Event ID: 1054
Date: 1/6/2005
Time: 11:22:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: LPTDEVELDR
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
(The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
Group Policy processing aborted.

When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.

Any help is appreciated.

Sean

Usually this means the client is not pointed to the DNS server that holds
the srv records for the domain.

Basically AD must have a DNS server set up for AD. Point the AD DNS server
to itself in the properties of TCP/IP for DNS. This will allow the DNS
server to register it's own srv records in the DNS zone it houses. Point ALL
AD clients to the AD DNS server ONLY. This will allow clients of AD to find
the srv records registered on the DNS server for the domain (if they don't
find these records because they are not there or because the client is
pointed to a different DNS server, usually your ISP's DNS server, you will
get the domain not found error).
See:
Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

For Internet access either set up your DNS server to forward requests and
list your ISP's DNS servers as the forwarders (this is the only place on
your AD domain your ISP's DNS server should be listed) or use root hints.

See:

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"HelpPls" <smd6169@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have 1 XP SP1 machine that continually receives the following error log:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Userenv
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1054
> Date: 1/6/2005
> Time: 11:22:30 AM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: LPTDEVELDR
> Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer
network.
> (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
> Group Policy processing aborted.
>
> When I run netdig, I get a message indicating that it is not a recognized
> command. Is the install of XP corrupt? Is that why the machine can not
> find the domain it belongs to? I even tried dis-joining, renaming and
> re-joining the domain but I am still getting this error.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Sean

In addition to Danny's answer, netdiag.exe is one of the support tools. You
can find it under the \support folder on your Windows media. You can
download the 2003 ones from download.microsoft.com.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/