Andre

If i created a child domain under my parent ex. firstdomain.com is the parent
and the child is seconddomain.com which will be seconddomain.firstdomain.com.
My end users for firstdomain.com when they login they login to firstdomain
will my users for the child domain login to seconddomain or firstdomain or
seconddomain.firtstdomain.com. Basically what im trying to ask is when
joining a new desktop to the child domain am I giving the full domain name
(seconddomain.firstdomain.com) or (seconddomain.com)

"andre" <andre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If i created a child domain under my parent ex. firstdomain.com is the
parent
> and the child is seconddomain.com which will be
seconddomain.firstdomain.com.

> My end users for firstdomain.com when they login they login to firstdomain
> will my users for the child domain login to seconddomain or firstdomain or
> seconddomain.firtstdomain.com.

The uses of SecondDomain.FirstDomain.com MUST log INTO
that same domain.

They have their account in that domain and if the account
were elsewhere they would NOT be users of that domain.

They may be able to TYPE the shorter NetBIOS version of
the Domain name, e.g., SecondDomain, but they are still logging
INTO their own domain.

> Basically what im trying to ask is when
> joining a new desktop to the child domain am I giving the full domain name
> (seconddomain.firstdomain.com) or (seconddomain.com)

The former (seconddomain.firstdomain.com).

Seconddomain..com is NOT a child of FirstDomain.Com,
and would instead be a differnt domain tree.

It could be part of the same forest (i.e., different tree) but
it would not be a CHILD domain.

Also note you should not have BOTH of these in the same
forest -- since the FIRST DNS name label clashes -- by
default, and most users can guess this, the NetBIOS version
of the Domain name is that first label, and you cannot have
two domains of the same name (DNS NOR NetBIOS) in the
same forest.

--
Herb Martin