Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 X2 +4800 Dual Core Issues

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 3, 2006 10:17:21 PM

Ok...here's the story in detail

I've noticed something very odd with my CPU lately...i just reinstalled my OS and everythign has ran fine...I installed my Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat Final stuff and went in too play...but as soon as i hit the Update button to query the server list the game froze but everything was still working (teamspeak) but i couldnt get to my desktop and was basically stuck at the main screen for BF...anyways i rebooted and my mobo beeps 5 times (3 beeps means its working properly...its an Asus A8V K8T800 Pro) and my usb mouse doesnt work...so i unplug the usb mouse cord and plug it back in and then it works...i get to my desktop and reinstall my graphics card driver and then reboot once again...this time the mobo beeps 3 times and my mouse is working properly...so then i try BF again and it does the same thing, and the process above is repeated and once again im back to desktop and this time i uninstall BF and reinstall...problem still occurs and i repeat the whole process once again but this time when i get to my desktop before i can even reinstall gfx drivers my cpu is already at 100% (I have the Logitech G15 and the LCD reports my CPU and RAM percentage) so i have to reboot in safe mode and reinstall the gfx driver and then all is fine again...and that leaves me here at this point wondering if i have an overheating issue? any ideas guys?
July 4, 2006 12:14:50 AM

Hard to say.

Have you figured out what 5 beeps mean?

My guess is toward Video Card and perhaps memory.

When the system Beeps, the bios will use beeps if it knows it can't display error message.

I'd prolly reseat the memory, and video card. Other cause could be PSU, depending on how much your total wattage requirements as well as amps on a rail are.
July 4, 2006 12:23:08 AM

Quote:
Hard to say.

Have you figured out what 5 beeps mean?

My guess is toward Video Card and perhaps memory.

When the system Beeps, the bios will use beeps if it knows it can't display error message.

I'd prolly reseat the memory, and video card. Other cause could be PSU, depending on how much your total wattage requirements as well as amps on a rail are.


3 beeps means the mobo is running correctly...5 means the mobo is bad

as for the gfx driver i installed the driver from the disk and then installed an updated one from nvidia website over top without deleting the old one...could be part of problem?

i resetted the memory and video card all ready and it still occured, but it only occurs for that one game...weird!

my PSU is a 500 watt
Related resources
July 4, 2006 12:42:19 AM

Quote:
3 beeps means the mobo is running correctly...5 means the mobo is bad


Are you sure about that? Did you look up the beeps?

Just have a hard time understanding what you mean by "5 means the mobo is bad". The beeps you hear are for specific components. When you hear the 5 beeps, do you see the display? If you do, it should show a visable error in text right in front of you.

Now depending on what bios you have, some of these are commonly known for most. For example:

An AMI Bios:

3 Short Base 64k RAM failure.
5 Short Process failure.

An Award Bios:

1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the Bios cannot initialise the video screen to display any additional information.

Any other beep(s) RAM Problem.

Edit I did find this link:

Asus A8v Deluxe Overclocking Guide

It had a link for AMI beep codes. That might help with some TS your A8V. I tried the Asus Forum, and I can't look crap up from the site anymore. :lol: 

Edit:

Doh I did see this on that one forum:

Quote:
3 beeps : Base 64K memory failure
5 beeps : Processor error
-For 4 beeps, 5 beeps, 7 beeps, or 10 beeps the system board must be sent in for repair.


That is on a AMI bios (A8V), from that link.
July 4, 2006 1:16:58 AM

thanks for lookin...i think ima try to run driver cleaner in safe mode and then reinstall gfx driver and see what happens...
July 4, 2006 1:22:02 AM

Np.. Just wanted to help. I know what I found may not be what you wanted to find out.

GL on that!!
July 4, 2006 1:42:54 AM

well...after reinstalling the new gfx driver ..the mobo beeps 3 times...im just afraid to try and run BF now tho :) 

if it is indeed the mobo...then ima just get a new one with pci-x/sli anyways...
July 4, 2006 5:00:27 PM

Since you do say it beeps 3 times the advice that other forum said:

Quote:
-For persistant 1 beep, 2 beeps, or 3 beeps try reseating the memory first. If the error still occurs, replace the memory with known good chips.


