id 3210

pip

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Hi, i have to migrate 300 users from nt4 domain to w2k domain without to
disjoin from domain and join again. In the labtest the migration of the
server work correctly but for the client i receive an error message and
i can not log on the domain. In the event log i have an id 3210 message.
I search in the ms KB and i test many possibility (netdom, nltest,
registry...). I go to eventid.net and the solution seem the same. The
domain name is the same.
In my labtest when the client stay connected during the migration, it
seem to have no problem to connect after but if the client is off, id
3210 when he attempt to logon the domain. If anybody can help me with
this, i appreciate. Thanks

PJP,

How are you trying to do this? Are you upgrading the WINNT 4.0 PDC to
WIN2000 ( seems unlikely in this case ) or are you trying to use ADMT v2?

I might consider the upgrade approach. However, there are some things to
take into account when using this approach.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"pip" <pierre.plamondon@nospam.dec.gouv.qc.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, i have to migrate 300 users from nt4 domain to w2k domain without to
> disjoin from domain and join again. In the labtest the migration of the
> server work correctly but for the client i receive an error message and i
> can not log on the domain. In the event log i have an id 3210 message. I
> search in the ms KB and i test many possibility (netdom, nltest,
> registry...). I go to eventid.net and the solution seem the same. The
> domain name is the same.
> In my labtest when the client stay connected during the migration, it seem
> to have no problem to connect after but if the client is off, id 3210 when
> he attempt to logon the domain. If anybody can help me with this, i
> appreciate. Thanks

pip

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Hi, i upgrade nt4 to w2k. I do not test ADMT at this time. My last
attempt is with netdom remove and netdom join (seem the same thing than
to pass to each system). Thanks
Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:

> PJP,
>
> How are you trying to do this? Are you upgrading the WINNT 4.0 PDC to
> WIN2000 ( seems unlikely in this case ) or are you trying to use ADMT v2?
>
> I might consider the upgrade approach. However, there are some things to
> take into account when using this approach.

If you are upgrading the WINNT 4.0 PDC then you should not need to do
anything else ( well, in the context of joining computer accounts to the
domain ). There should be no need to use netdom to remove computer accounts
from the 'old' domain and then to join them to the 'new' domain as there is
no 'old' or 'new' domain....it is the same one. Only it is now Windows 2000
Active Directory instead of WINNT 4.0.

--

> Hi, i upgrade nt4 to w2k. I do not test ADMT at this time. My last attempt
> is with netdom remove and netdom join (seem the same thing than to pass to
> each system). Thanks
> Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
>
>> PJP,
>>
>> How are you trying to do this? Are you upgrading the WINNT 4.0 PDC to
>> WIN2000 ( seems unlikely in this case ) or are you trying to use ADMT v2?
>>
>> I might consider the upgrade approach. However, there are some things to
>> take into account when using this approach.

pip

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Thanks Cary, i hope you are right but in my labtest, i need to use
netdom to correct the security channel between the client and the domain
controler if the client is off during the migration process.

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:

> If you are upgrading the WINNT 4.0 PDC then you should not need to do
> anything else ( well, in the context of joining computer accounts to the
> domain ). There should be no need to use netdom to remove computer accounts
> from the 'old' domain and then to join them to the 'new' domain as there is
> no 'old' or 'new' domain....it is the same one. Only it is now Windows 2000
> Active Directory instead of WINNT 4.0.

If you are doing the upgrade then you might want to know about the following
issues that WIN2000 Clients will have. Please take a look at the following
MSKB Articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284937
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298713