LDP queries

lee

I am doing research for upgrading to WIN2K3 from WIN2K. Part of the process
involves checking that changes made by forestprep and domainprep are actually
replicated throughout the domain.

My problem is trying to figure the "easiest" way to query AD to check the
values that MS recommends. I've tried checking some values through LDP, but
trying to sort through the trash to find out a schema version number is
almost impossible. I can find
cn=version-number,cn=schema,cn=configuration,dn=mydomain, but I don't see
where the actual value of the version is (for Windows 2000, I believe the
schema version is 13 or 14, for WIN2K3 it is incremented to 30).

Does anyone have any simple way to check the value of the attribute?

Thanks!

You actually want the objectVersion attribute of the schema head object.

I.E.

adfind -schema -s base objectversion

If you want to specific a specific host add the -h hostname option.

You can get adfind at www.joeware.net

Ex:

[Wed 01/12/2005 19:22:43.96]
F:\temp\delete>adfind -schema -s base objectversion -h 2k3dc01

AdFind V01.25.01cpp Joe Richards (joe@joeware.net) December 2004

Using server: 2k3dc01.joe.com
Directory: Windows Server 2003
Base DN: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joe,DC=com

dn:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joe,DC=com
>objectVersion: 30

1 Objects returned

The command completed successfully.

[Wed 01/12/2005 19:22:45.81]
F:\temp\delete>adfind -schema -s base objectversion -h 2k3dc02

AdFind V01.25.01cpp Joe Richards (joe@joeware.net) December 2004

Using server: 2k3dc02.joe.com
Directory: Windows Server 2003
Base DN: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joe,DC=com

dn:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joe,DC=com
>objectVersion: 30

1 Objects returned

The command completed successfully.

[Wed 01/12/2005 19:22:48.20]
F:\temp\delete>adfind -schema -s base objectversion -h w2kasdc1

AdFind V01.25.01cpp Joe Richards (joe@joeware.net) December 2004

Using server: w2kasdc1.joehome.com
Directory: Windows 2000
Base DN: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joehome,DC=com

dn:CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=joehome,DC=com
>objectVersion: 13

1 Objects returned

www.joeware.net

Lee wrote:
> I am doing research for upgrading to WIN2K3 from WIN2K. Part of the process
> involves checking that changes made by forestprep and domainprep are actually
> replicated throughout the domain.
>
> My problem is trying to figure the "easiest" way to query AD to check the
> values that MS recommends. I've tried checking some values through LDP, but
> trying to sort through the trash to find out a schema version number is
> almost impossible. I can find
> cn=version-number,cn=schema,cn=configuration,dn=mydomain, but I don't see
> where the actual value of the version is (for Windows 2000, I believe the
> schema version is 13 or 14, for WIN2K3 it is incremented to 30).
>
> Does anyone have any simple way to check the value of the attribute?
>
> Thanks!

lee

Joe, you are a GENIUS! That is exactly what I needed. Thanks for your help in
making system admin a little easier!

Lee

n/p

www.joeware.net