as far as i know,intel will publish conroe on july 23,
but now i want to buy a computer,i hear that conroe beats all cpus
which are published now totaly
what should i do ,wait or buy now?
all ideas are appreciated

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
There are lots of questions you should be asking yourself. Is it absolutely imperative that you buy a new computer right this instant? Are you satisfied with the performance/price that you can get by purchasing right now? How much money do you have budgeted for this computer?

In my opinion, if you can wait about a month, you really should do so, because not only are Core 2 Duo processors out, which almost without a doubt will blow away all current CPUs, but prices for dual-core P-4 and AMD 64 X-2 processors are going to drop like rocks in the sea if you are on a tight budget.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Not that it makes much difference, but the release date has been pushed back to July 27. I would count on adding a couple weeks for availability, as demand should be pretty crazy at first.

GL :)

Here's a post from one of the topics I responded to. Perhaps it will help you with your decision.

The following article should help:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/intel-conroe-2-13-ghz.html

It compares the Conroe E6700 and E6400 against the the AMD FX-60 & FX-62. The Athlon FX are very expensive CPUs for the enthusiats, they can be had for around $800 and $1200 respectively.

The E6700 is the second fastest Conroe CPU. The X6800 is the fastest. The E6400 is the second slowest Conroe duo core that will be available for sale.

Some people may consider the data to be preliminary since Conroe is not on sale yet. But it is just one of many independent sites that have posted Conroe benchmarks recently. You can do a Google search for others.

AMD will but cutting prices on the Athlons on July 24th to compete against Conroe on price. However, a socket AM2 and socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 CPU of the same model (i.e. AM2 X2 3800+, and S939 X2 3800+) basically performs the same. AMD has stated this several times, yet some people thought an AM2 CPU would be faster than a S939 CPU (of the same model). They were mistaken because they simply thought anything new would be faster and didn't bother to read any benchmark reviews.

I did see a review somewhere that showed an AM2 Athlon can be faster than a S939 Athlon if you use DDR2 800 RAM which is more expensive than DDR2 667 RAM or the regular DDR 400 RAM for S939. The various benchmarks that they uses showed a peformance gain of 0% - 6% with an average 3% performance gain. Also take into consideration that as with any test there is a 2% or 3% for margin of error which can erase any performance gains. If I can find the article I will post it.

Conroe represent an all new approach to CPU design by Intel. They have more or less abandoned pure speed in favor of a more efficinent design. This is similar to what AMD has done several years ago when they first introduced the original Athlon. Gone are the days of hot and fast CPUs. Conroe will be on average about as "cool running" as today's Athlon 64s. Taking a page from AMD's book, Conroe will be running slower than the Pentium 4. The slowest Conroe, E6300, will be clocked at about 1.86GHz, the fastest Conroe, X6800, will be clocked at 2.93GHz.

One important distinction between Conroe and other CPUs, including the AMD Athlon 64 X2, is the fact that it can run or execute 4 instructions at the same time rather than just 3. Simply stated, if you are printing a 100 page Word document which would you rather choose? Printer #1 that can print 10 pages per minute? Or Printer #2 than can print 14 pages per minute? This is over simplifying things, but the benchmarks between Conroe and Athlon 64 X2 speaks for themselves.

If you cannot wait, then get either an AM2 or S939 Athlon 64 X2. Basically there are no performance difference. Since S939 motherboards have been around for a while most of the bugs have been fixed and those mobos should be very stable. AM2 motherboards are new which means those mobos can be somewhat unstable. There have been many posts that has stated AM2 mobo are very picky about which brandname of RAM can be used.

If you do not plan on upgrading the CPU for three or more years then getting a S939 Athlon 64 may make sense since there is basically no performance difference with a similar AM2 CPU and the mobos are more or less stable. After three years you may want to replace all or most of your hardware anyway. If you plan on upgrading the CPU within 3 years to a X2 5000+ or faster (or AMD's next generation CPU the K8L) then it makes sense to buy an AM2 Athlon 64.

However, if peformance is what you want and you can wait until August, then Conroe is worth considering.

===================

Corrected the speed of Conroe E6300; 1.86GHz is the correct speed. The Conroe E6400 is 2.13GHz.

AiloveHaibara

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
thanks for anyone's replies
i want to buy a new cpmputer just because i want to enjoy more 3d games,i even haven't played some classical games!
now i want to wait for the revolutional cpu
if you were me,which will you choose?

wait or buy not wait?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Prices all over will plummit.
OMG! the world is about to be shook and shake!! the world will end. OMFG its just a CPU some guy summerise the "CORE 2 DUO" like its Jesus or SOme god guy comming back. damn take a chyll pill its ony a 4node per work unit and a 65nm revision damn dont have to kill goats and sheep to sacrifice to the CORE 2 DUO gods

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
If you hurry, buy now. If not, wait for Conroe.
If you buy now and you plain to upgrade soon than buy Pentium D 805 with i975BX mainboard and DDR2-667 CL4(or DDR2-800 if you want to overclock. Latter you will upgrade it with Conroe.
If you don't plain to upgarade than buy s939 X2, NForce 4 mainboard, DDR400 CL2.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
damn take a chyll pill its ony a 4node per work unit
You are a retard. K8 is only 3. Go shoot some more heroin. :roll:
YOUR a DUMbA$$ mofo idiot I was talking about COre 2 DUO. not the K8 you mofo dumba$$ iknow that the k8 had only 3node workunits per cycle. dumbass. look whos the dog now man

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
damn take a chyll pill its ony a 4node per work unit
You are a retard. AndK8 is only 3. Go shoot some more heroin. :roll:
YOUR a DUMbA$$ mofo idiot I was talking about COre 2 DUO. not the K8 you mofo dumba$$ iknow that the k8 had only 3node workunits per cycle. dumbass. look whos the dog now manAre you sure you're parents know you're in here. Maybe you should be cleaning your room, then take out the garbage. How did you become a member...you obviously aren't over 13.

PS. There i made it easier for you to understand.I can spell it out for you if you want.

thanks for anyone's replies
i want to buy a new cpmputer just because i want to enjoy more 3d games,i even haven't played some classical games!
now i want to wait for the revolutional cpu
if you were me,which will you choose?

wait or buy not wait?

I would choose Conroe over the Athlon 64. I postponed my upgrade to an Athlon 64 earlier this year based on the research I've done on Conroe. By the time when Conroe (Core 2 Duo) CPUs are available for sale to retail customers in August, my PC will be over 4 years old.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hey guys, I don't want to piss off anybody, but here in Montreal I can purchased my Core2Duo system right now.

Go to www.microbytes.com , in the system builder section. Select Intel 775 system and see. You can also see it in the component section.

Here's what it shows in the components part, but remember it's canadian$, so remove about 10-13% for US$, first price paid credit, second one cash:

INTEL 23618 INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6300 1.86G/1066/2M/S775 $256.47 $249.00
INTEL 23619 INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13G/1066/2M/S775 $307.97 $299.00
INTEL 23620 INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4G/1066/4M/S775 $427.45 $415.00
INTEL 23621 INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6700 2.66G/1066/4M/S775 $715.85 $695.00
INTEL 23622 INTEL CORE 2 DUO X6800 2.93G/1066/4M/S775 $1,337.97 $1,299.00

Now, for curiosity, I add AMD price, still canadian$:

AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23141 AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 2.00G/2000/512K/AM2 $369.77 $359.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23143 AMD ATHLON64 X2 4200+ 2.20G/2000/512K/AM2 $448.05 $435.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23146 AMD ATHLON64 X2 4400+ 2.20G/2000/1M/AM2 $575.77 $559.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23144 AMD ATHLON64 X2 4600+ 2.40G/2000/512K/AM2 $689.07 $669.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23148 AMD ATHLON64 X2 4800+ 2.40G/2000/1M/AM2 $792.07 $769.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23145 AMD ATHLON64 X2 5000+ 2.60G/2000/512K/AM2 $860.05 $835.00
AMD ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES 23464 AMD ATHLON64 FX-62 2.80G/2000/2x1M/AM2 $1,529.55 $1,485.00

I know AMD cpu price will shortly come down, but still interesting.

Hey guys, I don't want to piss off anybody, but here in Montreal I can purchased my Core2Duo system right now.

You Canadians suck. :D

I think they are simply listing it as part of their catelog.

If they were to actually sell them before the July 27th "embargo date", then Intel would be royally pissed off. OEM and retailers usually sign contract agreements which would include the date available for sale. That means they could be taken to court and in the worse case scenario pay a fine and be denied any future shipments of Conroe (Core 2 Duo) CPUs.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I can't tell. I ask myself the same question. But it's still fun to be able right now to know how much it's gonna cost when available in a month on the release date.

I have to say tough that usually when the part is uavailable, the put it as B-Order beside the price with the date they think it will be available beside it. I know it look to me like the unannounce price cut from Intel seem to be already effective looking at the price of the PentiumD 950.

