HP Deskjet 932C Makes Noise

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
needs oiling).

It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
machine).

If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.

If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pete
8 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 932c makes noise

    In article <3%jae.103576$cg1.66667@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    petesworkshop@nospam.att.net says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
    > it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
    > prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
    > and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
    > needs oiling).
    >
    > It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
    > the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
    > of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
    > machine).
    >
    > If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
    > has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
    > By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
    > gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
    > see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
    > when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
    > that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.
    >
    > If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
    > appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
    > that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
    > grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.
    >
    > Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Pete

    I had a 932C and it used to make noises and always sounded like a spring
    was going to sproing along with some creaking, etc. but it worked great.
    I had it for 2 years before giving to my sister and she still uses it. I
    think it is just the nature of this particular printer.
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan

    dear pete,

    it is not the drivers issue.what u need is just a bit of servicing of
    the printer. just apply some oil to the rod and just clean the paper
    sensor and paper loader.

    regards
    aditya

    Aditya...Can you be a little more specific on how/where to apply oil to the
    rod and how/where to clean the paper sensor and paper holder. I am a
    technical person, but I just don't want to make anything worse.
    Thanks...Pete

    "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    > Aditya...Can you be a little more specific on how/where to apply oil to the
    > rod and how/where to clean the paper sensor and paper holder. I am a
    > technical person, but I just don't want to make anything worse.

    Oiling the carriage rod is not recommended as it can cause fibers and gunk to
    collect on the carriage rod. If you must oil it, turn on the printer, open the
    lid allowing the carriage to move to the center. Now unplug the printer. Put
    one drop (no more) of light oil such as 3-in-one on each side of the carriage,
    then move it back and forth by hand a few times.

    Regards,

    "Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote:
    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
    >it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
    >prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
    >and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
    >needs oiling).
    >
    >It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
    >the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
    >of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
    >machine).
    >
    >If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
    >has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
    >By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
    >gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
    >see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
    >when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
    >that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.
    >
    >If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
    >appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
    >that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
    >grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.
    >
    >Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Pete

    Hi Pete
    Certainly not a driver problem.
    I repair printers and this model is a little inclined to squeak when it ages.
    Good reliable printer though. Your description doesn't sound like carriage
    noise, and as Bob Headrick pointed out only a tiny amount of very light oil
    should be applied to the carriage bar at most. I suspect that the problem is
    the large paper rollers, these can be rejuvenated but must be removed from the
    printer because most rejuvenating fluid DESTROYS plastic (great care is
    needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping down
    printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person, 45-60
    minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated except
    as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the printer
    for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
    rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live with
    the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).

    Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by using
    non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case
    <grin>.
    Tony

    Tony...Thanks for all the good info. It is definitely the paper rollers,
    and/or the gears that drive them. The carriage slides on the carriage rod
    with ease and a perfect wisp. There are four large "rubber" rollers that
    feed the paper and the gears that drive them are white plastic (off to the
    left). What did you mean by rejuvenating fluid destroys plastic (i.e. the
    rollers are some kind of rubber). I won't mess with the rollers or try to
    disassemble the printer (per your advice).

    I paid $200 for that bad boy when it first came out and shortly afterwards
    Sam's Club and Walmart were selling then for $125 (oh well). I think I will
    just live with it since I don't use it that much. Could it go on working
    like this (i.e. making noise but it prints fine) for years to come, and does
    the frictional problem eventually cause the paper to stop feeding properly
    and degrade the print. Thanks...Pete

    <Tony> wrote in message news:116lg47e8lbi297@news.supernews.com...
> [...]
    > needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping
    > down
    > printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person,
    > 45-60
    > minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated
    > except
    > as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the
    > printer
    > for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
    > rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live
    > with
    > the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).
    >
    > Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by
    > using
    > non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case

    Pete, I don't know exactly what the rollers are made of, others in the ng may
    know. But I do know
    that they can be wiped with rubber rejuvenator, left to dry and they regain
    some of their grip.. The down side is that the smallest amount of this stuff
    melts most plastics immediately, even traces on your fingers will mark plastic
    permanently. Hence the need to completely remove the roller they are on from
    the printer. This is a big job on this printer, has to be stripped right down,
    some other HP inkjets have a "turnaround" station at the back and pickup
    rollers that are easier to remove. With your model they are difficult. I think
    you are doing the right thing. When the rollers become really worn they may
    start to feed paper unevenly and will probably fail to pick up paper reliably
    (in the later case you can try to clean the rollers with denatured alcohol
    (Isopropyl) in situ, that may work for a while).
    There is a good chance that it will continue to work for ages with a light
    print load but remember that regular use of the printer minimises print head
    clogging....bit of a catch 22!
    Live with it pete, for the cost of the repair you could probably buy a cheap
    printer! Good repairers should also give you this advice and not just take your
    money, problem is you may have to pay a diagnostic fee to get the advice!!! I
    doubt it is the gears, if it is it would be the first time I have seen that (I
    have seen stripped gears a couple of times but only after somebody has done
    something terrible to their printer!!!) if you really want to you could try a
    little plastic friendly grease on the gears but it is not recommended.
    Best wishes
    Tony

> [...]
    >> needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping
    >> down
    >> printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person,
    >> 45-60
    >> minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated
    >> except
    >> as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the
    >> printer
    >> for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
    >> rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live
    >> with
    >> the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).
    >>
    >> Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by
    >> using
    >> non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case

    Tony...Thanks so much for your in depth information. I will let her burn
    out - and not to worry, I always print test pages every so often (both color
    and black and white) to keep the printer cartridges from clogging up. I
    agree with you it is definitely the rollers (those plastic gears look fine -
    like they would last forever). The rollers are not dirty and look okay
    also. A person at HP said he would guide me through resetting the rollers
    (but I had to pay $30.00 with my VISA card). Does that help sometimes -
    sounds like it's not worth the risk of losing the $30.00 if it didn't help.
    Please get back to me one more time if you can. I feel more comfortable
    with the situation after reading all the good info you sent. Thanks
    again...Pete

    <Tony> wrote in message news:116o2fkk5q6ie11@news.supernews.com...
> [...]
    >>> down
    >>> printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person,
    >>> 45-60
    >>> minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated
    >>> except
    >>> as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the
    >>> printer
    >>> for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
    >>> rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively
    >>> live
    >>> with
    >>> the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).
    >>>
    >>> Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by
    >>> using
    >>> non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the

Printers Hewlett Packard Deskjet Peripherals