Perhaps if you some how get some other RAM to test, you might be able to rid of the 3 beeps your getting. Or if you use 2 sticks try one to see if you get 3 beeps, then the other.

I run an Asus board, and I don't get 3 beeps, so I wouldn't consider that 3 beeps means everythings okay. I usually don't hear any beeps during startup on my system. I don't even recall a blip type of sound that I hear on my other systems when they startup.

But anyways good luck on that board, or perhaps maybe you should consider an AM2 MB for that 4800+.
July 4, 2006 5:27:31 PM

Quote:
Ok...here's the story in detail

I've noticed something very odd with my CPU lately...i just reinstalled my OS and everythign has ran fine...I installed my Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat Final stuff and went in too play...but as soon as i hit the Update button to query the server list the game froze but everything was still working (teamspeak) but i couldnt get to my desktop and was basically stuck at the main screen for BF...anyways i rebooted and my mobo beeps 5 times (3 beeps means its working properly...its an Asus A8V K8T800 Pro) and my usb mouse doesnt work...so i unplug the usb mouse cord and plug it back in and then it works...i get to my desktop and reinstall my graphics card driver and then reboot once again...this time the mobo beeps 3 times and my mouse is working properly...so then i try BF again and it does the same thing, and the process above is repeated and once again im back to desktop and this time i uninstall BF and reinstall...problem still occurs and i repeat the whole process once again but this time when i get to my desktop before i can even reinstall gfx drivers my cpu is already at 100% (I have the Logitech G15 and the LCD reports my CPU and RAM percentage) so i have to reboot in safe mode and reinstall the gfx driver and then all is fine again...and that leaves me here at this point wondering if i have an overheating issue? any ideas guys?



If you didn't install SP2 BEFORE you connected to the Internet that maybe the problem. It's not the CPU. I reinstalled XP without the SP and my machine got infected like crazy.

Also, is this the first time installing BF2? What you're describing could be a network glitch. SInce you have dual core you should be able to get to Task Mgr. See what is using a lot of CPU.
July 4, 2006 5:38:20 PM

The three beeps are USB devices being initialized. If you have anything plugged into your USB ports, you will get one beep per USB device connected. It took me a little bit to figure that out, but after booting with my webcam unplugged and then plugged in... it was pretty apparent what the beeps were telling me.

Those beeps will coincide with the POST message "Initializing USB ports...".

You will then get one beep once POST has been completed. The A8V is the only board I've come across so far that does this.
July 4, 2006 6:03:46 PM

Quote:
The three beeps are USB devices being initialized. If you have anything plugged into your USB ports, you will get one beep per USB device connected. It took me a little bit to figure that out, but after booting with my webcam unplugged and then plugged in... it was pretty apparent what the beeps were telling me.

Those beeps will coincide with the POST message "Initializing USB ports...".

You will then get one beep once POST has been completed. The A8V is the only board I've come across so far that does this.


that must be it...i have 3 usb's being used and that makes sense!

as for SP2 it came installed already on my Win XP disk

any ideas on a good memory tester?
July 4, 2006 6:20:36 PM

:?

Okay... I'm unfamliar with USB devices making beeps.

Can some of you name the 3 devices each beeping once?

And what about the other 2 beeps that make 5 when his system crashes from running BF on a restart?

Edit:
I should state... I have a Video Cam that is USB that doesn't beep on startup. Though I'm not on a A8V board.. hehe
July 4, 2006 6:29:50 PM

Had too look for a memory tester:

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

That should help you figure out if you have RAM problems. You will need to burn it to a CD correctly for it to boot off the CD/DVD.

Link to the site:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Perhaps Zoron is correct on the beeps, if they were not system beeps (when the display doesn't come up). I did ask if the display was coming up or not, but since he didn't say, pretty much confused me.
July 4, 2006 6:45:19 PM

Not sure if you have tried this, but you could try the AMD dual core patch. It is available here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/...

If nothing else, that should help performance.

Also, try flashing your bios to the latest version. Once again, sorry if you tried this, I only skimmed through the posts.
!