How to add multiple DNS suffix for VPN users

I want to automatically provide multiple DNS suffix to my VPN clients, how
do I do this?

I ied to add it in the DHCP server scope option - DNS Suffix Search Order -
but I do not have the setting available to my VPN clients...

What am I missing?

"-->AP<--" <ap@mail.com> wrote in message
> I want to automatically provide multiple DNS suffix to my VPN clients, how
> do I do this?

The RRAS server will have to be a DHCP Relay
Agent (it's a trick and has nothing to do with really
needing the relay) to give out the options from the
DHCP server (rather than it's own.)

Put the settings in the DHCP server.

If you don't want all machines to get these, you will
have to set up User defined ClassID's to override this
for your other machines.

You can of course change it on the clients.

BTW, this is a lot of (minor but tedious) trouble for
doing what you propose. You do realize that additional
suffixes just mean your users don't have to type full
names and that it changes nothing about what really
works or not -- and probably just slows up the clients
whenever they mistype a name.

--
Herb Martin

"-->AP<--" <ap@mail.com> wrote in message
> I want to automatically provide multiple DNS suffix to my VPN clients, how
> do I do this?
>
> I ied to add it in the DHCP server scope option - DNS Suffix Search
Order -
> but I do not have the setting available to my VPN clients...
>
> What am I missing?

Herb,

Would you mind elaborating on how you can configure multiple DNS suffixes
please?

I've only been able to find an option for Primary DNS Suffix. And have had
to resort to configuring multiple, connection-specific suffixes using a
script that writes the values to the registry.

Cheers,

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Herb,
>
> Would you mind elaborating on how you can configure multiple DNS suffixes
> please?
>
> I've only been able to find an option for Primary DNS Suffix. And have
had
> to resort to configuring multiple, connection-specific suffixes using a
> script that writes the values to the registry.

If you cannot find it PT, then I am likely wrong

--
Herb Martin

> Cheers,
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net

> "-->AP<--" <ap@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I want to automatically provide multiple DNS suffix to my VPN clients,
how
> > do I do this?
> >

> The RRAS server will have to be a DHCP Relay
> Agent (it's a trick and has nothing to do with really
> needing the relay) to give out the options from the
> DHCP server (rather than it's own.)
>
> Put the settings in the DHCP server.
>
> If you don't want all machines to get these, you will
> have to set up User defined ClassID's to override this
> for your other machines.
>
> You can of course change it on the clients.
>
> BTW, this is a lot of (minor but tedious) trouble for
> doing what you propose. You do realize that additional
> suffixes just mean your users don't have to type full
> names and that it changes nothing about what really
> works or not -- and probably just slows up the clients
> whenever they mistype a name.
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

> "-->AP<--" <ap@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I want to automatically provide multiple DNS suffix to my VPN clients,
how
> > do I do this?
> >
> > I ied to add it in the DHCP server scope option - DNS Suffix Search
> Order -
> > but I do not have the setting available to my VPN clients...
> >
> > What am I missing?

Damn!!! I was hoping I was wrong, and you were right ;-)

I guess I'll have to stick to scripting it...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net