Motherboard - Upside Down???

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Can someone help clarify this issue for me. I have seen quite a few cases (most of them I am looking at from Lian-Li) that have the motherboard upside down. From what I read it helps for cooling, but I also seen notes where alot of motherboards won't allow that option.

Any feedback would be great?

To help clarify in particular I am looking at the DFI NF4 SLI Infinity, still undecided on the power supply and other components.

Oh and I am looking at Lian-Li cases without the ports on the bottom (hence the reversal)

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
As long as you're looking at reversed ATX you most likely won't have any issues at all, unless you run a lot of old IDE cables in there.

These cases are made for Sata drives with thin cables and allowing for slightly longer cables, everyting ELSE ought to fit just fine. If not better.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As long as you're looking at reversed ATX you most likely won't have any issues at all, unless you run a lot of old IDE cables in there.

These cases are made for Sata drives with thin cables and allowing for slightly longer cables, everyting ELSE ought to fit just fine. If not better.

Reversed ATX? Sounds more like a newer format developed by Intel known as BTX. Presumably it is better for cooling. It isn't catching on as Intel had hoped. ATX was definitely far better than AT. BTX, not so much if at all better than ATX.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

Reversed ATX? Sounds more like a newer format developed by Intel known as BTX. Presumably it is better for cooling. It isn't catching on as Intel had hoped. ATX was definitely far better than AT. BTX, not so much if at all better than ATX.

No, this isn't BTX, I would've said so if it was =)

Let me show you a review:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=llv1000&page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

That IS an ATX box, just the fittings are upside down...

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

No, this isn't BTX, I would've said so if it was =)

Let me show you a review:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=llv1000&page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

That IS an ATX box, just the fittings are upside down...

Ah yes. Pardon me as I misunderstood. I have seen some of these. Cooling at or near the bottom versus the top where the heat actually collects confuses me a bit. Thanks for steering me straight.

Hard to find better cases than Lian Li. I'm real pleased with those I currently use.

Eneerge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
For the most part, this is not much of a problem if your northbridge is fan cooled. However, if the northbridge uses heatpipe technology it may not cool well. When the pipes are turned up side down, it's kinda hard for it to work against gravity unless it has a wick, which doesnt work too well anyways.

I'm kinda upset myself that my motherboard (ASUS p5w dh deluxe) uses heatpipes, but at least the board comes with a fan addon so maybe it shouldn't be much of a problem for me.

Read up on heatpipe technology over at wikipedia.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I've an MSI K8N Diamond Plus with a fan on the heatpipe that goes to the the NB but not so much the one on the SB. Mine's a conventional PC-65B so cooling isn't a problem with this particular machine.

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
So pretty much to sum it all up...

Mobo with heatpipe = Right side up
Mobo with fan = Upside down

That makes sense :) plus I have heard nothing but good things about Lian-Li...more expensive but you get what you pay for.