Sign in with
Your question

Next Gen Merom not compatible

Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2006 12:48:02 AM

It looks like people who buy Merom this year will have to buy a new socket next year as the next Rev won't be pin-compatible.

Merom pins

More about : gen merom compatible

July 4, 2006 12:52:18 AM

Quote:
It looks like people who buy Merom this year will have to buy a new socket next year as the next Rev won't be pin-compatible.

Merom pins

Upgrade a motherboard for a notebook? Why?
Related resources
July 4, 2006 1:08:37 AM

Quote:

Merom pins

Upgrade a motherboard for a notebook? Why?

Who said mobo, I said socket. SInce you can't change mobos, it means a new system.

I'm sorry my first Intel story was a socket change but I thought Merom, CPU forum, oh well, post it.
July 4, 2006 1:11:41 AM

Thats such old news its been written about in the bible.
July 4, 2006 1:15:24 AM

Quote:
Who said mobo, I said socket. SInce you can't change mobos, it means a new system.

Exactly.

What you're suggesting is the same as all 939 owners having to go out and buy AM2 because the sockets are different, even though in both cases, the machines will still work fine the next day.

Stop looking for stuff that isn't there. It'd be nice if some of you people with such vast knowledge actually helped some of the people who come here asking questions rather than trawl the web endlessly looking for rubbish. It lets the whole site down.
July 4, 2006 1:40:32 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

What you're suggesting is the same as all 939 owners having to go out and buy AM2 because the sockets are different, even though in both cases, the machines will still work fine the next day.

Stop looking for stuff that isn't there. It'd be nice if some of you people with such vast knowledge actually helped some of the people who come here asking questions rather than trawl the web endlessly looking for rubbish. It lets the whole site down.

Not quite because the next gen (K8L) AMD stuff will be AM2/1207 compatible.
July 4, 2006 1:42:47 AM

Making an idiot of him self is MoronBatrix therapy. Since the pills doesn't seems to have any effect, the psychiatres can only recomend this method to prevent his sickness. I think that they have made a mistake, MoronBatrix is getting only more sick.
July 4, 2006 2:14:29 AM

Why would anyone be angry that he posts a news item? I sure wish Intel had a better track record for CPU upgrades. I'm pissed that I can't use my 945 motherboard with Conroe and that's with the same socket! AMD offers more flexibility in that regard.
July 4, 2006 2:53:59 AM

Quote:
Did you actually read the article:

The 'Merom' Core 2 Duo mobile microprocessor Intel will ship with 'Santa Rosa', next year's Centrino upgrade, will not be quite the same Merom that it's due to launch in August.

The santa rosa platform will be different, hence Merom will change it's socket to fit with the platform upgrade. The august release will be compatible.

The August launch will drop into the Napa platform, it has been stated by Intel and verified by garage overclockers.

Quote:
The Merom processor will work within the Intel® Centrino Duo® mobile technology-based platform and Merom is targeted for introduction to align with the 2006 holiday buying season.

http://www.intel.com/technology/architecture/coremicro/

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95...

Even in a MacMini
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91...

And, as stated, how many laptop cases, MBs, LCD screens come modular such that one would want to part it out and build from scratch. This is the concept of a platform...

Wow, I read that in the article. There were big words like Santa Rosa and Napa. Wow. Thx for the correction. That Centrino word really got me.
July 4, 2006 5:26:27 AM

Who fuc*king cares? You don't see very many folks upgrading notebook processors, now do ya? In 90% of cases you can't anyways! So the fact that the two aren't pin compatible is moot because upgrading CPU's in a notebook is usually impossible (not to mention stupid).

The only way this could possibly matter is for those who want to build a HTPC w/ a mobile processor. OR the very, very small market of mobile processor blades.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference.
July 4, 2006 5:48:16 AM

Quote:
Who fuc*king cares? You don't see very many folks upgrading notebook processors, now do ya? In 90% of cases you can't anyways! So the fact that the two aren't pin compatible is moot because upgrading CPU's in a notebook is usually impossible (not to mention stupid).

The only way this could possibly matter is for those who want to build a HTPC w/ a mobile processor. OR the very, very small market of mobile processor blades.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference.

