Schema import/export or backup and restore

ok here is my situation and i need a little advise i think...

I have 2xDC's running 2000 svr in a single domain (fully patched) and EX5.5.
I want to upgrade by clean install to ex 2003 on new DC's running 2003 svr.

Though first id like to test this out...My idea was to build a test box with
2003svr (ok) run dcpromo (ok) synchronise the domain (ok) take the test box
off the network and install ex 2003 and import some mailboxes to test it
out..here starts my trouble..
EX 2003 wants to update the schema (which it dosnt have as its on the 2000 dc)
so I need to find a way to copy import/export backup/restore the schema on
to my test enviorenment. so i can complete my exchange test.

Of course this all has to be done without affecting my very live
environment....

Can anyone help..??

yours paul

You can let Exchange 2003 extend the schema within a Windows 2000 Domain
without any issues.

Have a look at "Where and how can I run the Exchange Server 2003 ForestPrep"
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41327&DisplayTab=Article

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Paul K" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> ok here is my situation and i need a little advise i think...
>
> I have 2xDC's running 2000 svr in a single domain (fully patched) and
> EX5.5.
> I want to upgrade by clean install to ex 2003 on new DC's running 2003
> svr.
>
> Though first id like to test this out...My idea was to build a test box
> with
> 2003svr (ok) run dcpromo (ok) synchronise the domain (ok) take the test
> box
> off the network and install ex 2003 and import some mailboxes to test it
> out..here starts my trouble..
> EX 2003 wants to update the schema (which it dosnt have as its on the 2000
> dc)
> so I need to find a way to copy import/export backup/restore the schema on
> to my test enviorenment. so i can complete my exchange test.
>
> Of course this all has to be done without affecting my very live
> environment....
>
> Can anyone help..??
>
> yours paul

i really dont want to edit my schema master if possible..

I dont really want to edit my scema master is there annother way..Id like to
install exchange on the 2003 dc while it it not connected to my network...

"Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:

> You can let Exchange 2003 extend the schema within a Windows 2000 Domain
> without any issues.
>
> Have a look at "Where and how can I run the Exchange Server 2003 ForestPrep"
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41327&DisplayTab=Article
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "Paul K" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > ok here is my situation and i need a little advise i think...
> >
> > I have 2xDC's running 2000 svr in a single domain (fully patched) and
> > EX5.5.
> > I want to upgrade by clean install to ex 2003 on new DC's running 2003
> > svr.
> >
> > Though first id like to test this out...My idea was to build a test box
> > with
> > 2003svr (ok) run dcpromo (ok) synchronise the domain (ok) take the test
> > box
> > off the network and install ex 2003 and import some mailboxes to test it
> > out..here starts my trouble..
> > EX 2003 wants to update the schema (which it dosnt have as its on the 2000
> > dc)
> > so I need to find a way to copy import/export backup/restore the schema on
> > to my test enviorenment. so i can complete my exchange test.
> >
> > Of course this all has to be done without affecting my very live
> > environment....
> >
> > Can anyone help..??
> >
> > yours paul

Oh I see, no that's not technical possible. You have to setup a dedicated
separated test environment. The Schema also have to been extended for the
particular product (Exchange2003) to work with active directory.

--

>i really dont want to edit my schema master if possible..
>
> I dont really want to edit my scema master is there annother way..Id like
> install exchange on the 2003 dc while it it not connected to my network...
>
> "Chriss3 [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can let Exchange 2003 extend the schema within a Windows 2000 Domain
>> without any issues.
>>
>> Have a look at "Where and how can I run the Exchange Server 2003
>> ForestPrep"
>> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=41327&DisplayTab=Article
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Christoffer Andersson
>> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
>>
>> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
>> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>>
>> "Paul K" <PaulK@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> > ok here is my situation and i need a little advise i think...
>> >
>> > I have 2xDC's running 2000 svr in a single domain (fully patched) and
>> > EX5.5.
>> > I want to upgrade by clean install to ex 2003 on new DC's running 2003
>> > svr.
>> >
>> > Though first id like to test this out...My idea was to build a test box
>> > with
>> > 2003svr (ok) run dcpromo (ok) synchronise the domain (ok) take the
>> > test
>> > box
>> > off the network and install ex 2003 and import some mailboxes to test
>> > it
>> > out..here starts my trouble..
>> > EX 2003 wants to update the schema (which it dosnt have as its on the
>> > 2000
>> > dc)
>> > so I need to find a way to copy import/export backup/restore the schema
>> > on
>> > to my test enviorenment. so i can complete my exchange test.
>> >
>> > Of course this all has to be done without affecting my very live
>> > environment....
>> >
>> > Can anyone help..??
>> >
>> > yours paul

TRENDING THREADS