dcpromo /forceremoval does not work

I tried to demote a domain controller by force with dcpromo /forceremoval. It
used to be the secondary domain controller in a domain and i have no
connection to the primary DC available. However, it doesn't want to play
along and mocks me with the simple error message "Failed finding a suitable
domain controller for domain ....".

How can I demote this PC now?

Thank you very much for your help!
cheers, mike

"Mike_68" <Mike_68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried to demote a domain controller by force with dcpromo /forceremoval.
It
> used to be the secondary domain controller in a domain and i have no
> connection to the primary DC available. However, it doesn't want to play
> along and mocks me with the simple error message "Failed finding a
suitable
> domain controller for domain ....".
>
> How can I demote this PC now?

Is this DC sufficiently updated to have that switch?

Somewhere between SP2 and Sp4 they added that.

--
Herb Martin

> Thank you very much for your help!
> cheers, mike

Hi Herb

yepp, Win2k Server, running SP3. forceremoval was added in SP2.

cheers, mike

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "Mike_68" <Mike_68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I tried to demote a domain controller by force with dcpromo /forceremoval.
> It
> > used to be the secondary domain controller in a domain and i have no
> > connection to the primary DC available. However, it doesn't want to play
> > along and mocks me with the simple error message "Failed finding a
> suitable
> > domain controller for domain ....".
> >
> > How can I demote this PC now?
>
> Is this DC sufficiently updated to have that switch?
>
> Somewhere between SP2 and Sp4 they added that.
>

> --
> Herb Martin
>

> > Thank you very much for your help!
> > cheers, mike

you can reference Q216498 and use ntdsutil to permantely
get rid of it, just make sure you read all the way through
the procedure before beginning. You can then use ADSI edit
to cleanup anything remaining. good luck!

> you can reference Q216498 and use ntdsutil to permantely
> get rid of it, just make sure you read all the way through
> the procedure before beginning. You can then use ADSI edit
> to cleanup anything remaining. good luck!

Are you saying you can use NTDSUtil to remove AD
from the SAME machine that is the DC?

--
Herb Martin