Forcing the desktop background for mandatory profile

Hello,
I want to force the desktop background for my terminal server users and I
was hoping someone could reply with some of the best ways to do that. I know
about Active Desktop and I would prefer another way of doing it. Could
someone please help educate me on this issue?

I might start by locking down the Terminal Server via GPO. However, I would
strongly suggest that you play with this first in a test environment. Here
are two links:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=278295
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315675

Not necessarily an answer to your question but something for you to
investigate. It is very very very helpful!

I would then look at the Terminal Server profile.....

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"mwithrow" <mwithrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I want to force the desktop background for my terminal server users and I
> was hoping someone could reply with some of the best ways to do that. I
> know
> about Active Desktop and I would prefer another way of doing it. Could
> someone please help educate me on this issue?

"mwithrow" <mwithrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I want to force the desktop background for my terminal server users and
> was hoping someone could reply with some of the best ways to do that. I
know
> about Active Desktop and I would prefer another way of doing it. Could
> someone please help educate me on this issue?

Group Policy is your friend. Create a GPO which applies to the OU your
terminal
server is in. Set the desktop to whatever background you've chosen, then
set
Loopback Processing Mode to "Merge" or "Replace". (this means the policy
will
apply to all users, but only while they're logged on to Terminal Server..

Also, if not already done, use policies to lock down the control panel and
right-click
menus in the desktop and in IE (remove "Set as Background" option)

Cheers,
Brett

Actually in Terminal services or Citrix, it is generally a good idea to
disable the desktop background. This way you don't use bandwidth or other
resources drawing it.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA