Sites and Services questions.

I have a new client with the following environment :

One domain emcompassing 4 locations. Each location has at least one DC.
The DC's are a mixture of Win2000 and 2003 servers. The current "Sites and
Services" configuration is setup as follows:

One site called "Hub" containing all DC's from each location. One ip/subnet
range (10.0.0.0/24) used by all four locations, even though each location has
it's own ip address range.

I have never configured sites and services for a multi site domain, but from
what I know about sites is that this configuration is totally incorrect.
Also, I am assumming they are seeing "DC replication" and "user logon"
performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
actually start work for them this weekend.

I would like input on the following to configuration questions.

1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
manner:
Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and assign
them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
this OK?

2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use Site
1 licensing Server)?

> I have never configured sites and services for a multi site domain, but
> from what I know about sites is that this configuration is totally
> incorrect.

Not so much completely wrong, but simply unconfigured or not setup.

> 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> manner:
Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and assign
them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
this OK?

This is all correct, but possibly in the wrong order. Create the new sites.
Create the new subnets. Associate the subnets with the correct sites. Move
the DCs to the correct sites and make them GCs. Also make each DC a DNS
server and use AD-Integrated DNS. Ensure that the sites clients (including
the DC) are pointing to the local DNS server.

With this done, the KCCs on each DC will generate intrasite replication
connections, and the designated ISTG will generate intersite connections.
You don't need to do anything with regards to the connections other than
define costs to the site links. If you want a traditional hub-and spoke
topology without transitive links (a replicates with c when the links are AB
and BC) then you should disable the 'bridge all site links' option.

> 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use
> Site 1 licensing Server)?

No you do not need the licensing server. This is simply for aiding you to
track licensing. It doesn't work, and most of us here will recommend you
disable it altogether anyway.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

So your saying the previous adminisrator has most likely never touched "Sites
and Services".

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
> actually start work for them this weekend.
>
> I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
>
> 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> manner:
> Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
> location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and assign
> them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
> server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
> configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
> this OK?
>
> 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use

So, my planned "sites and services" changes should show performance
improvement, right?

Also, what about the licensing server question?

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
> actually start work for them this weekend.
>
> I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
>
> 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> manner:
> Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
> location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and assign
> them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
> server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
> configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
> this OK?
>
> 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use

If there's just one site and one subnet then yes; if there's one site and
all the subnets, then it looks like the administrator has setup AD as one
logical site. This isn't strictly wrong, but is generally not recommended
unless you have massive WAN links, or a very small number of users at each
site, and few GPOs ;-)

The hub and spoke design is almost always preferred; especially in smaller
businesses whereby the cost of the WAN links is sometimes construed as
excessive.

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
> actually start work for them this weekend.
>
> I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
>
> 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> manner:
> Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
> location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and
> assign
> them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
> server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
> configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
> this OK?
>
> 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use

Yes, if you also take my advice about DNS you will 'localise' traffic to
sites, and therefore reduce the load on the WAN links. The DS-aware clients
will use the local server over others, which is faster. Replication will
happen every three hours as opposed to every five mins ;-) Et Cetera...

Licensing: disable it on all servers. You don't need it, and would see
spurious results even if you wanted to use it.

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
> actually start work for them this weekend.
>
> I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
>
> 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> manner:
> Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
> location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and
> assign
> them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
> server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
> configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
> this OK?
>
> 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use

Thankyou Paul, you have been extremely helpful!

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> > performance issues from this setup. I will not know for sure until I
> > actually start work for them this weekend.
> >
> > I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
> >
> > 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the following
> > manner:
> > Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
> > location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and
> > assign
> > them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
> > server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
> > configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule. Is
> > this OK?
> >
> > 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can three
> > of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4 use

JJB,

Paul is - as usual - right on track.

Just to summarize:

-Open up the Active Directory Sites and Services MMC.
-Create a Site for each location ( call one HQ, one Raleigh, one Blacksburg
and one Richmond - naturally replacing with the appropriate name for you! )
-Create a Subnet for each location ( 192.168.1.x / 24 for the hub,
192.168.10.x / 24 for Raleigh, 192.168.20.x /24 for Blacksburg and
192.168.30.x for Richmond, for example ) and then associate the Subnet with
the correct Site.
-Change the IP Address of each Server ( DC, Member, etc. ) as necessary and
move the DCs to the correct Site in the ADSS MMC.
-Make at least one DC a Global Catalog Server ( via the ADSS MMC ).
-Don't forget DDNS
-Don't forget to correct DHCP
Let you buddy the KCC do it's thing ( with a little help from the
ISTG....based on the information that you give it )

It does not seem that the previous Admin did much in the way of setting up
things 'correctly'. However, there might have been a reason for this, who
knows.

You will also want to make sure that you have set up a Site-to-Site VPNs
from the Hub to each of the Spokes. This would be from the Firewall to the
Firewall in each office. Obviously, Cisco's PIX can do this as well as the
nice little boxes from SonicWall. That is, unless you have a private T1
between each Site.....

This will make it much more likely that the clients in SiteA will
authenticate against a Domain Controller in SiteA and NOT against a Domain
Controller in another site ( read: over the WAN ). However, it is not
perfect. There will possibly be times when a client in SiteA will
authenticate against a DC in another site. Please take a look at the
following MSKB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306602

Look at the Generic Records area.....

