HP Deskjet 932C Makes Noise

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
needs oiling).

It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
machine).

If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.

If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pete

Jan

In article <3%jae.103576$cg1.66667@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
petesworkshop@nospam.att.net says...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
> it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
> prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
> and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
> needs oiling).
>
> It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
> the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
> of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
> machine).
>
> If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
> has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
> By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
> gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
> see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
> when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
> that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.
>
> If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
> appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
> that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
> grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.
>
> Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Pete

I had a 932C and it used to make noises and always sounded like a spring
was going to sproing along with some creaking, etc. but it worked great.
I had it for 2 years before giving to my sister and she still uses it. I
think it is just the nature of this particular printer.
--

Cheers!

Jan

dear pete,

it is not the drivers issue.what u need is just a bit of servicing of
the printer. just apply some oil to the rod and just clean the paper
sensor and paper loader.

regards
aditya

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Aditya...Can you be a little more specific on how/where to apply oil to the
rod and how/where to clean the paper sensor and paper holder. I am a
technical person, but I just don't want to make anything worse.
Thanks...Pete

"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> Aditya...Can you be a little more specific on how/where to apply oil to the
> rod and how/where to clean the paper sensor and paper holder. I am a
> technical person, but I just don't want to make anything worse.

Oiling the carriage rod is not recommended as it can cause fibers and gunk to
collect on the carriage rod. If you must oil it, turn on the printer, open the
lid allowing the carriage to move to the center. Now unplug the printer. Put
one drop (no more) of light oil such as 3-in-one on each side of the carriage,
then move it back and forth by hand a few times.

Regards,

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Pete" <petesworkshop@nospam.att.net> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I just downloaded and installed a new printer driver for my Deskjet 932C so
>it would be compatible with my new computer which has windows XP in it. It
>prints okay, but makes strange scraping type noises when it loads the paper
>and a squeaking type noise when it is rolling the paper out (like something
>needs oiling).
>
>It worked fine before I put the new driver in. Is there any way at all that
>the driver could be causing the noise (e.g., could it be sending some kind
>of distorted signal causing erratic movement in the mechanical parts of the
>machine).
>
>If not, then it must be a coincidence, and it needs oiling somewhere or it
>has just pooped out. It is only 4 years old and I don't use it that much.
>By looking inside with the top lifted I can see a couple of white plastic
>gears (probably Teflon coated or something like that) to the left. Can't
>see much to the right because the print cartridges are parked in the way
>when you lift to top. There are obviously some kind of bearings or bushings
>that the main roller sets in. Maybe they need oiling also.
>
>If someone can tell me what needs oiling and how to get at it, I would
>appreciate it. Or if you aren't supposed to oil anything, then tell me
>that. I have some fine "super lube with Teflon" that I use for my
>grandfather clock. I would think that would be okay if it does need oiling.
>
>Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Pete

Hi Pete
Certainly not a driver problem.
I repair printers and this model is a little inclined to squeak when it ages.
Good reliable printer though. Your description doesn't sound like carriage
noise, and as Bob Headrick pointed out only a tiny amount of very light oil
should be applied to the carriage bar at most. I suspect that the problem is
the large paper rollers, these can be rejuvenated but must be removed from the
printer because most rejuvenating fluid DESTROYS plastic (great care is
needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping down
printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person, 45-60
minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated except
as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the printer
for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live with
the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).

Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by using
non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case
<grin>.
Tony

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Tony...Thanks for all the good info. It is definitely the paper rollers,
and/or the gears that drive them. The carriage slides on the carriage rod
with ease and a perfect wisp. There are four large "rubber" rollers that
feed the paper and the gears that drive them are white plastic (off to the
left). What did you mean by rejuvenating fluid destroys plastic (i.e. the
rollers are some kind of rubber). I won't mess with the rollers or try to
disassemble the printer (per your advice).

I paid $200 for that bad boy when it first came out and shortly afterwards
Sam's Club and Walmart were selling then for $125 (oh well). I think I will
just live with it since I don't use it that much. Could it go on working
like this (i.e. making noise but it prints fine) for years to come, and does
the frictional problem eventually cause the paper to stop feeding properly
and degrade the print. Thanks...Pete

<Tony> wrote in message news:116lg47e8lbi297@news.supernews.com...
> [...]
> needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping
> down
> printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person,
> 45-60
> minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated
> except
> as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the
> printer
> for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
> rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live
> with
> the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).
>
> Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by
> using
> non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Pete, I don't know exactly what the rollers are made of, others in the ng may
know. But I do know
that they can be wiped with rubber rejuvenator, left to dry and they regain
some of their grip.. The down side is that the smallest amount of this stuff
melts most plastics immediately, even traces on your fingers will mark plastic
permanently. Hence the need to completely remove the roller they are on from
the printer. This is a big job on this printer, has to be stripped right down,
some other HP inkjets have a "turnaround" station at the back and pickup
rollers that are easier to remove. With your model they are difficult. I think
you are doing the right thing. When the rollers become really worn they may
start to feed paper unevenly and will probably fail to pick up paper reliably
(in the later case you can try to clean the rollers with denatured alcohol
(Isopropyl) in situ, that may work for a while).
There is a good chance that it will continue to work for ages with a light
print load but remember that regular use of the printer minimises print head
clogging....bit of a catch 22!
Live with it pete, for the cost of the repair you could probably buy a cheap
printer! Good repairers should also give you this advice and not just take your
money, problem is you may have to pay a diagnostic fee to get the advice!!! I
doubt it is the gears, if it is it would be the first time I have seen that (I
have seen stripped gears a couple of times but only after somebody has done
something terrible to their printer!!!) if you really want to you could try a
little plastic friendly grease on the gears but it is not recommended.
Best wishes
Tony

> [...]
>> needed!). So unless you are expert at removing the covers and stripping
>> down
>> printers I suggest you take it to your friendly printer repair person,
>> 45-60
>> minutes labour should do it. Nothing in the printer should be lubricated
>> except
>> as a last resort. A repairer will clean the carriage bar, inspect the
>> printer
>> for wear, clean the service station (waste ink collection) and dress the
>> rollers. In my experience this is effective most times. Alernatively live
>> with
>> the problem until the printer finally dies of old age (they all do).
>>
>> Some contributors to this NG may suggest that the problem is caused by
>> using
>> non OEM cartridges (couldn't resist that measakite), that is not the case

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Tony...Thanks so much for your in depth information. I will let her burn
out - and not to worry, I always print test pages every so often (both color
and black and white) to keep the printer cartridges from clogging up. I
agree with you it is definitely the rollers (those plastic gears look fine -
like they would last forever). The rollers are not dirty and look okay
also. A person at HP said he would guide me through resetting the rollers
(but I had to pay $30.00 with my VISA card). Does that help sometimes -
sounds like it's not worth the risk of losing the $30.00 if it didn't help.
Please get back to me one more time if you can. I feel more comfortable
with the situation after reading all the good info you sent. Thanks
again...Pete

TRENDING THREADS