I'll try to let you know anyway. I'm going to see them this week-end coming for my future system that I plan to buy this september coming. I'll know then if they have it available, because I know one of their employee fairly well, so I guess he'll tell me if they want to keep it low for "good customer" :D .

I think most probably they have it at their Pointe-Claire store, but not at the other one. That's always the way it is over there.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

You Canadians suck. :D

I think they are simply listing it as part of their catelog.

If they were to actually sell them before the July 27th "embargo date", then Intel would be royally pissed off. OEM and retailers usually sign contract agreements which would include the date available for sale. That means they could be taken to court and in the worse case scenario pay a fine and be denied any future shipments of Conroe (Core 2 Duo) CPUs.

Lolls. Yup were the worlds stupident when it comes to Legality WE have P2p legal. Marijuanna is legal. getting married to a 12 yr old girl is legal(quebec) and oh yeah anybody remember the only people in the world to leak our first copys of the "Harry potter books"??? that was us up in brampton. some dumbass immigrant indian or chinese guy did it i think musta been looking at the chinese calender and time an thoguh it was that day but it was 2-3 days off.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
There are lots of questions you should be asking yourself. Is it absolutely imperative that you buy a new computer right this instant? Are you satisfied with the performance/price that you can get by purchasing right now? How much money do you have budgeted for this computer?

In my opinion, if you can wait about a month, you really should do so, because not only are Core 2 Duo processors out, which almost without a doubt will blow away all current CPUs, but prices for dual-core P-4 and AMD 64 X-2 processors are going to drop like rocks in the sea if you are on a tight budget.

Good advice. Follow it.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
getting married to a 12 yr old girl is legal(quebec)

What the hell is this!!! Is this some sort of crap from piss-off poeple from Toronto. Nowhere in the country is it legal to marry a 12 years old child. 200 years ago when the church would rule everything maybe, but look at how well the church is doing here in Quebec and realize you're totally off track my friend. That's just like French (has in France) poeple thinking we still live in the forrest chasing bear with our bare-hand. I mean come-on! Type Montreal in google ang go check the city. Add to this F1 race, jazz festival and Madonna that made her only show in Canada here 2 weeks ago and tell me we're just a bunch of dumbass after.

Now sorry if you were joking or just misinform, but at least other poeple will know.

And MicroBytes store are also in the province of Quebec :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
getting married to a 12 yr old girl is legal(quebec)

What the hell is this!!! Is this some sort of crap from piss-off poeple from Toronto. Nowhere in the country is it legal to marry a 12 years old child. 200 years ago when the church would rule everything maybe, but look at how well the church is doing here in Quebec and realize you're totally off track my friend. That's just like French (has in France) poeple thinking we still live in the forrest chasing bear with our bare-hand. I mean come-on! Type Montreal in google ang go check the city. Add to this F1 race, jazz festival and Madonna that made her only show in Canada here 2 weeks ago and tell me we're just a bunch of dumbass after.

Now sorry if you were joking or just misinform, but at least other poeple will know.

And MicroBytes store are also in the province of Quebec :wink:He's a complete stoner!! Marijauna isn't legal in Canada. They are trying to make it legal, and likely will, but it looks like that isn't stopping him anyway. :roll:

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks 1Tanker, :wink: I had miss this one. Too shocked of seeing poeple were thinking this.

Now that I look at his post anyway, I write better than him but I'm french speaking. I guess it tells a lot about him. :?

Back to Conroe everybody please! I didn't want to start a political discussion here, but I got hooked.

My bad! :oops:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Back "ON TOPIC",

Given there is a CPU generational change available in such a short time I "would advise and have advised" that people "WAIT".

I would never encourage people to WAIT for a minor arch change such as the 800 series intel to the 900 series. However, this is anything BUT minor. This brings about the next gen procs "from both companies".

Best advice is to WAIT. If it were several months out and you were really jonesing then I would say build, but we are already very close to a release.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

it always takes time to debug the manufacturing process for a complex high-tech product, like the 6700 and the versions of motherboards that support it (975, 965).

if you want to be part of that debugging process, buy one now.

if you don't want to be part of the "new product introduction to manufacturing" debugging process, wait about 6 months.

one of the other aspects of waiting ... you save money ... usually. ("the longer you wait, the lower the prices get.")

but it sure is tempting !

If you wait you get conroe, if you wait longer, you will get its sucessor, POINT BEING? BUY THEN!