djhenry

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i just bought a bt-300 usb-ide connector, found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156102

but i cant seem to get any of my drives to be accesable, i tried an old WD400 it managed to come up as a usb mass storage device, but it wouldnt show on my computer. i've had the same problem with a maxtor 6L300R0. is there a certain jumper setting im supposed to have when using this kind of adapter? i've tried slave, master, cs, and no jumper at all.

pat

Expert
i just bought a bt-300 usb-ide connector, found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156102

but i cant seem to get any of my drives to be accesable, i tried an old WD400 it managed to come up as a usb mass storage device, but it wouldnt show on my computer. i've had the same problem with a maxtor 6L300R0. is there a certain jumper setting im supposed to have when using this kind of adapter? i've tried slave, master, cs, and no jumper at all.

All drive has to be set as MASTER, and the WD, usually, is set as MASTER by fully removing the jumper. Read the drive label.

Then, make sure that you center it right with the notch. sometime, you can put it too far at the left or right.

djhenry

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i took the jumper out and made sure that the ide pins were aligned perfectly with the adapter, and when i pluged in the wd400 it came up under mass storage device like before, but i still cant access it in my computer :(

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I've had problems like this happen with certain computers and adapter combinations. For example, my room mate's computer will not read my 1GB flash drive, where as no other computer I've used it with has had a problem.

The way I am able to get around it many times is to go into Computer Management in XP, then go to the Drive Management. You should see the drive in there, usually without a drive letter assigned to it.

Assign a drive letter, and see if it shows up in Explorer. If it does not, right-click the volume (not the drive) in the Drive Management and choose "Explore." It will still not show up in Explorer, but another window will open with the drive's contents.

It's kind of a pain-in-the-butt work around, but it has worked for me. Hopefully this helps you, too.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I've had to do the same thing with some drives before. From what I understand, it is mainly attributed to windows assigning the same drive letter twice, and the one that got it first keeps it. Hopefully that works. If not, you may have a defective product. It happens all too often with these off brand, non-standard items.