(Win2000 )Command to Display Organizational Unit

Hi,

Just out of interest, is there a command that can be Run from a W2K
client machine, which will show me what 'Organizational Unit' the
machine belongs to? Of course, there is a number of commands and
places from a client machine that show the Domain it belongs to, but
never the Organizational Unit?

Thanks,
Nick.
4 answers Last reply
More about win2000 command display organizational unit

    While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
    this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....

    I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just be
    a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure. His
    web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
    oldcmp.....another great tool.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "Nick" <nickcleasby@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just out of interest, is there a command that can be Run from a W2K
    > client machine, which will show me what 'Organizational Unit' the
    > machine belongs to? Of course, there is a number of commands and
    > places from a client machine that show the Domain it belongs to, but
    > never the Organizational Unit?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nick.

    Err how about www.joeware.net. :o)

    From the command line you could do something like

    adfind -gc -b -f name=machinename -dn

    and it should show the distinguished name of the machine. If you have multiple
    objects with the same name it will show all of those objects so you can narrow
    it down in various ways by modifying the specific query.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
    > While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
    > this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....
    >
    > I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just be
    > a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure. His
    > web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
    > oldcmp.....another great tool.

    Just can't type! Sorry!

    Cary

    --

    "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Err how about www.joeware.net. :o)
    >
    > From the command line you could do something like
    >
    > adfind -gc -b -f name=machinename -dn
    >
    > and it should show the distinguished name of the machine. If you have
    > multiple objects with the same name it will show all of those objects so
    > you can narrow it down in various ways by modifying the specific query.
    >
    > joe
    >
    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
    >> While it might not be the most efficient, you can use ldifde to determine
    >> this. However, you would need to know the way to filter....
    >>
    >> I might think that Joe has that nifty little tool ADFIND that might just
    >> be a bit better....not ever really played with it yet so I am not sure.
    >> His web site is http://www.jopeware.net. Also, take a look at
    >> oldcmp.....another great tool.

    Don't sweat it. :)

    www.joeware.net

    Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
    > Just can't type! Sorry!
    >
    > Cary

Active Directory Command Prompt Windows Displays