AMD price drop and why there might be "fanboys"

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
just a simple thought i had,
Amd has been better for gaming than intel for a couple of years,
inevitabley there is a lot of people out there that have a socket 939 pc out there,
like anyone they are probably angry that a better cpu is coming out in a month or so.
but and im only stating my position and what i think may be a lot of others positions
i have socket 939,not that great a cpu but hell im gunna upgrade to dual core when the price drops,and why becuase i dont have to buy a new pc all i have to do is get a new processor, a lot cheaper in my eyes than getting a new pc.just thinking that there may be a few people the same boat as i am.
to be honest i think conroe is amazing i wish i had it,but i am not prepared to get a new pc just for it

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Don't expect everyone to have an identical position to you. My two PCs at home have 3500+ and 4600+ X2 in them (one work, one for fun).

Unlike you, I will be getting a new PC to replace one of them - the 939 3500+.

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
he he thats quite funny,i dunno i think with my wallet,i can play games now fine,i can get a dual core next month for cheap and i expect i can last for a while,i guess everyone in toms hardware is a complete enthusiast and will be getting conroe

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
That's a rather broad view, and not neccesarily a true one. Look at me for instance - I see Conroe, I want Conroe, but I can't have Conroe because...Conroe costs money. The computer I'm typing on is from 2002, and somehow, I'll live with it.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Umm, I don't even know what all this is about, I mean, it's barely noticeable anyway them differences.
I've got me an 2,4ghz Opteron dual core, and I'm in awe and wonder, like
"what the heck am I supposed to do to flood this cpu anyway?!"

I know I won't need more cpu horsepower in a while, and when I do I'm sure AMD or Intel has a generation or two further that is real leet with 16 cores or whatnot.

I bought AMD this time around because well, they were superior and >much> cooler running than a weak 3ghz intel I had around...

But sure, if Intel still owns when I decide to upgrade, I'd get that instead.
What's the point of keeping on one team or another anyway?

Them Ati got some neat cards, love to use it, but they run hotter than a frying pan and their CCC is absolute sh1t,
so I do Nvidia that has a nice little control panel that doesn't make my computer load in five minutes slower than normal...
(Also I don't need .NET)

Function before aestethics ;p

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
yeah same as me,i cant afford a new pc,so i will upgrade as i can untill i cannot play games anymore,thats what i do and as soon as i cant then i will get a new pc.i just hope that there arent people out there that are buying a new pc just to have the best when less will do

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
you got it, that what i'm going to do. i'll retire & sell my 3200+ & get a dual core. maybe a 3800+ or more then keep it a couple of years, then get a new system.

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
indeed function before asthetics,just thinking how many people are there that have a 939 motherboard with single core,i mean they have been around for a long time,im probably biast becuase all i think about is ut2007 and games after that multithreaded,all i can say is im glad at least some possibly agrees with me.although i have lost track of what i was trying to say lol

RichPLS

Champion
But sure, if Intel still owns when I decide to upgrade, I'd get that instead.
What's the point of keeping on one team or another anyway?

Them Ati got some neat cards, love to use it, but they run hotter than a frying pan and their CCC is absolute sh1t,
so I do Nvidia that has a nice little control panel that doesn't make my computer load in five minutes slower than normal...
(Also I don't need .NET)

Function before aestethics ;p

Agree... upgrade when needed to whatever is best...

ATI drivers are not crap tho, imo... and my HiS X1800XT runs at 62C running overclocked at 690/1600MHz with the stock cooler...
also performs 5,040 3DMarks06 and 11,000 3DMarks05
Not bad considering I have had this card since the end of November 2005 and actually got it for $469 inc shipping... NewEgg Roxorz! :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
he he thats quite funny,i dunno i think with my wallet,i can play games now fine,i can get a dual core next month for cheap and i expect i can last for a while,i guess everyone in toms hardware is a complete enthusiast and will be getting conroe

Neither Am2 nor COre 2 will get my money right now. I just dropped $2500 - last November - and no way am I replacing it before November.

My box flies through Q4, D3, VS2005, Virtual server. I may get an FX60 if the price is right and switch my studio PC before then but I doubt it. I'm waiting for K8L.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I've upgraded from an Athlon XP 2000+ to the machine on my sig in March... So there's no way I can upgrade again in a few months... Maybe I'll buy an A64 X2 somewhere near December, but nothing more.
Things are expensive in South America! :evil:

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've a couple of 3500s that I may bump when the price cuts arrive. I've a hankering for that FX-60 myself. It would replace my Opteron 175, which would replace my X2 3800, which could then replace one of the 3500s. Round & round she goes! But I'll stay with 939 until it fails to offer me what I want it for. Somehow I think that could be several years.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah~~if you need a new PC in the coming month or two, and if the Conroe system price is right for you....it's definitely the way to go!!

A dual core system still isnt cheap as there are still single core chips out at low low prices......some people might just need a new PC for browsing the internet and do some word processing. For them, buying Conroe just dont make sense!!!!

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
I would have to say this is the best thread I've seen in years on here.

