Active Directory in Native Mode

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 16, 2005 2:03:02 PM

Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native mode
AD?

Thanks,
JP
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 8:08:41 PM

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native
mode
> AD?
`
Yes.

If you needed it before (in mixed mode) you still need it
after.

You need WINS when you have a Microsoft network
using IP with more than one subnet.

(Technically you could use LMHosts but that is really
practical for most people and is a lot more trouble --
and technically you might benefit from WINS Server
with one subnet but it isn't as critical and seldom helps
much these days.)

Also note: ALL of you machines need to be WINS clients;
this includes the servers, DC, and evne the WINS server(s).

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks,
> JP
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 8:48:30 PM

It depends but probably. What are you using it for now?

joe

www.joeware.net

Jason wrote:
> Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native mode
> AD?
>
> Thanks,
> JP
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:18:43 PM

Yes, if you had to before. Switching to Windows 2000 native mode only means,
no more NT4.0 BDCs.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson