Download of SP2 wipes out Microsoft internet explorer

I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
not displayed."
9 answers Last reply
More about download wipes microsoft internet explorer

    Can you use the Start-Run button and then type
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    If that works, make a shortcut with the same in the command window.

    --
    Bill DeShawn
    bdeshawn@nospamsterling.net

    "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    > disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    > to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    > not displayed."

    Since yours is one of what appear to be scores, or even hundreds, of posts
    along this same subject line I have to know the answer to a question that
    has been nagging me for a couple of weeks. Why would you download and
    install SP2 when there has been so much news about the problems it can, and
    obviously, does cause? The newsgroups are now flooded with posts from
    frantic users, just like yourself, who are shocked at the resulting chaos
    SP2 seems to wreak on multitudes of systems.

    The Microsoft Windows Update website has pages of information about what to
    do to prepare your system for SP2. It even addresses the question of the
    relevance of SP2 to the individual user.

    I have seen SP2 installations go so smoothly you don't even know it has been
    done. Then I have also seen, and been present during, the total trashing of
    a perfectly good machine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I have
    never been offered SP2 by Windows Update, which is on automatic to notify me
    of updates available. It is configured to ask for permission to download
    and install the updates as they become available.

    I don't have your answer except to check this and the updates newsgroup for
    help. These newsgroups are going to be your best bet to getting your system
    back up and healthy again. This should serve as a critical lesson to you.
    A lesson hard learned but one which will further your knowledge and
    understanding of software, systems, and the people who make and own them.

    Good luck!

    "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    > disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    > to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    > not displayed."

    Kevin;

    99.9% of the posts here are from the people who have problems. Very few
    post when they are not having problems. 99% of the problems that people are
    experiencing is because they do not maintain their computer properly and do
    not follow the installation instructions. I have installed SP2 on 28
    different computers of various vintages and configurations. 5 of the are my
    home computers. 23 are computers at work that I am responsible for
    maintaining. I had one very minor problem with a NIC that was solved by
    updating the driver for that card. Other than that, no problems. I keep my
    system clean (no viruses), do regular file and disc maintenance, and I do
    not use any P2P software or load AOL on any of said computers.

    If you had a bad experience with SP2, then it was more than likely that
    it was in large part due to your (Lack of) system maintenance skills. A
    close friend of mine works at a regional computer repair facility, and he
    also states that 99% of the issues he has seen with SP2 is because of user
    maintenance issues.

    Bobby

    "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Since yours is one of what appear to be scores, or even hundreds, of posts
    > along this same subject line I have to know the answer to a question that
    > has been nagging me for a couple of weeks. Why would you download and
    > install SP2 when there has been so much news about the problems it can,
    > and
    > obviously, does cause? The newsgroups are now flooded with posts from
    > frantic users, just like yourself, who are shocked at the resulting chaos
    > SP2 seems to wreak on multitudes of systems.
    >
    > The Microsoft Windows Update website has pages of information about what
    > do to prepare your system for SP2. It even addresses the question of the
    > relevance of SP2 to the individual user.
    >
    > I have seen SP2 installations go so smoothly you don't even know it has
    > been
    > done. Then I have also seen, and been present during, the total trashing
    > of
    > a perfectly good machine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I have
    > never been offered SP2 by Windows Update, which is on automatic to notify
    > me
    > of updates available. It is configured to ask for permission to download
    > and install the updates as they become available.
    >
    > I don't have your answer except to check this and the updates newsgroup
    > for
    > help. These newsgroups are going to be your best bet to getting your
    > system
    > back up and healthy again. This should serve as a critical lesson to you.
    > A lesson hard learned but one which will further your knowledge and
    > understanding of software, systems, and the people who make and own them.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    >> disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    >> to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    >> not displayed."

    Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your
    computer:
    1.. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

    --
    Good Day
    River_Rat

    "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    not displayed."

    You might start with the Internet Explorer Help Center at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;ie

    Good luck.

    "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    > disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    > to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    > not displayed."

    Do you mean that you can open IE but it won't access the
    Internet? You need to set the firewall permissions.
    Control Panel/security center

    "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:40b201c4a698$3bffdbc0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    |I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    | disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    | to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page
    | not displayed."

    NNBD!

    Yeah, I get that. The point of my reply to the OP is that I am amazed at
    the number of people who will still download and install something like SP2
    when there is so much information available that points out the possible
    problems (and the solutions to those problems, as well) in doing so.

    As my reply states, I have not been offered the download of SP2 by Windows
    Updates. I don't intend to install it until it has been in release for at
    least 3 to 6 months, if then. By then, there should be a whole herd of
    patches and fixes for some of the problems SP2 seems to be causing,
    especially with regard to Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

    Like you, I use a good anti-virus application, a solid firewall, and I use
    several of the most popular anti-spyware and anti-adware applications. I
    keep my disk clean and tidy and I never use Peer-to-Peer software or
    anything from AOL.

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    download
    > > and install the updates as they become available.
    > >
    > > I don't have your answer except to check this and the updates newsgroup
    > > for
    > > help. These newsgroups are going to be your best bet to getting your
    > > system
    > > back up and healthy again. This should serve as a critical lesson to
    you.
    > > A lesson hard learned but one which will further your knowledge and
    > > understanding of software, systems, and the people who make and own
    them.

    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > "Sweeney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I downloaded Service Pack 2 and my Internet Explorer
    > >> disappeared. Anyone know why? How do I recover it? Itried
    > >> to reach MS support,Contact by email just goes to "page

    Your post pre-supposes that most such problems can be fixed on the XP side
    of things when in fact, the problem is usually the necessity to update
    drivers or applications on the user's system.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

> [...]
    >> > a perfectly good machine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I
    >> > have
    >> > never been offered SP2 by Windows Update, which is on automatic to
    > notify
    >> > me
    >> > of updates available. It is configured to ask for permission to
    > download
    >> > and install the updates as they become available.
    >> >
    >> > I don't have your answer except to check this and the updates newsgroup
    >> > for
    >> > help. These newsgroups are going to be your best bet to getting your
    >> > system
    >> > back up and healthy again. This should serve as a critical lesson to
    > you.
    >> > A lesson hard learned but one which will further your knowledge and
    >> > understanding of software, systems, and the people who make and own

    I havent had any single problem with winxp sp2 itself.

    Only problem i have had is ZoneAlarm Security Suite not
    working with it so i had to download a new installation files.

    Recommended installation of WinXP SP2 is to do a clean installation
    first and then do a backup of the system. Backup is needed if you by
    misstake do something wrong.

    goodluck.

    "Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]
    >> > a perfectly good machine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I
    >> > have
    >> > never been offered SP2 by Windows Update, which is on automatic to
    > notify
    >> > me
    >> > of updates available. It is configured to ask for permission to
    > download
    >> > and install the updates as they become available.
    >> >
    >> > I don't have your answer except to check this and the updates newsgroup
    >> > for
    >> > help. These newsgroups are going to be your best bet to getting your
    >> > system
    >> > back up and healthy again. This should serve as a critical lesson to
    > you.
    >> > A lesson hard learned but one which will further your knowledge and
    >> > understanding of software, systems, and the people who make and own

Download Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP