willie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

My XP machine is doing odd things on startup. First of
all,once it does past the BIOS and I get the white bar at
the bottom,its moving incredibly slow before it goes to
the XP logo screen with the green bar. That startup screen
is also incredibly slow.

But wait it gets better. After staying on that screen for
about 2 minutes the screen goes blank and the computer
reboots,running through the process once again.

I sat here and watched the machine do this about three
times.

Sooo,I tried to boot into safe mode,nope...same thing
happens.

Then safe mode with command prompt,thinking if I could get
to a command prompt,I could manually run the restore tool.

It did the same thing!! Kept rebooting.

I've checked the BIOS settings and everything there looks
normal.

I can't run the CD ROM right at this moment cause its in a
storage unit buried in a box somewhere (tried looking for
it today)

So,any ideas on how to fix this vexing issue?

Hi,

Dig out the storage box, locate the CD. You will need to do a repair
installation to break the cycle, unless perhaps you have installed SP2
already. If so you should see an option on the boot menu to "Disable
automatic restart on system failure". Choosing this option may allow you to
fully boot with errors, or produce a blue screen "stop" error that may point
to the problem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/