I personal will be upgrading to a Conroe, but not until around Jan of next year. Normaly drop around 2k on my new system every two years. I live in Canada and the only thing that hasn't seen the benift of the Canadian dollar getting close to the US dollar are PC parts. Good example is the 7900GTX 512MB from Asus, found it for USD $472.99 while at my local computer shop it's selling for CND $649.99 with the current exchange rate of today that equals out to be 584.601 USD. Guess I'll be ordering my parts from the US again next year.

I'm actully glad that Intel is bring this Processor out. Bring down the prices of most CPU's(Intel's and AMD's) accross the board and allow more people to get them. No if ATI and Nvidia would get off there high horses and lower the prices a bit as well.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I am going to stick with my computer for at least another 2 years. I just built this thing 4 months ago, and I don't have the money to upgrade to the latest and greatest every 2 months.

As is, it took me 1 year to save up the money for my current rig. Needless to say, I was happy I did. I used to be using an old HP, with a 1.3ghz Celeron, 256mb sd-ram, and a Geforce 2 64mb video card.

When I got the HP, I didn't even know what ram was. I've learned much in the past 3 years thanks to sites like this.

So this is how I stand:

1)Won't upgrade to Conroe, simple.
2)Next upgrade is to add another 1024mb of my DDR500 ram.
3)After that, I will get a X-Fi Xtreme Music

I know my video card may seem poorly suited to the rest of my system, but I refuse to upgrade that component until DirectX 10 cards come out. No sense buying a card that will only last me 1 year at most.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
i have an amd dual core and i think they work pretty well. Dual core potential will not be tapped into until windows vista comes out unfortunately so be prepared to take a minor performance hit when it comes to single threaded games. Also look to overclocking a bit, it will diminish the performance hit.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
My box flies through Q4, D3, VS2005, Virtual server. I may get an FX60 if the price is right and switch my studio PC before then but I doubt it. I'm waiting for K8L.
What computer do you use, to automate your space observatory? Or what are the specs of your computer at the weather station you also work at?Do you notice if Blue Gene is noticably faster than your x24400+, or does your x2 annihilate Blue Gene?Enlighten us, oh great one. :?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
just a simple thought i had,
Amd has been better for gaming than intel for a couple of years,
inevitabley there is a lot of people out there that have a socket 939 pc out there,
like anyone they are probably angry that a better cpu is coming out in a month or so.
but and im only stating my position and what i think may be a lot of others positions
i have socket 939,not that great a cpu but hell im gunna upgrade to dual core when the price drops,and why becuase i dont have to buy a new pc all i have to do is get a new processor, a lot cheaper in my eyes than getting a new pc.just thinking that there may be a few people the same boat as i am.
to be honest i think conroe is amazing i wish i had it,but i am not prepared to get a new pc just for it

That's right, probably few people are going to upgrade right now. It takes a new mitherboard and new DDR2 to go for Conroe or AM2 from a 939 or 478. Particulary the 939, because it's newer, still offers a lot of headroom to upgrade for many people, just replacing the CPU.
Few people are enthusiasts like us and fewer got the money to upgrade: I dream of an A64X2 or even a 3800+ with my 3000+.

madmouse67

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
My thoughts 6 months ago when uprading from Chaintech/AMD K6 was to get a decent mobo, ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe and a cheap CPU, 3200+. Like alot of people dont see the need for cutting edge at high prices when you can OC. Bought mobo knowing (hoping) in six months time I will be able to buy better at a knock down price and like M25 said:

still offers a lot of headroom to upgrade for many people, just replacing the CPU.

Weeble

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
Moving to a new platform has a number of dependencies in my opinion, life of the current system, budget and whether you want to be an 'early adopter' or not.

A lot of people into performance will want to make the move to Conroe now, whether there system has 'life' in it or not.

I can understand that. I also can understand getting a faster 939 chip. The one thing I don't really understand is people making the move when buying a new PC to AMD2 right now.

Fair enough it if its a significant upgrade and its needed this week because something blew up, but if you have something that works I'd want to wait and see whether to move or not given 'real world' experiences with Conroe vs AMD2 with the 590 mobos, which no one has really got their teeth into yet.

I am waiting to see what real world experience says about both before moving new to either, if, in the meantime there are some cheap 939's about then I shall get one of those and get a bargain uplift for my current rig (taking into account as a gamer I might actually get a better return from just getting a faster GPU). Not sure that makes me a fan boy, I tend to think it just makes me like more things to play with. Once I am ready for the new chip (which looks like Conroe as Intel have it seems really got their acts together, but lets see what reality turns into) then there will be a good choice of mobo's, good reviews and all that geeky stuff you need to choose a CPU platform.

Fagaru

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
u r totally right, in the price : performance, if u have a s939 and wanna upgrade why the huck will u get a whole new pc? might as well just upgrade and SAVE a butt load of money

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I dont care if I go to Conroe Or amd. As long as which is faster. Who I dont like is Fanboys. Also the type that Wait Untel the chips are 2x as fast as the old ones then upgrade. For it saves money and it get all the bugs out of the newest things.