Help Please! - Cannot get rid of redundant DC from AD

We have a dc which was setup over six months ago replicated once or twice and
hasn't replicated since - , dcdiag showed a multitude of errors it is also
not structured to our standard

As it is not replicating and still thinks it holds a couple of fsmo roles we
cannot demote so we went for a clean install.

I ran the metadata cleanup on a functioning dc and this worked ok.
I also removed the server object from the site with no problem, however the
server object for this domain controller still appears in the domain
controllers container in ad users and computers, and will not allow deletion.

I am assuming it is for this reason that when we try to join the newly built
dc to the domain using the same name it says account already exists.

Any ideas how to make sure and remove the computer account and all reference
to this dc so we can start again with the same name, ip etc.?

thanks

Have you followed ALL the steps in the link below (Including the ADSIEdit)?
Have you gone back and purged any dns records? If it had dns loaded have
you gone and removed this info off all the other dns servers (Name Servers
tab)?

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

"panther3" <panther3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a dc which was setup over six months ago replicated once or twice
and
> hasn't replicated since - , dcdiag showed a multitude of errors it is also
> not structured to our standard
>
> As it is not replicating and still thinks it holds a couple of fsmo roles
we
> cannot demote so we went for a clean install.
>
> I ran the metadata cleanup on a functioning dc and this worked ok.
> I also removed the server object from the site with no problem, however
the
> server object for this domain controller still appears in the domain
> controllers container in ad users and computers, and will not allow
deletion.

> I am assuming it is for this reason that when we try to join the newly
built
> dc to the domain using the same name it says account already exists.
>
> Any ideas how to make sure and remove the computer account and all
reference
> to this dc so we can start again with the same name, ip etc.?
>
> thanks

Panther,

Paul is steering down the correct path. Follow the Metadata Cleanup MSKB to
a tee and make sure that you look at adsiedit and at your DNS. Also, make
sure that there is no object in Active Directory Sites and Services MMC (
which you would see in adsiedit anyway! ).

I might also suggest that you install the Support Tools from the Service
Pack CD-Media and run dcdiag /c /v and netdiag /v as well as take a look at
repadmin /showreps /v and repadmin /showconn on your existing Domain
Controllers. See if there are any errors or if the removed DC is still
showing up......

Also, remember that there are three NCs that need to replicate: the Schema
NC, the Configuration NC and the Domain NC. Also, remember that AD
Replication is based on incoming connection objects. Thus, for AD
Replication to happen between two DCs there would be a connection object
from DC01 to DC02 and a connection object from DC02 to DC01.....

HTH,

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014