Sign in with
Your question

AGP slot compatibility..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2006 10:05:25 AM

I was thinking of ordering an ATI X800 XL card. However, I want to be sure abt the slot compatibility for the card. My motherboard (Gigabyte K8VM800M) has a single AGP slot. Now wat it says abt that slot in the specs is :
1 x AGP slot (8x/4x-AGP 3.0 compliant), supports 1.5v display card only.

I find this confusing...how does it support AGP 8x if it says 1.5V only? And wat abt AGP 3.0 compliance? Doesn't it mean anything? When I actually get the card and put it in the slot, will it work at 8x or 4x :(  ? I don't think there's any danger to the card or the mobo if I do install it but plz correct me if I am wrong

System requirements for the card say this:
Intel Pentium 4/III, AMD Athlon 64/7K/Athlon XP with AGP 8X (0.8v), 4X (1.5V) or universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X/4X)

More about : agp slot compatibility

July 4, 2006 11:24:24 AM

Don't worry about it. If you buy an AGP card today it will work in that board. The only problem you would have is if you found an old 1x or 2x card in the gutter and wanted to use it...but then it wouldn't be keyed correctly so it wouldn't fit anyway.
July 4, 2006 12:09:20 PM

Will work fine. There's basically no difference between 4X and 8X.
Related resources
July 4, 2006 12:26:04 PM

I see where you're getting confused here.

The AGP 3.0 spec is NOT the same as the voltages. Its merely the electrical revision of the communication specs. AGP 8x runs at 0.8v and 4x runs at 1.5v, its only the older cards that run at 3 volts, like Pain mentioned. The slot itself is also keyed in such a way that older cards simply will not fit, due to the notches in the connector being in the wrong place.

Rest assured, that any modern card will happily run in your motherboard, no problems.

If you want to look into this further, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port - It has all the info you'd ever want on AGP specs and slots.
July 4, 2006 12:41:29 PM

Thanks a lot for the gud news guys :)  but there is just one thing I want to clarify...I know now that the card shud work fine. But will it work at 8x or 4x? I wanna ask because according to wat I have read, 8x would offer a double data rate...
July 4, 2006 12:45:53 PM

It will run 8X if the slot on the mobo supports that. If it doesn't support 8X, it'll run at 4X. And there's no noticable performance difference between the two.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2006 12:53:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the gud news guys :)  but there is just one thing I want to clarify...I know now that the card shud work fine. But will it work at 8x or 4x? I wanna ask because according to wat I have read, 8x would offer a double data rate...

It would work in 8X on your S754 mobo, but you can set your bios to switch between 4X and 8X.

BUT, there is almost zero difference between the two as the AGP 4X bus isn't being saturated. On a NF3U A64 system, I benched a 6800U in 4X and 8X and rarely saw a >1 fps difference. WHere people usually see the performance hit is their 4X only mobos are part of a slower system. They are cpu/system limited not AGP 4X limited, so a higher end card can't shine as it should. A lot of people ask the wrong question; "will AGP4x hurt this card's performance" instead of "will my aging PC bottleneck this card."

That won't be the case on your system, but even so try it (4x vs. 8x) for fun and you will see how little if any difference you can measure (not even see) between the two.
July 4, 2006 1:16:04 PM

Alrighty...thanks a lot ppl.
Well I need to ask this although I doubt anyone can tell me with any degree of certainity...the X800 XL is in pre-order status rite now on the canadian website (http://shopati.ca/product.asp?sku=2984012). Any idea as to when will it ship? The only reason I ask is because I have a friend thr rite now thru whom I am getting the card and he is due to leave arnd 26th July. So will it ship before then?
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2006 1:22:13 PM

No way of knowing if they don't give a ship date. The XL came in pretty quickly in the USA, but they might be on a second batch now. I preordered the X850 pro about a week ago which is supposed to ship week of July 17th. You can always have him order it and then cancel the order if it hasn't shipped by your deadline.
July 5, 2006 11:28:22 AM

Yup, I had a problem a while back with one (ONE!) program that would end up with corrupted GFX after a random amount of time. As part of the trouble shooting, I shifted the AGP from 8x to 4x (I was running out of ideas after eliminating the drivers, program itself etc...) and I noticed very little to no difference at all.

Does make you wonder why the shift to PCI-E was so hurried, theres still plenty of life left in the AGP spec... I wonder if AGP 4.0 would ever have included dual slots for SLI? :D 
!