Setting password complexity

I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users' passwords
to be at least seven characters in length and include some combination of
letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the necessary steps on doing
this. Please help! My job may depend on it (no joke). Thanks.

--
Tom G
8 answers Last reply

    I don't know if XP has that capability natively but if any group would have
    the answer it would likely be, windowsxp.configuration_manage or
    windowsxp.network_web, please try your question in those two groups.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users'
    >passwords
    > to be at least seven characters in length and include some combination of
    > letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the necessary steps on doing
    > this. Please help! My job may depend on it (no joke). Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Tom G

    Hi,

    Start/run secpol.msc

    Expand security settings/account policies/password policy

    Set a minimum length and enable the complexity setting

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users'
    >passwords
    > to be at least seven characters in length and include some combination of
    > letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the necessary steps on doing
    > this. Please help! My job may depend on it (no joke). Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Tom G

    Oh, I did not realize that was even there, thanks, Rick.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Start/run secpol.msc
    >
    > Expand security settings/account policies/password policy
    >
    > Set a minimum length and enable the complexity setting
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users'
    >>passwords
    >> to be at least seven characters in length and include some combination of
    >> letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the necessary steps on doing
    >> this. Please help! My job may depend on it (no joke). Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tom G

    Thanks, Rick.

    Unfortunately, I wasn't specific enough when I wrote my posting. What I
    need is a way to alter the complexity requirements that exist in the
    passfilt.dll file so that users only have to meet two requirements. My
    posting was written in a panic-fueled fit.

    I think this may be beyond my abilities (it doesn't take much). If you have
    any suggestions, I'm all ears. If not, I still appreciate the help.

    Tom G.

    wrote in news:A06FCE80-F15E-4424-A2CA-D445FE306CA1@microsoft.com:
    > Thanks, Rick.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I wasn't specific enough when I wrote my posting.
    > What I need is a way to alter the complexity requirements that exist
    > in the passfilt.dll file so that users only have to meet two
    > requirements. My posting was written in a panic-fueled fit.
    >
    > I think this may be beyond my abilities (it doesn't take much). If
    > you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. If not, I still appreciate
    > the help.
    >
    > Tom G.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Start/run secpol.msc
    >>
    >> Expand security settings/account policies/password policy
    >>
    >> Set a minimum length and enable the complexity setting
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users'
    >>> passwords
    >>> to be at least seven characters in length and include some
    >>> combination of letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the
    >>> necessary steps on doing this. Please help! My job may depend on
    >>> it (no joke). Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Tom G

    It's been awhile, but my recollection is that if you want a different
    set of complexity requirements then you need to code your own .dll file
    and use that one. Since that sounds beyond your ability, I didn't
    bother hunting around Microsoft for very long. The following articles:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/secmgmt/security/installing_and_registering_a_password_filter_dll.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmgmt/security/strong_password_enforcement_and_passfilt_dll.asp

    indicate that you can alter password management. You would code
    something like as decribed at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=151082
    where, in this case, the for-loop tracks the minimum requirements of
    your custom password quality requirements.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com>
    wrote in news:%23ylNJgopEHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    > I don't know if XP has that capability natively but if any group
    > would have the answer it would likely be,
    > windowsxp.configuration_manage or windowsxp.network_web, please try
    > your question in those two groups.

    Might actually be one for the microsoft.public.security newsgroup.

    Hi Tom,

    As was indicated by Vanguardx, to use anything other than the defaults you
    need to write your own file. I can't help you there. The two options I
    mentioned can be used in combination to force a seven character password and
    that the user have a combination of letters/numbers.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Rick.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I wasn't specific enough when I wrote my posting. What I
    > need is a way to alter the complexity requirements that exist in the
    > passfilt.dll file so that users only have to meet two requirements. My
    > posting was written in a panic-fueled fit.
    >
    > I think this may be beyond my abilities (it doesn't take much). If you
    > have
    > any suggestions, I'm all ears. If not, I still appreciate the help.
    >
    > Tom G.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Start/run secpol.msc
    >>
    >> Expand security settings/account policies/password policy
    >>
    >> Set a minimum length and enable the complexity setting
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "TomG" <TomG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to create a password complexity policy that requires users'
    >> >passwords
    >> > to be at least seven characters in length and include some combination
    >> > of
    >> > letters and numbers. I can't seem to locate the necessary steps on
    >> > doing
    >> > this. Please help! My job may depend on it (no joke). Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Tom G

    Thanks, Vanguardx, good suggestion.

    --

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com>
    > wrote in news:%23ylNJgopEHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
    >> I don't know if XP has that capability natively but if any group
    >> would have the answer it would likely be,
    >> windowsxp.configuration_manage or windowsxp.network_web, please try
    >> your question in those two groups.
    >
    > Might actually be one for the microsoft.public.security newsgroup.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Policy Microsoft Windows XP