Slow creating a new user in Active Directory

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 16, 2005 7:39:01 AM

I am using windows 2000 server, with Active Directory. When I go into the
Active Directory to create a new user or copy an existing user, after
entering all the details it takes up to 4 or five minutes to actually create
the account. When it finally returns it comes back with the message

"Windows cannot validate the uniqueness of this proposed user name with a
global catalog server because: This operation returned because the time out
period expired."

In this situation this is a standalone Windows 2000 server with 30 odd
machines connecting to it.

Can anyone help as I have about 40 accounts to create and I can just see how
long this will take.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Michael Boyd
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 8:01:03 AM

"Michael Boyd" wrote:

> In this situation this is a standalone Windows 2000 server with 30 odd
> machines connecting to it.

Is this 'standalone' Win 2000 Server = 'windows 2000 server, with Active
Directory' you mentioned?

How many domain controllers do you have in the Win 2000 Active Directory?

In any case, it should have Global Catalog activated (ADSS > site name >
server name > NTDS Settings > Properties). Ideally, more than one DC for
redundancy / performance reasons per AD Site is always recommended.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
!