Sign in with
Your question

Whats better in terms of performance and NOT price?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2006 2:49:48 PM

What’s better in terms of performance, ATI’s cards or NVIDIA’s?

And 2 more questions:
What would you do, buy a graphic card now or wait until dx10 comes out?
If I buy the 7900GT, how long do you think it will last?

I’m planning to buy a new PC since mine is old, and my graphics card is really old (GeForce 5200FX)
please vote
July 3, 2006 3:05:24 PM

It depends what games you play.

Both current ATI's and nVidia's cards perform well, and trade blows. No clear winner.

As for the 7900GT, it should last until early '07. Maybe longer. It depends on games, and what they'll require. With DX10 coming out, game developers would want to use that technology, so it's hard to tell how long the 7900GT would last. It should give you a good run.
July 3, 2006 3:37:47 PM

First the Dx10 part. I would personally wait for a Dx10 card to come out before buying. Actually, that's actually what I am doing right now. Dx10 VPU should be out by september/november 2006 for nVidia (G80 codename) and early 2007 (if not before, codename R600) for ATI. That's if you don't mind reducing effect and resolution of your current games, just like I do with my Radeon 9800Pro right now. I'm saying this because I purchased a Radeon 8500 month before Dx9.0 card came out and I quickly regretted it.

If you don't want to wait! OpenGL games (Quake4, Doom3, and upcoming Enemy Territory) usually runs better on nVidia card. But they are only about 10-20 percent of the game released these day and that value is going down. DirectX games are about equal between ATI and nVidia with a slight adventage to ATI. Overall it's about 50/50. But if like me you don' play either Quake4 and don't intend to play Enemy Territory, I'd personally go for ATI. Otherwise, nVidia is probably a better choice. In this case 7900GT will suit you right for a long while. If you prefer an ATI card, X1800XT go out for about the same price right now and perform about the same overall, if not better.

For those saying that Dx10 is gonna be useless without Windows Vista, I say at least you won't have to purchased a new VPU to benefit from Dx10 effect when you'll upgrade. That and that Dx10 card will, if history prove right, perform way better at Dx9.0 title than Dx9.0 card. This because they will surpass Dx9.0 specifications by so muchh that their will be no bottleneck to slow them, if only for this.

My 2 cents. :) 
Related resources
July 3, 2006 4:27:52 PM

Good insight, nightly.

I bought a 7900GT and it's great. Runs BF2, Halo, UT2003, and other games at their maximum widescreen resolution with all the details maxed at steadily high framerates. No problems. I don't expect any drops in performance in new games until DX10 comes out, at which point I'll want to upgrade anyway.

I'll probably save my pennies and upgrade to a high-end DX10 card within a year or two. That's the next upgrade I intend to make.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 4:51:03 PM

if you are going to buy a card now buy the ati x1600 or the 7600gt
they are cheaper and they will play all the games out there just fine
unless you want the highest possiable eye candyand are willing to shell out almost twice the money for the x18and1900 or the 7900
when dx10 and vista come out there will be new cards at the same price
<probably> and the 7900 and x18 and 1900s wont cut it
altough i believe they will be bacwards compatible with dx9
July 3, 2006 5:08:08 PM

I'm waiting for DX10 cards to come out before I upgrade my graphics card or buy Oblivion. The DX10 cards will have no problem with even the most advanced DX9 games, whereas Oblivion eats all DX9 cards alive. Also, $50 is too much for a game.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 7:00:04 PM

Quote:
Also, $50 is too much for a game.

Depends man. I've already got about 50+hours out of it, and I'm a long LONG way from finished. I play(ed) Morrowing for 1,000+ hours with all the mods, etc.

So relative to the ~15hours of D3 before I gotted so bored I stopped, I prefer spending the money on Oblivion, than even half as much for D3.

Heck I liked/loved HL2 and there's no comparison the amount of value from Oblivion.

The only thing close to equal to Morrowing IMO was UT2K4, and it's still a distant second.
July 3, 2006 7:02:21 PM

Quote:
I play(ed) Morrowing for 1,000+ hours with all the mods, etc.

What? Dude, where you get the time?
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 7:41:06 PM

4 years of play.
Seriously when it first came out I played about 8-12+ hours a day.

One weekend in particular I played about 36+ hours almost straight (break for bathroom, break for quick food replacement).

Heck it's still on my laptop and I played it right up until Oblivion came out.

The user-made mods are a wicked reason to keep playing. For Morrowind there was a Castlevania mod where the dungeon has the layout of the original castlevania. Mods are great;
http://www.wickedtoast.com/article.php?id=31

Heck they already have a ton of texture mods for Oblivion (they had them for Morrowind too), with the construction kit and being such an open-ended game makes it endlessly entertaining.

