major heating issues?

heyas

not sure where to turn for a problem like this
but ill try here :) this is a more general issue and not totaly related to my cpu

anyways, 2 months ago i was having major cpu heating problems
with temps of 70c on idle and 90c with load
i was able to fix it by putting some thermal paste on it (which it hardly had any at all)

now, ever since last night
iv been noticing the cpu creeping up there again, but also my gpu aswell
they are both running at 60, say if one goes up to 70c the other will too
my cpu was running around 40-45c on idle and gpu around 50c
my motherboard and hard drive temps seem to be up 10c too
its summer time and all, and it will be hotter, but it really isnt that bad in this room.

now my question is, is there any cause for alarm here? iv been told that a cpu should not run hotter then 50c EVER, gpus are different, but nothing like this on idle
and what can i do to fix this? im a novice when it comes to messing with fans and hardware and stuff

i was using everast to check my temps, but also say in my bios that it climbed from 40c to 55c when i rebooted today :o
16 answers Last reply
More about major heating issues
  1. Can't help you unless you provide your system's specs, specifically your mobo (along with the revision and BIOS version), CPU (down to the core and stepping), video card manufacturer and model, cooling system (stock or aftermarket ?), case setup and room temperature.

It would also help to know which app you are monitoring your temps with...

Also, if you are overclocking, please provide the Vcore and any relevant settings related to your OC.
  2. ASUS P4P800-SE revision 1009
    my cpu is a P4 3ghz, im not sure where im supposed to find the other information you require for it
    video card is an Nvidia 6600GT 256 AGP 8x
    iv had to replace my one case fan and gpu fan many times due to them wearing out. the only sock fan is my cpu one, that im pretty sure hasent caused any trouble so far

i was using both my BIOs and a program called everest to check my temps
    as of this moment my temps looks like this (copied from everest)

Motherboard 42 °C (108 °F)
    CPU 59 °C (138 °F)
    GPU 59 °C (138 °F)
    WDC WD1600JB-32EVA0 42 °C (108 °F) <-- this is not my primary hard drive, not sure why its only showing my secondary

i have not overclocked any of my system
  3. Check the system for dust on the heatsinks, fans, and vents. Too much dust will act as a heat insulator, and will also block hot air going out the exhaust.
  4. Let me guess Prescott?
  5. I would'nt thrust the temps that Everest is reporting, it seems strange that your GPU and CPU would have the exact same temps.

Try using Asus Probe from the CD that came with your motherboard, see if it report the same temps as Everest.

The nVidia control panel should include a section labled "Temperature Settings", that's where you should look in order to get your GPU temp.

BTW, those temps you provided in your last post are useless without your room temperature, beside, are those idle or 100% load temps ?

When you applied the thermal paste two months ago, what compound did you use and have you cleaned both the CPU and the HSF surface with isopropanol ?

Note that some stock P4 HSF have a pad made of a thin sheet of metal foil sandwiched between two layers of graphite-like material, did you remove it before you applied whatever thermal paste that you used ?
  6. its a prescott

both asus probe and the nvidia control panel are reporting the same as everest (or atleast very close)
    i am unsure of the room temp, but i say it would have to be atleast 20c in here

as im typing this my cpu is 63c and gpu is 61c and are idle temps
    i have no idea what thermal paste was used or if the cpu/hsf was cleaned at all. im, not sure if there was a pad or not on the stock HFS but, if there was it was removed. these things were not done by me, so im not totaly sure
  7. Then whoever serviced your computer did a sloppy job (guess why most people here do it themselves...), Prescotts run hot but that's too high for an idle temp in a 20C room, you would probably hit the mid 70's under load (curious ? try Prime95 Torture Test).
  8. oh iv seen it go up to 70 on load too :( (and not a very big one either)

thats certinly whats bugs me the most, i dont have the knowledge to do these things myself. and theres no where to go to get it done properly

im shit outa luck, im afraid that if i do this myself i would most certinly break something
  9. There is a first time to everything, otherwise, you won't learn a thing...

If you read up on the subject, use your common sense and take your time, you'll do fine.
  10. I am an unfortunate owner of a 3.2 Prescott, but I don't believe your Prescott reached 90c, the thing should have shut down at around 80c. My Prescott idles at around 52c and at full load it is 73c, using stock air cooling.
  11. and your pc runs fine at those temps? maybe its not so bad :) 90c is what it said, beleave it or not hehe. i pullin my hair out thinkin it was gunna explode 8O

but that doesnt mean i wont try and fix it. ill give it a go myself
    what do you think i should do though? replace all my fans? get more fans?
    better fans? what brand of fan/thermal paste would last longer then 2 months :roll: :D
  12. Quote:
    and your pc runs fine at those temps? maybe its not so bad :) 90c is what it said, beleave it or not hehe. i pullin my hair out thinkin it was gunna explode 8O

but that doesnt mean i wont try and fix it. ill give it a go myself
    what do you think i should do though? replace all my fans? get more fans?
    better fans? what brand of fan/thermal paste would last longer then 2 months :roll: :D

My Prescott runs fine at full load 73c. Maybe your problem is your case, what brand and model is it? Mines an Antec Sonata Piano Black, here's a review for it: http://www.skenegroup.net/en/articles/sonata_eng.1

Anyways with Conroe coming out later this month, maybe it's best just to scrap the Prescott "room heater" and go with the Conroe E6300 (the cheapest Conroe model and it costs under $200 bucks and is comparable to an Athlon X2 4200+) . That's what I'll be doing.
  13. i was thinkin it might be the case too
    its an HP case that came with my computer before i totaly upgraded all of it
    :evil: certinly something on my list of upgrades heh

iv heard that the new conroe was much hotter though
  14. Quote:
    i was thinkin it might be the case too
    its an HP case that came with my computer before i totaly upgraded all of it
    :evil: certinly something on my list of upgrades heh

Where did you hear that the Conroe runs hotter? From all I heard it uses less power, and it's much more efficient.
  15. Quote:

???????????

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-preview_10.html

Core 2 Extreme X6800 ====> 75w TDP

Core 2 Duo E6300 - E6700 ====> 65w TDP
  16. kk i did some reading today, and found alot of cpu heating issues people have posted on the net have been related to hot air not being circulated properly

and im almost sure thats the issue, but im not totaly sure how to fix it
    im thinkin i may need to get a new case. and i was hoping someone here would know a good one for keepin it cooler?

anyways, i had a small table fan and thought it would cool it down a bit if i let it blow into the case, the results were amazing :D i was able to reduce everything by atleast 10 degress

this would also explain why my cpu and gpu change at the same time and are around the same temp
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heating