Event ID: 1054
Date: 1/6/2005
Time: 11:22:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: LPTDEVELDR
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
(The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
Group Policy processing aborted.

When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.

Any help is appreciated.

Sean
2 answers Last reply
More about client find domain

    Usually this means the client is not pointed to the DNS server that holds
    the srv records for the domain.

    Basically AD must have a DNS server set up for AD. Point the AD DNS server
    to itself in the properties of TCP/IP for DNS. This will allow the DNS
    server to register it's own srv records in the DNS zone it houses. Point ALL
    AD clients to the AD DNS server ONLY. This will allow clients of AD to find
    the srv records registered on the DNS server for the domain (if they don't
    find these records because they are not there or because the client is
    pointed to a different DNS server, usually your ISP's DNS server, you will
    get the domain not found error).
    See:
    Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    For Internet access either set up your DNS server to forward requests and
    list your ISP's DNS servers as the forwarders (this is the only place on
    your AD domain your ISP's DNS server should be listed) or use root hints.

    See:

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "HelpPls" <smd6169@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have 1 XP SP1 machine that continually receives the following error log:
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Userenv
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 1054
    > Date: 1/6/2005
    > Time: 11:22:30 AM
    > User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    > Computer: LPTDEVELDR
    > Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer
    network.
    > (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
    > Group Policy processing aborted.
    >
    > When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
    > command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
    > find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
    > re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Sean

    In addition to Danny's answer, netdiag.exe is one of the support tools. You
    can find it under the \support folder on your Windows media. You can
    download the 2003 ones from download.microsoft.com.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    Date: 1/6/2005
    Time: 11:22:30 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: LPTDEVELDR
    Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
    (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
    Group Policy processing aborted.

    When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
    command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
    find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
    re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Sean

Domain Windows XP Active Directory Windows