Active Directory in Native Mode

Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native mode
AD?

Thanks,
JP
3 answers Last reply
More about active directory native mode

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native
    mode
    > AD?
    `
    Yes.

    If you needed it before (in mixed mode) you still need it
    after.

    You need WINS when you have a Microsoft network
    using IP with more than one subnet.

    (Technically you could use LMHosts but that is really
    practical for most people and is a lot more trouble --
    and technically you might benefit from WINS Server
    with one subnet but it isn't as critical and seldom helps
    much these days.)

    Also note: ALL of you machines need to be WINS clients;
    this includes the servers, DC, and evne the WINS server(s).

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks,
    > JP

    It depends but probably. What are you using it for now?

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Jason wrote:
    > Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native mode
    > AD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JP

    Yes, if you had to before. Switching to Windows 2000 native mode only means,
    no more NT4.0 BDCs.

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Do I still need to use the WINS service once I have converted to native
    > mode
    > AD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JP