Sign in with
Your question

Cooler/Heatsink for Pentium D930

Last response: in Overclocking
July 4, 2006 4:06:44 PM

Hi folks,

although my processor isn't overclocked I figured this might be the right forum for my question. If it's not, please forgive me.

What I wanted to ask is which CPU cooler/heatsink to get for my Pentium D930 (3Ghz). At the moment the Intel boxed cooler is installed and as usual a real pain in the ass as soon as there is only little CPU load. The noise level @4700rpm is not quite what I would call bearable.
So any pointers on which heatsink to get? I was thinking about the Thermalright SI-120 or the Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000P. The former with an additional 120mm fan attached (any pointers to cool and quiet fans appriciated).
The CPU is now running at 46°C with the fan at 4.7k rpm. at a quite silent 2.1k rpm it goes up to 50° when idle.

Furthermore I was wondering how hot the mobo may get. I'm running the Pentium D on an Asus P5WD2 Premium which isn't actively cooled. Speedfan reports a motherboard temperature of 43°C when idle which just wen't to 45° when I was playing Age of Empires III.
Any hint's? I didn't find anything in the mobo manual. But I'm a little worried since PC Probe II has a preset alarm at 45°.

TIA,
mcdeck
July 4, 2006 4:45:56 PM

I would use the Zalman in my sig.
Silent and efficient.
There are a lot of good hsf's out there as of now and some better than others.
cpu temps around 62 to 64C heavy loads are normal with stock hsf with higher ambient temps.
My temps @ 26C ambient are 42 Idle and 62C full load.
Motherboard temps 34C idle 40C full load. (As of today)
Whatever you choose try to stay with 120mm fan. (Minimum)
Your motherboard temps at 45C is too hot stock speeds.
Unless you’re ambient temps are very high.
Make sure you have good ventilation in your case and no cables or drives obstructing the case fans.
Related resources
July 5, 2006 8:19:46 PM

Thank you both.

I ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro now (the first one uber_g siggested). Mainly because it is cheap and has a 4-pin PWM connector.

Still there is the motherboard temperature that keeps me worried. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that stupid thing keeps getting so hot. Some hours ago I just rearranged the harddrives blocking most of the airflow from the front fan (120mm, came with the Tsunami Dream) to the rear exhaust. Yet the temp went thorugh the roof like 20 minutes after booting and beeing absolutely idle.
That said I can only hope the Freezer will provide some additional ventilation to the northbridge (which I guess is what's getting so hot .. the massive heatsink would suggest temperature issues).
Regarding ambient temps, I don't now if the MX5000's tempreature sensor works correctly, but it reports around 30°C in here.

Still any pointers on how to fix this (or to ignore this ;) ) highly appreciated.

Thanks again and regards
mcdeck
July 5, 2006 8:33:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you both.

I ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro now (the first one uber_g siggested). Mainly because it is cheap and has a 4-pin PWM connector.

Still there is the motherboard temperature that keeps me worried. I cannot for the life of me figure out why that stupid thing keeps getting so hot. Some hours ago I just rearranged the harddrives blocking most of the airflow from the front fan (120mm, came with the Tsunami Dream) to the rear exhaust. Yet the temp went thorugh the roof like 20 minutes after booting and beeing absolutely idle.
That said I can only hope the Freezer will provide some additional ventilation to the northbridge (which I guess is what's getting so hot .. the massive heatsink would suggest temperature issues).
Regarding ambient temps, I don't now if the MX5000's tempreature sensor works correctly, but it reports around 30°C in here.

Still any pointers on how to fix this (or to ignore this ;) ) highly appreciated.

Thanks again and regards
mcdeck
That's why i recommend the Thermalright SI-120 or XP-120...because the overhang from the 120mm fan helps cool the motherboard components, and even the RAM in some cases and chipset.
July 5, 2006 8:51:05 PM

I thought about the SI-120. What kept me from buying was the price plus there a no 120mm fans with a PWM connector. At least to my knowledge.
I'm not sure, but that would have rendered the Asus Q-Fan or Speedfan which I perfer useles, wouldn't it?
If the Feezer doesn't do the trick I think I'm gonna buy the SI-120. Anyhow not beeing able to control fanspeed (Besides using my Hardcano 13 - which, btw, totally sucks - for that) is quite a bummer.
Or are there any 120mm fans with PWM connectors?
July 5, 2006 8:58:20 PM

Asus Q-fan will work woth the arctic freezer , i have mine on right now , and its really really quiet

cooling is good to
July 5, 2006 9:08:26 PM

Quote:
Asus Q-fan will work woth the arctic freezer , i have mine on right now , and its really really quiet

cooling is good to

I know. Which is one of the reasons I bought the freezer :) 
July 5, 2006 9:13:06 PM

sweeetness

enjoy !
July 5, 2006 9:28:44 PM

Quote:

cooling is good to

I know. Which is one of the reasons I bought the freezer :) 

I have my artic freezer (pictured here) installed on my Honda 2.2 16 valve SOHC.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7318/pic1hot23puter3...
July 6, 2006 5:07:25 AM

ROFL
!