Anywhoo speaking to the original poster, Prozac had it from the start; it depends on the apps as to what's best, heck money no object sometimes the Matrox Parhelia or 3DLabs Realizm800 are the best choices.

The only thing I'd say is that ATi's superior branching the fallback coding will likely favour it in the future, but right now there's little difference, and even then the branching bonus may not be enough to make up for performance differences. It's like the R2VB issue, it does favour ATi if coded, but few people code for it, and therefore you end up with a performance drop compared to nV, like in some segments of FartCry.

Seriously look at FartCry as a perfect example, can anyone say either performs best, because there's a ton of back and forth, where it's more dependant on he section of that game as to which performs better.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 7:42:11 PM

Quote:
I've already got about 50+hours out of it

That's it? You noob. :p  Gotta be getting near 100 hours for me I'd think. :oops: 
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 7:47:37 PM

Quote:
I've already got about 50+hours out of it

That's it? You noob. :p  Gotta be getting near 100 hours for me I'd think. :oops: 

LOL! You call me a n00b and you reply to: angry_duck! :tongue:

Yeah believe me I want more, just finding getting busy, spent all Saturday celebrating Canad'Oh! Day. yesterday recovering, and helping a friend move into new house, this morning helping finish his move (his wife wanted to start @ 7am on our day off! WTF! 10am is early enough!).

I've also stopped playing on the train to/from work, and I play with the PSP (got one of my favourite games the other day, DarkStalkers so play it and Pinball).

Lemme see what my hour clock is at....
July 3, 2006 7:56:50 PM

I don't know for me, I'd say I've played it for around 50 hours also. But what I like the most about Oblivion is that I can stop playing to do another game (HL2: Episode1 right now) and get back to it whenever I want. It takes me about 15 minutes to get back what I was doing (reading my caracter journal... that's it) and I'm on again.

Only thing is: I'm going slowly, taking time to explore. Damn! I never even finished off Morrowind and I played easily more than 400 hours on it. Got enrolled in just about every concievable guild even if not going far into the hierarchy before being kicked out or just leaving. And like TheGreatGrapeApe, it's also still sitting on my laptop. I started a new game on it when Oblivion came out, just to be able to get a feeling of it when not at home. 8)

I'll be going in "full time" Oblivion tough when I'll purchase my new computer around september if everything goes as planned. My Radeon 9800Pro has some problem keeping up. It's even harder than for FEAR, altough low framerate are not as bad for RPG than for FPShooter. This game is so gorgeous that I want to play it with all the bell and whistle. I didn't care about it for FEAR, HL2:Episode1, etc... but you have some time to just look around playing Oblivion, which I don't playing these games :tongue: .
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 8:01:45 PM

Quote:
Gotta be getting near 100 hours for me I'd think. :oops: 

Getting 'NEAR', hah! Look who's a noob now! :twisted:

117 hours and I haven't played in about 3 weeks! :cry: 

Damn I need to play more! :mrgreen:

I tell you playing around with the PSP has sucked away alot of my free time.
I've already got 3 memory sticks for it, and I love that you can save googlevideo to PSP, awesome!

Anywhoo, just as an example 117hours of gameplay sofar on Oblivion, and I've played nowhere near as often as when Morrowind came out, and it's only just over 3 months in, so needless to say I think I've got my money's worth compared to games like D3.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 8:11:10 PM

Quote:
LOL! You call me a n00b and you reply to: angry_duck!

ROFL, I made that one easy on you. :oops: 

You may catch up to me as the last few days I've been fartin' around with Farcry + HDR instead. What a difference with the X1800XT compared to the 9800 pro and 6800U I used my first time through farcry. Last night was 16x12 max 16xAF and HDR or 12x10 max 2xaa 16xAF with HDR. I tried 16x12 hdr with 16x HQAF, but the large outdoor scenes with HQAF are too much for the stock X1800XT. Strange, but when I try 4xaa with HDR with patch 1.4, fsaa doesn't work and framerates stay as 0xaa. Anyway, I doubt I'll stay away from Oblivion for long but I'd sure like to play Farcry and HL2 through again with cranked settings this time.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 8:31:01 PM

Tell me that time while waiting is included in that playtime? No way have I spent that much time in this game. 8O Day 71 only, do you spend time waiting for shops to open or drop stuff during the night and come back later to sell? I've waited alot as you can see.