You made bail AGAIN?!?!
8O
July 4, 2006 5:49:50 AM

Quote:
yes the next gen k8L is pin compatable because there are no major changes to the chip or platform. it makes me wonder if there is any performance improvement at all with K8L

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I mean after all, the Dual core wasn't dropin replacement with a BIOS flash.
July 4, 2006 5:53:33 AM

You made another stupid post AGAIN!?
July 4, 2006 5:54:04 AM

Quote:
Why would anyone be angry that he posts a news item? I sure wish Intel had a better track record for CPU upgrades. I'm pissed that I can't use my 945 motherboard with Conroe and that's with the same socket! AMD offers more flexibility in that regard.

no kidding. I hope their future chipsets and sockets are more upgrade friendly.. although I doubt they will be. intel probably makes a lot of money of chipsets.

in regards to the merom thing, even if they do change sockets, literally no one upgrades a laptop processor anyways. when you buy a laptop, it's pretty much as-is, except for maybe a ram upgrade a year or 2 down the road. this is a pointless argument imo.
July 4, 2006 6:01:20 AM

Quote:

Merom pins

uh.. ok?

i don't quite get the intention behind starting this new thread.

unless you're buying Merom for MoDT (mobile on desktop), which i doubt the majority of ppl will even consider that, there is almost no impact for laptop users.
July 4, 2006 6:10:27 AM

Quote:
yes the next gen k8L is pin compatable because there are no major changes to the chip or platform. it makes me wonder if there is any performance improvement at all with K8L

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I mean after all, the Dual core wasn't dropin replacement with a BIOS flash.

oh wait...Turion X2 AM2 is not drop in compatible with Turion..

BIG DEAL!!
July 4, 2006 6:46:12 AM

Quote:

Ummmm... yes it was. The majority of S939 motherboards using an nVidia NForce4 chipset were compatible w/ dual core months before dual core was even out. In most cases, all you needed to do was a BIOS flash.

Or is that what you were trying to say? I can't read ur fuc*ked up English.
July 4, 2006 7:53:11 AM

Quote:
i think BM is into S&M because he makes posts and then gets owned and he doesnt stop doing that. he does this all the time and gets owned by everyone. the last time i saw him get pwned he said something dumb and put a link for his data and the last page of his data pwned him because it argued exactly opposite of what he said. so in short he gets owned by people in this forum and gets owned by external web sites on accident. i think he likes that

wait.. i thought 9nm is the one getting owned all the time? he posted around 560 posts, and he got owned in every single one of them.

i guess some ppl just refuse to change for good.
July 4, 2006 8:36:11 AM

It's inane divel such as this that makes me wanna rethink that whole "Communist state run media is bad" thing. Perhaps we should administer some intellegence test to the general public upon highschool graduation/dropout.

You take the test, if you pass. . . you become a normal functional member of society. if you fail, you are sterilized and set loose in africa with those tribal aids infested idiots in the jungle.

Problem solved.
July 4, 2006 8:49:26 AM

I was referring to the OP. Your reply button was just closer =P
July 4, 2006 10:40:00 AM

Quote:

Why do you wonder AM?
Do you remember BM making a smart post?
July 4, 2006 10:51:46 AM

Quote:
While I may tend to agree, BM is not stupid --- he has an agenda, but not stupid.

It is unfortunate.

Depends on with who you are comparing him. If you compare him with 9nm, than he is not stupid. I think about him that he is sick mediocrity. I used to discuss with him at the begining, but he ignores every fact and he gets offensive to everyone who is not falling on knees on his unreasonable biased thoughts(not knowldege). Than I tried to ignore him, but everytime he appears the discussions become an arguing with insults. He has no shame and no respect, he lies and he insults. These are the things I hate the most. I have no respect for him and I am not going to tolerate him in any way. Sometimes I hate my self when I insult him. He is not guilty about his disease, at all. But I also find fun, how he gets owned. He will never change his character, so who cares about looser like him.

rgrds

P.S. I am still waiting for your advice :wink:
July 4, 2006 1:32:56 PM

Quote:
i think BM is into S&M because he makes posts and then gets owned and he doesnt stop doing that. he does this all the time and gets owned by everyone. the last time i saw him get pwned he said something dumb and put a link for his data and the last page of his data pwned him because it argued exactly opposite of what he said. so in short he gets owned by people in this forum and gets owned by external web sites on accident. i think he likes that

Get a life fagboy.
July 4, 2006 1:35:21 PM

Quote:
While I may tend to agree, BM is not stupid --- he has an agenda, but not stupid.

It is unfortunate.

Depends on with who you are comparing him. If you compare him with 9nm, than he is not stupid. I think about him that he is sick mediocrity. I used to discuss with him at the begining, but he ignores every fact and he gets offensive to everyone who is not falling on knees on his unreasonable biased thoughts(not knowldege). Than I tried to ignore him, but everytime he appears the discussions become an arguing with insults. He has no shame and no respect, he lies and he insults. These are the things I hate the most. I have no respect for him and I am not going to tolerate him in any way. Sometimes I hate my self when I insult him. He is not guilty about his disease, at all. But I also find fun, how he gets owned. He will never change his character, so who cares about looser like him.

rgrds

You don't present facts you present your warped intepretation of why Core 2 is the be all and end all --- and you can't even buy one - maybe not for months.

