My XP is running ridiculously slow

I got my computer about a year ago. Before knowing anything about
spyware/adware I was downloading all kinds of stuff from Kazaa and Bearshare.
My computer then ran quite slow so I deleted the software, downloaded
spybot S&D and installed a firewall. After running Spybot, my computer and
XP is running even slower than before. Even browsing the Internet with
broadband is slow. In Windows Task Manager the CPU Usage now jumps from 2%
to 100% constantly and the PF usage is always maxed out. How do I get my
computer to run normally again?

You may wish to check Jim Eshelman's site here and do a read
http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm
Spyware and other parasites have become quite sophisticated and can be
really difficult to get rid of. I generally follow a process like this. All
software can be found with links at Jim's site
1) I run CWShredder from Safe Mode and let it fix what it finds. Reboot and
run again.
2) Then I run Ad-Aware let it clean what it finds then immediately reboot
and run again until it reports nothing found.
3) Then I run HiJackThis and take a careful look at what it finds. If I
don't know what I'm looking at I post the log file to a forum like Jim's for
the more discerning eye to pick out what may be a problem.
4) If Spyware was found I dump my System Restore Points. No sense in
reinfecting the system.
5) I install Spyware Blaster and keep it updated regularly.

There are a number of Trojans and hijackers that seem to be able to
reinstall themselves so it is important to keep your system monitored.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Jet" <Jet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got my computer about a year ago. Before knowing anything about
> spyware/adware I was downloading all kinds of stuff from Kazaa and
> Bearshare.
> My computer then ran quite slow so I deleted the software, downloaded
> spybot S&D and installed a firewall. After running Spybot, my computer
> and
> XP is running even slower than before. Even browsing the Internet with
> broadband is slow. In Windows Task Manager the CPU Usage now jumps from
> 2%
> to 100% constantly and the PF usage is always maxed out. How do I get my
> computer to run normally again?

If you are not in the habit of defragmenting your hard drive, start now. Go
to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools and run it. If the drive is
heavily fragmented, run it two or three times. You can schedule it to run
automatically (every week is OK) with the Task Manager. Good luck.

"Jet" <Jet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got my computer about a year ago. Before knowing anything about
> spyware/adware I was downloading all kinds of stuff from Kazaa and
> Bearshare.
> My computer then ran quite slow so I deleted the software, downloaded
> spybot S&D and installed a firewall. After running Spybot, my computer
> and
> XP is running even slower than before. Even browsing the Internet with
> broadband is slow. In Windows Task Manager the CPU Usage now jumps from
> 2%
> to 100% constantly and the PF usage is always maxed out. How do I get my
> computer to run normally again?

It is likely you need to clean all the 'junk' from your machine as others
have suggested. There are many tools to help you do that and after applying
all these tools you may be successful.

If you are prepared to put the effort and time into it the sure way is to
backup your data, format and reinstall. I know it is somewhat extreme but
at least you are sure it 'works' and it forces you to re evaluate the need
for many of the programs we tend to accumulate over time and often
contribute to a 'slow' machine.

"Jet" <Jet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got my computer about a year ago. Before knowing anything about
> spyware/adware I was downloading all kinds of stuff from Kazaa and
> Bearshare.
> My computer then ran quite slow so I deleted the software, downloaded
> spybot S&D and installed a firewall. After running Spybot, my computer
> and
> XP is running even slower than before. Even browsing the Internet with
> broadband is slow. In Windows Task Manager the CPU Usage now jumps from
> 2%
> to 100% constantly and the PF usage is always maxed out. How do I get my
> computer to run normally again?

Hi !!

Since you have done quite a lot of installation and removal of softwares,
and also you may have affected the system files that way. but first check
firewall settings and see what services are running behind the OS. Also
please make sure that you defragment your hard disk to gain optimum
performance. Please avoid using such softwares and use well-known one's like
norton and Mcafee based firewall softwares.