Hey, you are filling your HDD with savegames too I see. :lol: 
July 3, 2006 8:35:56 PM

thats very cool guys, that u play oblivion alot, BUT UR FORGETTING THE IDEA OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!! im mean sure i want to play oblivion but damn my old 5200fx just cant run it and yes ive tried indeed!!!!!!
now get back to buisness!
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:02:54 PM

Quote:

Tell me that time while waiting is included in that playtime? No way have I spent that much time in this game.

Yeah probably. So while we pleasure ourselves with the views it includes clean-up time. :twisted:
I think it's a game clock, so if you're outside of the game it's not running, because I've backed up and returned after 30 mins of play and saved after simple task, and the save time is only 5 mins later than previous. But if you're just standing there, go grab a pop and then come back as long as you're not into the console then it's probably running the clock.

Quote:
8O Day 71 only, do you spend time waiting for shops to open or drop stuff during the night and come back later to sell? I've waited alot as you can see.

Yeah I tend to drop a ton of crap right in the doorway of a shop then go of on a night quest. I hate waiting, I always feel like I'm missing out on someting. Think about it. I've spent just over two months game time on the main and some side quests, and you're almost a year into it. I almost feel like I'm A) going too slow, and B) time passes too quickly when I'm in exploring caves, etc. I now have Vapirism and I tell you night goes by too fast. I'm going to do the cure quest when I have a good solid coupla hours playtime in my sights.

Quote:
Hey, you are filling your HDD with savegames too I see. :lol: 

Actually no, it loooks like that but I delete alot (I think my save start at 3,4,5 and then jump to three in the 100s, then to 200s, then to 400s, I think I have maybe 40-50 in total. I reuse alot which gives it a new number but overwrites the old ones, my total saves sofar (which I backed up before patcing and then running no-DVD hack again, just in casE) is about 184MB, which is small compared to many people out there (check yours) and it's like 1/5 the size of my Morrowind save files.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:08:52 PM

Quote:
thats very cool guys, that u play oblivion alot, BUT UR FORGETTING THE IDEA OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

No, we answered that too. It's pretty much a toss up. No easy answer, and already spoken to quite well by both Prozac and NightlySputnik

Quote:
im mean sure i want to play oblivion but damn my old 5200fx just cant run it and yes ive tried indeed!!!!!!

Actually you can now, in the patch they added support through the Very LOW quality, which allows playon the FX series;
http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patchnote...
I know it works, helped a friend load it on my old FX5200GO DELL he now owns.

Quote:
now get back to buisness!

Relax, business is complete, and seriously what would you prefer, us hijacking the thread or bitching that this is the 100th time this same silly question has come up and flaming the original poster (You) again for the 93rd time?
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:18:04 PM

Well, your question of which is better ATI or NV can't be accurately answered. Only fanboys would dare answer that one one way or the other. It depends on the game and it depends on the card models you are looking at. For Oblivion, ATI is better. Get a X1900XT as it's close to XTX performance for alot less. I went with a 256MB X1800XT to save money. Cheaper than a 7900GT and does better in Oblivion. Plus, like you, I see this card getting replaced in a year anyway by a DX10 card.

I say 256MB X1800XT or 7600GT would be the way to go if you are going to be replacing it within a year with a DX10 card. If you want more power, get a X1900XT. 7900GT's can be found cheap and perform on par with the X1800XT for the most part. Oblivion would again favor the ATI.

So it's up to you if you want a $140 7600GT, $220 X1800XT, $240 7900GT or a $360 X1900XT. If it were me buying again, I'd go with the HIS Ice Q X1900XT (good price AR Newegg now. Newegg not working for me now, so sorry no link) which wasn't out when I bought my card. Here are two reasons to spend a little more now: :wink:

(System specs below)
Farcry 1600x1200 max 4xaa/16xaf:

Farcry 1600x1200 max 16xAF HDR 7
July 3, 2006 9:23:03 PM

Quote:
Also, $50 is too much for a game.

Depends man. I've already got about 50+hours out of it, and I'm a long LONG way from finished. I play(ed) Morrowing for 1,000+ hours with all the mods, etc.

So relative to the ~15hours of D3 before I gotted so bored I stopped, I prefer spending the money on Oblivion, than even half as much for D3.

Heck I liked/loved HL2 and there's no comparison the amount of value from Oblivion.

The only thing close to equal to Morrowing IMO was UT2K4, and it's still a distant second.

I meant that I'm waiting for the price to go down; I'm a high-school freshman with no money, and I'm saving for a video card.

