Server roles

petek

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

We plan on taking an existing WinNT domain to a new Win2003 Active
Directory. There are existing Win2000 member servers in the NT4 domain.
After the conversion, can one of these Win2000 servers play a domain
controller role in the new domain without upgrading the box to Win2003?

Thank you.

Petek wrote:
> We plan on taking an existing WinNT domain to a new Win2003 Active
> Directory. There are existing Win2000 member servers in the NT4
> domain. After the conversion, can one of these Win2000 servers play a
> domain controller role in the new domain without upgrading the box to
> Win2003?
>
> Thank you.

Hi Petek,
if you have a domain in mixed mode, there is no problems to promote a
windows 2000 member server to domain controller.
You can find more information here:

Enabling Windows Server 2003 Functional Levels in a Mixed Windows 2000
Environment
http://snipurl.com/btfm

--
Massimiliano Luciani
MCSE:Security MCSA:Security MCDBA

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights