Possible to Split Domains Trees into 2 Forests?

aw

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Is it possible to take a domain tree in a forest and move it into its own
forest in Windows 2003? Example: Domain a.com and b.com are in the same
forest with a.com being the root. Can I move b.com into its own seperate
forest?

Thanks for any help!!!

"AW" <awise@avazpour.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to take a domain tree in a forest and move it into its own
> forest in Windows 2003?

No. There is not supported way to do this.
(and I personally know of no unsupported method.)

> Example: Domain a.com and b.com are in the same
> forest with a.com being the root. Can I move b.com into its own seperate
> forest?

No.

There is no support for true prune and graft even in Win2003.

There is limited support for Forest Trusts which approximates
grafting (as least it solves some of the same issues) and some
support for re-organization, but no prune.

The tree being prune will need to be migrated and then
destroyed. It will not really be the same domains or
even the same users afterwards.

--
Herb Martin