EDIT: 1000 hours playing Morrowind? Damn; you've got a lot of time on your hands. Nothing better to do in the winter, huh? :lol:  I shouldn't say anything, though; I've probably played 3000 hours of Need For Speed over the years.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:27:24 PM

Quote:
Here are two reasons to spend a little more now: :wink:

Pfft! I think you guys are crazy! You're not spending the funds on the right things.

After 8 beers looks the same as my MRX700! 8XAle > 8XAA :twisted:
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:29:13 PM

now that I own a home in just about every city, I tend to drop my gatherings home, and keep playing through the night. before that I was often waiting 8 or more hours just to sell off stuff. I'm at the point now where half of what I gather is worth too much to sell. So I am hording it while waiting to build my mercentile up.

I overwrite sometimes, but I bet my savegame folder is HUGE. New OS install and a big HDD makes for sloppy/lazy space management. :roll:

Oh well, dinner time.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:32:16 PM

Ahhh, understand completely.

Yeah it's like gaming is no longer a cheap passtime, but considering the games have the same price tag as when I was playing on my original IBM PC, I'd say it's better than it used to be. 8)

$70 for King'sQuest? 8O
July 3, 2006 9:37:54 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, understand completely.

Yeah it's like gaming is no longer a cheap passtime, but considering the games have the same price tag as when I was playing on my original IBM PC, I'd say it's better than it used to be. 8)

$70 for King'sQuest? 8O

If you wait long enough, the games go down from $40 to $20. Oblivion is available on Amazon for $40 with free shipping, and in a couple months, it should be available for $30. Just enough time for me to fry this POS video card, call DFI about the USB problems with my mobo, and upgrade to 2GB RAM for Windows Vista.
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 9:47:16 PM

Quote:

If you wait long enough, the games go down from $40 to $20. Oblivion is available on Amazon for $40 with free shipping, and in a couple months, it should be available for $30.

Yep, and I'm usually like that, but I also like to reward those who've earned my money, and Bethesda has done so many times over IMO.

Rarely do I buy games first week, but some get that either because of past experiences D3, HL2, Halo2, Oblivion or because they are hyped enough from the community, which was more the case before as most new games have been sequels for me, last first run game I bought up front was the original COD.

FartCry is probably the only one I would've bought up front if it weren't for my feelings afte rplaying the demo (the game turned out to be a bit better than the demo and definitely better than D3, made the wrong choice between those two).
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2006 10:10:49 PM

I like the bargain bin. I think I paid $6 for UT2004. Gogamer has MOHPA DVD for $10. http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSI...

But like you, certian titles I'll buy day 1. For new games, You just have to look for sales. I forget exactly, but I think I paid $40 for Oblivion. Not day 1, but first week I think. I got HL2 Episode 1 from Circuit City for $8 the day they got it in; that was a bargain for sure. I'm thinking I'd jump on crysis for full price though.
July 3, 2006 10:55:20 PM

This is off topic, but can you run Oblivion in windowed mode like you can with Morrowind? Cause if I get Oblivion, I know that I can't play it at 1280x1024, but I don't want distorted image quality from turning down the res. to like 1024x768 or even 800x600.
July 3, 2006 11:57:13 PM

And that's why I keep my good CRT to play :wink:
I don't have enough video card to play everything on 1280x1024... So, my CRT fits perfectly my needs. :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2006 12:37:25 AM

Where better to go off topic than a "which is better ATI or NV thread". :wink:

I have never tried it, but Tweakguides says you can run in windowed mode.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_5.html
July 4, 2006 12:47:20 AM

Quote:
Where better to go off topic than a "which is better ATI or NV thread". :wink:

Oy vey. Please don't even suggest that; these forums have seen too many fanboy flame ward.

Quote:
I have never tried it, but Tweakguides says you can run in windowed mode.

I can't see why you'd need to turn down the resolution with an X1800XT. I play Morrowind in windowed mode because I like being able to alt-tab into another app and because the highest resolution I can set it to is 1280x960.

Quote:
And that's why I keep my good CRT to play Wink

CRTs hurt my eyes.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2006 12:57:20 AM

I'm running Oblivion at 10x7 with 2xaa + HDR and high (not max) details.
July 4, 2006 12:59:00 AM

Quote:
CRTs hurt my eyes.

Then you should play a little less, and rest a little more. :wink:
July 4, 2006 1:43:47 AM

Quote:
I'm running Oblivion at 10x7 with 2xaa + HDR and high (not max) details.

What kind of FPS do you get? Are you playing on a CRT or an LCD? BTW, thanks a lot for the link to tweakguides; I found some really useful guides on properly setting up Windows and other $hit in the BIOS.
!