CPU is running at over 100 degrees C??

zenryoku

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Hi all,

My friend and I put together my new system last night and were up until about 3 am trying to figure out why it's running so hot. It seems like either the heatsink is defective (which seems unlikely as it's a piece of aluminum and the fan does change speeds accordingly), or the heat sensor is out of whack. Is the heat sensor part of the CPU itself or is it on the motherboard? The other possibility is that the CPU really is running that hot and it's just defective. I tried to call Intel today, but they're closed for July 4th.

The only thing I haven't tried is a BIOS update. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
are you checking the temp is POST/ BIOS or are you using a software? If its a software maybe its giving you wrong readings.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hi all,

My friend and I put together my new system last night and were up until about 3 am trying to figure out why it's running so hot. It seems like either the heatsink is defective (which seems unlikely as it's a piece of aluminum and the fan does change speeds accordingly), or the heat sensor is out of whack. Is the heat sensor part of the CPU itself or is it on the motherboard? The other possibility is that the CPU really is running that hot and it's just defective. I tried to call Intel today, but they're closed for July 4th.

The only thing I haven't tried is a BIOS update. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Give us the Honour of Listing and Specifying every part of your computer and CPU and thermal compund you are using. It'll be easyer to help you if we know what'd been built and what exactly is the name and make of the thing that is giving you the problems with heat

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
are you checking the temp is POST/ BIOS or are you using a software? If its a software maybe its giving you wrong readings.
Could be wrong readings or Could just be a brand new "prescott' we gotta know what exacty it is so if they list something that is know to give problems and we can help. Otherwise advise on better thermal paste

zenryoku

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
To answer the first question, this reading is from the BIOS hardware monitor. We built the system last night and were just testing it to see if it POSTed, haven't installed an OS yet.

As for the specifics, it's an Intel Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz running on an Intel D945GTP motherboard. I have 2GB of OCZ dual-channel DDR667 and a Maxtor 300GB SATA2 hard drive. I'm running it off of the on-board video at the moment. The case is an Antec Sonata II with the stock 450W PSU.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think could be bad readings... your CPU would not run a 100°C for more than a few seconds.
For information, the temp sensor is a diode embedded in the CPU die, the circuit that convert its voltage drop to temp readings is in the chipset or (more often today) a separated small chip on the mobo.
Sure you are not reading temps in °F instead of °C?

zenryoku

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I'm positive that it's in C...what's strange also is that the system temps seem fairly normal. Internal is registering at 40-45 and remote is 33-36. I could try a BIOS update I suppose; if that doesn't work I guess it's warranty time.

Thanks

Andurs

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I have a few things to consider. When you put the computer together did you use the stock heatsink? If you did sometimes they put a thermal pad on the bottom of the HS. If it did have a pad did you take off the sticker protecting the pad? If it didn't have a pad did you use thermal grease and how much? If you used thermal grease, the amount you should use is no more than the center of the O on your keyboard. And the area of the O might be a little too much. Too much grease is just like having no grease at all. So clean it off with an isopropol alcohol (look it up or if someone could reply to tell what kind to use). Then dab a small amount of grease on the CPU, then take a toothpick and smear it around. After it is spread take a flat object (a credit card works well) and scrape it across the top to make it smooth. Reattach the HS and you should see a difference. Don't forget to clean the HS and the CPU. Hope this helps.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
As long as you put the HS on it and didn't take it off again...only put it on and left it...then I wouldn't worry about it and install the OS. I don't think it would run at 100c to tell you the truth. Load the OS.

If you fiddled around with the HS, then you're going to have to remove all that putty and replace it with some paste.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oh, and the thermal paste is the "square" that was on the heatsink when we took it out of the box...

Not sure, but did it have a thin transparent film on it?

Basically the film protects the compound before installation, so it does need to come of before you install it.

zenryoku

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
I used the stock heatsink with the thermal compound that was already on it and we did make sure to remove the sticker. After putting on the HS and ensuring that it was put on correctly, we didn't take it off again.

If it is actually running that hot, isn't it a bad idea to continue running it? I suppose I can see if Windows installs, then maybe use a software-based hardware monitor (but I was under the impression that they still use the BIOS to get their readings)

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I doubt it is running that hot. As long as the HS is seated properly, it should be OK. I think the CPU would shut down the system if were actually running at 100C, but as long as you mounted it correctly then I doubt it is getting that hot and the reading is false.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, to be on the safe side, I would double check it, or redo the HSF installation (cleaning it off with at least 70 percent Isopropyl Alcohol) with a tube of thermal compound or AS5.

If the HeatSink is cool to the touch, that can be an indication that there is no or bad contact between the top of the CPU to the bottom of the HSF.

zenryoku

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Okay, I'll try reapplying the HS. If that fails, then I guess I'll call up Intel tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Thanks for the replies all.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You have some thermal paste right, cause once you take that HS off you can't reuse that putty that was on the HS.

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
The easiest way to find out is to touch the base of the heatsink, if it's hot it's probably around 50 degrees, uncomfortable to touch for more than a second or so 60, sears the flesh on your fingers than it really is 100 degrees.

god dam list some system specs, where u got the temps

and btw yeah - your system still works? then it aint 100's

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!