AD + Network Groups NT4 Migration to 2003 AD enabled Server.

Hi all. Our existing internal network consists of a NT4 PDC and 2 BDC
PC's. 98% of all internal client pc's are a mix of xp/win2k.

The 2k/xp machines are configured to be part of a workgroup and not
of our internal domain. Each local user has full local Administrator
access to their pc. Their user name and pass match their account on
the PDC so that they can access printers, file server that are actual
member servers of the domain.

Browsing the Network you would see something like this.

ENG
SALES
ORDERS
ADMIN
SPECTRE <<< Actual Domain Name

Couple of questions.

1 If the users are part of a 2003 server AD local domain is it
possible that when they browse the network via my network
places they will see the workgroups in the tree. Or will the
tree by default just show all computer names connected to the
network under whatever the new domain name will be.

unlike above

SPECTRE
joe
helan
sam
trish

I noticed in AD there is a provision for adding users to groups.
If users are part of a group called ENG, will that ENG object show
up when users browse the internal network.

I would like users to be part of the domain so they could access the
AD list of users but am trying to keep their browsing experience the
same as it is now with our NT4 DC. Basically preserve the network
groups with each users pc under that group when browsing occurs via my
network places.

2 Our current domain name is called spectre when I configure
the 3K DC will I need to name it as spectre.local for the
domain name, or is this a good idea. Our actual domain name
is a internal name only not a internet domain name.Our dhcp
server simply passes external dns server ip's to clients so
they can surf the web.

3 Currently we use wins for name resolution on the internal
network. Wins seems to generate allot of traffic. We are
not using any sort of caching dns server. Would implementing
a 3K Dns caching server be a better solution for internal
name resolution than wins.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josh.
2 answers Last reply
More about network groups migration 2003 enabled server

    See inline comments.

    "Josh Davis" <none@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all. Our existing internal network consists of a NT4 PDC and 2 BDC
    > PC's. 98% of all internal client pc's are a mix of xp/win2k.
    >
    > The 2k/xp machines are configured to be part of a workgroup and not
    > of our internal domain. Each local user has full local Administrator
    > access to their pc. Their user name and pass match their account on
    > the PDC so that they can access printers, file server that are actual
    > member servers of the domain.
    >
    > Browsing the Network you would see something like this.
    >
    > ENG
    > SALES
    > ORDERS
    > ADMIN
    > SPECTRE <<< Actual Domain Name
    >

    > Couple of questions.
    >
    > 1 If the users are part of a 2003 server AD local domain is it
    > possible that when they browse the network via my network
    > places they will see the workgroups in the tree. Or will the
    > tree by default just show all computer names connected to the
    > network under whatever the new domain name will be.

    They should still be able to see whatever network places they do now.
    Machines will be grouped by either workgroups or domains, but they should
    all still be seen.

    > unlike above
    >
    > SPECTRE
    > joe
    > helan
    > sam
    > trish
    >

    > I noticed in AD there is a provision for adding users to groups.
    > If users are part of a group called ENG, will that ENG object show
    > up when users browse the internal network.

    You will not see the ENG in my network places. That would be in Active
    Directory Users and Computers (ADUC).

    > I would like users to be part of the domain so they could access the
    > AD list of users but am trying to keep their browsing experience the
    > same as it is now with our NT4 DC. Basically preserve the network
    > groups with each users pc under that group when browsing occurs via my
    > network places.

    > 2 Our current domain name is called spectre when I configure
    > the 3K DC will I need to name it as spectre.local for the
    > domain name, or is this a good idea. Our actual domain name
    > is a internal name only not a internet domain name.Our dhcp
    > server simply passes external dns server ip's to clients so
    > they can surf the web.

    I don't follow your question??? You already have a domain so there
    shouldn;t be a need for another domain name. Are you lookinh to add another
    server to your domain or are you looking to create a new forest?

    Each server is named differently within a domain. You shouldn't name your
    dc the same as your domain.

    > 3 Currently we use wins for name resolution on the internal
    > network. Wins seems to generate allot of traffic. We are
    > not using any sort of caching dns server. Would implementing
    > a 3K Dns caching server be a better solution for internal
    > name resolution than wins.

    DNS and wins are two seperate animals. A 2k3 dns caching server would be of
    no value in this circumstance. DNS is name resolution for tcpip names, wins
    is name resolution for netbios names. All your browsing refers to netbios.
    Hence no value.

    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > Josh.

    Paul our current domain is NT4 Based. The users
    that log onto that domain are used to working
    in a workgroup model.

    When you browse the domain via my network places
    you can see all the workgroup objects with each
    computer listed under a given workgroup.

    Can windows server AD be configured to preserve our existing
    workgroup or does ad have noting to do with how
    the actual computers appear on the network.
    while using the ms browsing service

    Thanks... Josh.

Servers Windows