Login using @

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I noticed that some people login to AD using their login name (first
name.lastname or similar) and other login with
username@domain.com...different networks - (I am not saying same domain) - I
am PC Tech / Contractor.

(1) Can someone please tell me what the @ symbol is in this login type AND
is there something I have to do differently in setting up my AD test domain
at home to enable this @ feature?

(2) Why would I use this type of login versus just the normal name?

"-->AP" <andrewpol@mail.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that some people login to AD using their login name (first
>name.lastname or similar) and other login with
>username@domain.com...different networks - (I am not saying same domain) -
>I am PC Tech / Contractor.
>

> (1) Can someone please tell me what the @ symbol is in this login type
> AND is there something I have to do differently in setting up my AD test
> domain at home to enable this @ feature?
>
> (2) Why would I use this type of login versus just the normal name?

See the Server 2000 or 2003 Help of UPN suffix.

One reason for their use is to allow a user to logon using their e-mail
address
or another is to hide the domain structure from them so they logon with a
more friendly name, then having to be able to select the correct Domain to
logon to from the dropdown box of Domains on the login dialog.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"-->AP" <andrewpol@mail.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that some people login to AD using their login name (first
>name.lastname or similar) and other login with
>username@domain.com...different networks - (I am not saying same domain) -
>I am PC Tech / Contractor.
>

> (1) Can someone please tell me what the @ symbol is in this login type
> AND is there something I have to do differently in setting up my AD test
> domain at home to enable this @ feature?
>
> (2) Why would I use this type of login versus just the normal name?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

AP,

This is the UPN, as Mike suggested. There are several reasons why this
would be set up....

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014