking about? Theres also several more writings on the Adapters. Theres: ID0, ID1, ID2, ID3, MTR, DLY, SYN and LED. What is the last 4 jumpers for?

And do you have any idea what the clicking sound is?

If your controller, drives and cable are U80, U160 or U320 LVD SCSI then you will need a 68pin LVD SCSI terminator.

This is a 68pin LVD cable with a terminator attached:

This is the LVD terminator:

If your drives are not U80, U160, or U320 then you need to use a non-LVD cable and terminator.

MTR= REMOTE START

DLY= DELAYED START

SYN= SYNCHRONOUS

LED= for connecting an LED ( light emitting diode )

You can read more about SCA adapters here:

http://www.computercablesource.com/SearchResult.aspx?Ca...

Please post the model numbers and jumper settings of all your drives.

PS I hope this is not the case, but strange clicking noises may indicate the drive is bad.
July 3, 2006 11:11:28 AM

15k rpm disk model nr. is: BF01863644 and jumpers are on ID0 and 10k rpm is: BC072638A2 and jumper is on ID1 both is Wide Ultra3 SCSI. I have tryed pretty much all jumper settings..
July 3, 2006 11:55:43 AM

Have you tried one at a time? And each on a different channel?

I've never installed (or even seen) any terminators for my (albeit basic) SCSI setup in my 'mess-about' rig (what should I look for if I'm looking for them?)
July 3, 2006 12:17:26 PM

Quote:
15k rpm disk model nr. is: BF01863644 and jumpers are on ID0 and 10k rpm is: BC072638A2 and jumper is on ID1 both is Wide Ultra3 SCSI. I have tryed pretty much all jumper settings..

Wide Ultra3 SCSI = U160 = LVD

so you have to use a cable with an LVD terminator on the end like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra3-SCSI-LVD-Twisted-Pair-Cable-...
July 3, 2006 12:21:19 PM

But do i need a terminator? As far as i know, you only need a terminator when you got 2 or more disks connected to 1 cable? I got 2 cables, 1 for each disk - that wouldnt require a terminator, would it?
July 3, 2006 12:24:44 PM

Quote:
But do i need a terminator? As far as i know, you only need a terminator when you got 2 or more disks connected to 1 cable? I got 2 cables, 1 for each disk - that wouldnt require a terminator, would it?

A SCSI bus must always be terminated on both ends ( the controller end and the device end ).

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/scsi_term....
July 3, 2006 12:49:01 PM

It cant just be the controller thats fecked up? Or the HDs emselves?
July 3, 2006 1:03:23 PM

Quote:

The last device on a SCSI cable must be terminated, even if it is the only device. If the SCSI card is recognizing the drive, but then fails to work when attempting to transfer data, you have a termination problem. Period. (Unless it's a bad drive, to be considered only once you KNOW it's terminated properly) Reflections from the unterminated end caused by the impedance mismatch will distort the signals. You MUST terminate the cable at the hard drive end.
July 3, 2006 1:24:20 PM

Quote:

You have to use the cable pictured above with an LVD terminator.

The bus must be terminated for it to work.

You also have to make sure the cable is rated for at least U160 ( 160MB/sec ) any less and you will have performance problems.
July 3, 2006 1:57:35 PM

kk thx for your help. Terminators are ordered :p 
July 3, 2006 2:06:04 PM

Quote:
kk thx for your help. Terminators are ordered :p 

yw :-D

Is your cable flat or twisted by the way?

Only twisted cables should be used with U80 / U160 and U320.
July 3, 2006 2:18:38 PM

Flat
July 3, 2006 2:25:45 PM

Quote:
Flat

Straight flat runs at 40MB/sec max.

Flat with twisted pairs can run at 80 / 160 / 320MB/sec

I strongly recommend the latter.

good luck
July 3, 2006 2:52:22 PM

1 more question :p 

Do the terminator for the HD end have to be mounted on the HD or can it be mounted on the Adapter?
July 3, 2006 3:02:31 PM

Did you turn off both terminators one on each drive if not you now have two dead drives and a cooked cable as power is supplied across pin25. Also if you did not disable termination you may cooked the controller have seen this done many compaq, sgi, Macs, and Intergraph machines.
July 3, 2006 3:16:57 PM

Quote:
1 more question :p 

Do the terminator for the HD end have to be mounted on the HD or can it be mounted on the Adapter?

Neither. The terminator plugs into the last connector on the cable.

The rest of the connectors plug into the SCA adapters which in turn plug into the drives.

SCSI controller
HDD0, HDD1 or not connected
terminator
July 3, 2006 3:53:08 PM

I have no idea how to turn off termination, as i see it, there is no termination on the cables. I got the set off of a friend which had used it with no terminator on it.

And Linux, will the cables also supply the power or wha?
July 6, 2006 5:56:57 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how to turn off termination, as i see it, there is no termination on the cables. I got the set off of a friend which had used it with no terminator on it.

And Linux, will the cables also supply the power or wha?

There must be termination as linux has already said. You need to list the scsi drives model and specs so we can help etch out your set up. The adapter you have (assuming all your drive are SCA 160 drives) will be needed for each hard drive. Be carefull with these becuase once a power connector is on the mini-board it becomes live. So there is your answer, power comes in via 4 pin connector attached to the hdd adapter.

Linux_0, you've done a great job with helping, I'm impressed.
!