Odd startup issues.

My XP machine is doing odd things on startup. First of
all,once it does past the BIOS and I get the white bar at
the bottom,its moving incredibly slow before it goes to
the XP logo screen with the green bar. That startup screen
is also incredibly slow.

But wait it gets better. After staying on that screen for
about 2 minutes the screen goes blank and the computer
reboots,running through the process once again.

I sat here and watched the machine do this about three
times.

Sooo,I tried to boot into safe mode,nope...same thing
happens.

Then safe mode with command prompt,thinking if I could get
to a command prompt,I could manually run the restore tool.

It did the same thing!! Kept rebooting.

I've checked the BIOS settings and everything there looks
normal.

I can't run the CD ROM right at this moment cause its in a
storage unit buried in a box somewhere (tried looking for
it today)

So,any ideas on how to fix this vexing issue?
1 answer Last reply
More about startup issues

    Hi,

    Dig out the storage box, locate the CD. You will need to do a repair
    installation to break the cycle, unless perhaps you have installed SP2
    already. If so you should see an option on the boot menu to "Disable
    automatic restart on system failure". Choosing this option may allow you to
    fully boot with errors, or produce a blue screen "stop" error that may point
    to the problem.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Willie" <izzitdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My XP machine is doing odd things on startup. First of
    > all,once it does past the BIOS and I get the white bar at
    > the bottom,its moving incredibly slow before it goes to
    > the XP logo screen with the green bar. That startup screen
    > is also incredibly slow.
    >
    > But wait it gets better. After staying on that screen for
    > about 2 minutes the screen goes blank and the computer
    > reboots,running through the process once again.
    >
    > I sat here and watched the machine do this about three
    > times.
    >
    > Sooo,I tried to boot into safe mode,nope...same thing
    > happens.
    >
    > Then safe mode with command prompt,thinking if I could get
    > to a command prompt,I could manually run the restore tool.
    >
    > It did the same thing!! Kept rebooting.
    >
    > I've checked the BIOS settings and everything there looks
    > normal.
    >
    > I can't run the CD ROM right at this moment cause its in a
    > storage unit buried in a box somewhere (tried looking for
    > it today)
    >
    > So,any ideas on how to fix this vexing issue?

Windows XP