I think your problem is that you guy lik eto annoy people into leaving. Me personally, I like slapping you around. Especially since I get to talk about PCs.
July 4, 2006 1:36:38 PM

Quote:

Why do you wonder AM?
Do you remember BM making a smart post?

Just give up before you hurt yourself.
July 4, 2006 2:08:37 PM

Quote:
You don't present facts you present your warped intepretation of why Core 2 is the be all and end all --- and you can't even buy one - maybe not for months.

WOW, I am not sure what you've said becouse of my bad english but I am sure it is BS, like the rest 1000 posts that made your reputation as idiotic clown on TG.

Quote:
I think your problem is

My problem is that I have no problems, I am torturing ignorant morons like you just for fun.
Quote:
that you guy lik eto annoy people into leaving.

In your case, that is the truth. I would like you to dissapear form TG forumz forever, so the average members IQ will raise to 200%.
Quote:
Me personally, I like slapping you around.
You like and you wish, but every time you try to slap anyone you are the only one brutaly owned and slaped with no mercy for your stupidity.
Quote:
Especially since I get to talk about PCs.
I don't rember when was the last time you made a monologue about PCs.

Quote:
Just give up before you hurt yourself.
Too bad, you can't hurt me, but I can hurt you and I am enjoying it. Now lets continue with the pointless arguing.
July 4, 2006 2:11:14 PM

Merom IS drop-in compatible to Yonah, stop spreading FUD.
July 4, 2006 5:47:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should read the article or even the title. It says NEXT GEN......
July 4, 2006 5:55:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should read the article or even the title. It says NEXT GEN...... Just press the ignore button like i do.
a c 448 à CPUs
July 4, 2006 6:25:48 PM

Quote:

That's actually not shocking news. AMD has come out with the AM2 Athlon 64 as a stepping stone to the K8L. While AM2 adds features like DDR2 and virtualization, which is good, but the real purpose is to get socket AM2 motherboards into the consumers hands so that AMD will have a future install base. Also, it will allow AMD and chipset/motherboard makers to tweak their products so that by the time K8L is released all or most of the stability issues would have been taken care of.

That's basically why AMD has stated that there will not be any material increase in performance between an AM2 X2 and S939 X2 CPU of the same model like the X2 3800+.
July 4, 2006 7:25:47 PM

Quote:

So, are you saying that if it's not pin-compatible it does have "architectural changes"?
What a sad post.
July 4, 2006 7:27:11 PM

Quote:
It's inane divel such as this that makes me wanna rethink that whole "Communist state run media is bad" thing. Perhaps we should administer some intellegence test to the general public upon highschool graduation/dropout.

You take the test, if you pass. . . you become a normal functional member of society. if you fail, you are sterilized and set loose in africa with those tribal aids infested idiots in the jungle.

Problem solved.

Really sad to see this tone of racism going on at THG's forums. Mods should do something about this.
July 4, 2006 7:36:25 PM

Quote:

It is unfortunate.

rgrds

I think your problem is that you guy lik eto annoy people into leaving. Me personally, I like slapping you around. Especially since I get to talk about PCs.
this is really funny..
AMD fanboys accuse us of talking future product like "Conroe", which is due in 2 weeks, while they talk about how "K8L" is going to own all and end all.

not to be offensive, but where is a working "K8L"?

they talk about how "65nm" K8 is going to keep up with Conroe.

not to be offensive, but where is a working "65nm" K8?
July 4, 2006 7:50:10 PM

Quote:

That's actually not shocking news. AMD has come out with the AM2 Athlon 64 as a stepping stone to the K8L. While AM2 adds features like DDR2 and virtualization, which is good, but the real purpose is to get socket AM2 motherboards into the consumers hands so that AMD will have a future install base. Also, it will allow AMD and chipset/motherboard makers to tweak their products so that by the time K8L is released all or most of the stability issues would have been taken care of.

That's basically why AMD has stated that there will not be any material increase in performance between an AM2 X2 and S939 X2 CPU of the same model like the X2 3800+.

That was actually good marketing on their par so that as DDR2 becomes the norm and it reaches DDR latency at the same high speeds, AM2 even will respond - of course this will occur with newer revs like Rev E. Rev G will likely be the next F stepping after 65nm ramps (F4 since F2 is the current one) That way they don't have to change a lot in the factory.

