(Win2000 )Command to Display Organizational Unit

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Just out of interest, is there a command that can be Run from a W2K
client machine, which will show me what 'Organizational Unit' the
machine belongs to? Of course, there is a number of commands and
places from a client machine that show the Domain it belongs to, but
never the Organizational Unit?

Thanks,
Nick.

While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....

I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just be
a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure. His
web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
oldcmp.....another great tool.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Nick" <nickcleasby@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just out of interest, is there a command that can be Run from a W2K
> client machine, which will show me what 'Organizational Unit' the
> machine belongs to? Of course, there is a number of commands and
> places from a client machine that show the Domain it belongs to, but
> never the Organizational Unit?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick.

Err how about www.joeware.net. :eek:)

From the command line you could do something like

adfind -gc -b -f name=machinename -dn

and it should show the distinguished name of the machine. If you have multiple
objects with the same name it will show all of those objects so you can narrow
it down in various ways by modifying the specific query.

joe

www.joeware.net

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
> While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
> this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....
>
> I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just be
> a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure. His
> web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
> oldcmp.....another great tool.

Just can't type! Sorry!

Cary

--

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Err how about www.joeware.net. :eek:)
>
> From the command line you could do something like
>
> adfind -gc -b -f name=machinename -dn
>
> and it should show the distinguished name of the machine. If you have
> multiple objects with the same name it will show all of those objects so
> you can narrow it down in various ways by modifying the specific query.
>
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> www.joeware.net
>

> Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
>> While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
>> this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....
>>
>> I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just
>> be a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure.
>> His web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
>> oldcmp.....another great tool.

Don't sweat it. :)

www.joeware.net