Browser issues

Hi,

We have a domain (domain1) and wanted to join another domain (domain2) up as
a tree within the forest of domain1. The creation was successful, as well
as the configuration of dns and dhcp servers as well. The DNS zone for
domain 2 is AD integrated and the DNS server has a secondary zone setup to
grab stuff from domain1's DNS zone.

My question is one about the browser and access to domain resources. How do
we set something up so that certain users from domain1 can browse domain2?
Right now here's what we can do. When logged into domain1 from a
workstation in domain1, we can: browse domain1, ping host names and FQDN's
of computers in domain1 and open up shares on a computer in domain1 by
either entering in its host name or FQDN. I know that this is all normal
and as it should be. While logged into domain1 from a workstation in
domain1, to ping a host or open up a share on a computer in the other
domain, we have to enter in the FQDN. But the browser does not show that
there is even another domain or network connected. This changes slightly
when we log into domain2 from a workstation in domain1. The browser shows
that domain1 is there and we can browse it, but it also shows domain2 as
well. However, we cannot browse it. Opening up the computers from the run
command works as normal.

I guess what I'm wondering is how much of this is normal, since I'm not
exactly sure what access you're supposed to be granted to another domain
when you join it up as another tree in the forest. Is there a way to make
it so that if we're logged onto domain1 from a workstation in domain1, that
we can browse the computers in domain2? I know that there is supposed to be
a transitive trust relationship, but what practical things does that
translate into? I'd appreciate any help or enlightenment that could be
offered on this. Thanks!

Regards,
John

John Rosenlof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a domain (domain1) and wanted to join another domain (domain2) up as
> a tree within the forest of domain1. The creation was successful, as well
> as the configuration of dns and dhcp servers as well. The DNS zone for

(...)

> it so that if we're logged onto domain1 from a workstation in domain1, that
> we can browse the computers in domain2? I know that there is supposed to be
> a transitive trust relationship, but what practical things does that
> translate into? I'd appreciate any help or enlightenment that could be
> offered on this. Thanks!

Browsing is a process separated from the domain and the view of the
network in network places is generated by browser service. To be sure to
view all network resources in browser service you will have to
establish a WINS server in both domain and configure this servers as
replication partners. Let's say I only see it in this way - becouse in
the larger network I think that browsing the resources in this way is
not efficient and in the projects I'm working right now we don't
bother about maintaining browsking services for whole network.

I suggest for You to take a look at two documents:
"Computer Browsing for SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=bb89501a-3609-45de-8e35-38251e1349f6

"Troubleshooting Computer Browsing on SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b5a2baba-cc80-4bcf-b1e4-d629028554e4&displaylang=en

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Hello,

Thanks for the insight and suggestion. If we set that up, could we make it
so that only certain users could see and access those resources?

--John

John Rosenlof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the insight and suggestion. If we set that up, could we make it
> so that only certain users could see and access those resources?

No, there is no mechanism to controll a view which Your browser service
generates for a user - every user will see all resources, only on
resources level You can control users access with standard mechanisms
like user rights ad ACLs

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Thanks for the answers. I'm understanding things a little better... To be
able to browse the other domains, we have to set up a WINS server. A
question that I still have is why when I log onto domain2 from a workstation
in domain1 I can see the other domain but it tells me that I don't have
sufficient priveledges to view the resources and browse it. I still don't
get why that is.