I see Chartered taking current - the deal was for June - 90nm and some initial Brisbane while Fab 36 does K8L and FXL. That is an advantage of keeping less stock - you run out faster.
July 4, 2006 8:02:59 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:
It will be funny when K8L cums, and performance is on par with current Conroes, while AMDroids chant about future savior 4x4, and Kentfield deploys first quad core, making imbeciles out of droids... as they realize their futility...
July 4, 2006 8:04:52 PM

Quote:
It will be funny when K8L cums, and performance is on par with current Conroes, while AMDroids chant about future savior 4x4, and Kentfield deploys first quad core, making imbeciles out of droids... as they realize their futility...

You honestly believe that will happen?
EDIT: I meant the realization of futility; after all, Conroe is approaching, and the fanboys are chanting "AMD pwns Intel's a$$!" more than ever.
July 4, 2006 8:13:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should read the article or even the title. It says NEXT GEN...... Just press the ignore button like i do.

There's an ignore button?!!!!! How come I never knew about that?! Well now I have a new toy to play with.
July 4, 2006 8:29:35 PM

Quote:

There's an ignore button?!!!!! How come I never knew about that?! Well now I have a new toy to play with. Yep it's right below the post of the person who wrote it. see <look below>

<lower>

<lower>

<almost there>

<your finished yay>
July 4, 2006 8:49:25 PM

[/i]Three cheers for Action Man! If you are going to read this thread all you need to read are the three posts by Action Man.

The rest of the posts (including this one) are not worth the money it takes to store the 30KB on the forumz server lol.

These forums need more intelligent posters like action man.
July 4, 2006 11:45:23 PM

Quote:

I don't care one way or the other. I knew the specs on Core 2 would take AMD by about 10-25%. The same way the specs on K8L - vaporware or not - SEEM to have the hp to get 40% improvement on K8.

That should give them a 15-30% boost over Core 2.
July 5, 2006 1:17:12 AM

Quote:

Sorry to disturb you but... are you sure whatever K8L comes out will be AM2 940-pin & Socket F 1207-pin compatible?! Will there be two K8L versions to cope with a AM2/Socket F 267 pin difference?!

Just wondering...

Cheers!
July 5, 2006 2:46:29 AM

Quote:

I don't care one way or the other. I knew the specs on Core 2 would take AMD by about 10-25%. The same way the specs on K8L - vaporware or not - SEEM to have the hp to get 40% improvement on K8.

This coming from the person that said that AM2 would provide a 30% performance boost. Oh, and the same one that said K8L is coming out soon - maybe even Q3!

Given your track record for "predictions", I think similar conclusions can be drawn about your 40% performance gain claims on K8L.
July 5, 2006 2:51:12 AM

Classic BM there.
July 5, 2006 3:15:46 AM

Hey I was away for a couple days. Did BM ever post a pic of the ID badge that he was boasting about in that other BM massive pwnage thread?
July 5, 2006 3:38:39 AM

I have no idea whether this helps his case or flushes him down even further, and I don't care; I just felt like throwing this out here:

Quote:
In the next Santa Rosa platform, which is a replacement of “Napa Refresh”, Crestline northbridge is introduced together with ICH8M. At that time, Merom will fully support 800MHz FSB but Socket M has been made supported. The replacement to Socket M would be Socket P, also in 478 pin but not compatible with Socket M processor. Without technical improvement, such change is just a marketing decision to make Yonah to fall out of use in Santa Rosa platform. Manufacturers are complained about the change that would make money loss by increased pressure on storage. They are now urging Intel to cancel the decision, making Socket M be available in Santa Rosa platform.

Maybe it clarifies something, or maybe it makes me look like a total idiot. I'm guessing the latter.
July 5, 2006 3:58:51 AM

No, sadly. I'm waiting patiently though. Maybe we'll get it in Q3 when K8L hits the market.
July 5, 2006 4:23:34 AM

Quote:
Really sad to see this tone of racism going on at THG's forums. Mods should do something about this.

So, does this mean that you're ok with the homophobia?

Quote:
Get a life fagboy.
a c 448 à CPUs
July 5, 2006 6:29:50 AM

Quote:

I knew the specs on Core 2 would take AMD by about 10-25%. The same way the specs on K8L - vaporware or not - SEEM to have the hp to get 40% improvement on K8.

That should give them a 15-30% boost over Core 2.

Utter speculation.

The same could be said about the Conroe's successor (don't know the codename) when it comes out in 2008, if Intel sticks to it's intended release of a new architecture every two years. Conroe's successor could be 15% - 30% faster than K8L.

AMD's K10 may be 15% - 30% faster than Conroe's successor. Big deal, it's a continuous game of leap frog. Just get the best performing CPU for your money regardless of the manufacturer.
!