There are also a lot of things that you can do. I would not mind sharing my
thoughts if you were interested.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

> [...]
>> > actually start work for them this weekend.
>> >
>> > I would like input on the following to configuration questions.
>> >
>> > 1) I will change the "sites and services" configuration in the
>> > following
>> > manner:
>> > Create four sites, one for each location. Add the DC's for each
>> > location to the correct sites. Create subnets for each location and
>> > assign
>> > them to the correct sites. Make a DC at each location a Global Catalog
>> > server, and make one at each location a Bridgehead server. Finally,
>> > configure intersite and intrasite partners and replication schedule.
>> > Is
>> > this OK?
>> >
>> > 2) Do I need to have a Windows Licensing Server at each site, or can
>> > three
>> > of the sites use a server a the first site (For example, Sites 2,3,4

Cary,

Thank you, just a few more questions.

They are using Netscreen 5-GT VPN\Firewalls at each location to connect to
the (Hub Site), from what I can tell none of the spokes talk to each other
directly (via a VPN tunnell), they would have to go through the hub. So,

If this is true, are my planned changes and your modifications to my plan,
going to be a performance improvement?

Or

If I'm incorrect, and the and the each spoke can talk to each other through
a VPN tunnel directly, and I just not aware of it, should I just leave it the
configuration as it is, or continue with the planned changes?

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> JJB,
>
> Paul is - as usual - right on track.
>
> Just to summarize:
>
> -Open up the Active Directory Sites and Services MMC.
> -Create a Site for each location ( call one HQ, one Raleigh, one Blacksburg
> and one Richmond - naturally replacing with the appropriate name for you! )
> -Create a Subnet for each location ( 192.168.1.x / 24 for the hub,
> 192.168.10.x / 24 for Raleigh, 192.168.20.x /24 foMy question is, if the topology I am describing is true, in that true Start (hub and spoke), are my planned configuration changes better.

Orr Blacksburg and
> 192.168.30.x for Richmond, for example ) and then associate the Subnet with
> the correct Site.
> -Change the IP Address of each Server ( DC, Member, etc. ) as necessary and
> move the DCs to the correct Site in the ADSS MMC.
> -Make at least one DC a Global Catalog Server ( via the ADSS MMC ).
> -Don't forget DDNS
> -Don't forget to correct DHCP
> Let you buddy the KCC do it's thing ( with a little help from the
> ISTG....based on the information that you give it )
>
> It does not seem that the previous Admin did much in the way of setting up
> things 'correctly'. However, there might have been a reason for this, who
> knows.
>
> You will also want to make sure that you have set up a Site-to-Site VPNs
> from the Hub to each of the Spokes. This would be from the Firewall to the
> Firewall in each office. Obviously, Cisco's PIX can do this as well as the
> nice little boxes from SonicWall. That is, unless you have a private T1
> between each Site.....
>
> This will make it much more likely that the clients in SiteA will
> authenticate against a Domain Controller in SiteA and NOT against a Domain
> Controller in another site ( read: over the WAN ). However, it is not
> perfect. There will possibly be times when a client in SiteA will
> authenticate against a DC in another site. Please take a look at the
> following MSKB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306602
>
> Look at the Generic Records area.....
>
> There are also a lot of things that you can do. I would not mind sharing my
> thoughts if you were interested.
>

> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thankyou Paul, you have been extremely helpful!
> >
> > "ptwilliams" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, if you also take my advice about DNS you will 'localise' traffic to
> >> sites, and therefore reduce the load on the WAN links. The DS-aware
> >> clients
> >> will use the local server over others, which is faster. Replication will
> >> happen every three hours as opposed to every five mins ;-) Et Cetera...
> >>
> >> Licensing: disable it on all servers. You don't need it, and would see
> >> spurious results even if you wanted to use it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Paul Williams
> >>
> >> http://www.msresource.net/
> >> http://forums.msresource.net/
> >>
> >> "jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> So, my planned "sites and services" changes should show performance
> >> improvement, right?
> >>
> >> Also, what about the licensing server question?

By default, the remote sites can talk to the other remote sites -but they
generally won't based on cost.

If you uncheck the "bridge all site links" option, then you disable this
behaviour.

Neither one is slower (usually). The default will allow for a little more
resilience in that you can connect to another remote DC if the hub ones are
down. That is, replication will continue if the central DC(s) are down.

Personally I'd stop the transitive (bridged) links. This could, in theory,
cause more WAN traffic than necessary. Of course, if your lines can handle
it then it doesn't matter. I just like to know exactly what's going to go
where, etc.

--

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > "ptwilliams" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, if you also take my advice about DNS you will 'localise' traffic
> >> sites, and therefore reduce the load on the WAN links. The DS-aware
> >> clients
> >> will use the local server over others, which is faster. Replication
> >> will
> >> happen every three hours as opposed to every five mins ;-) Et Cetera...
> >>
> >> Licensing: disable it on all servers. You don't need it, and would see
> >> spurious results even if you wanted to use it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Paul Williams
> >>
> >> http://www.msresource.net/
> >> http://forums.msresource.net/
> >>
> >> "jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> So, my planned "sites and services" changes should show performance
> >> improvement, right?
> >>
> >> Also, what about the licensing server question?

Last Question:

During all the instructions tips from you and Cary I did not see anything
about creating "Site Links" manually, for example (Hub_To_Site1),
(Hub_To_Site2) etc., Or is this what is meant by "Let you buddy the KCC do

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> > authenticate against a Domain Controller in SiteA and NOT against a Domain
> > Controller in another site ( read: over the WAN ). However, it is not
> > perfect. There will possibly be times when a client in SiteA will
> > authenticate against a DC in another site. Please take a look at the
> > following MSKB article:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306602
> >
> > Look at the Generic Records area.....
> >
> > There are also a lot of things that you can do. I would not mind sharing
> > my
> > thoughts if you were interested.
> >

> > --
> > Cary W. Shultz
> > Roanoke, VA 24014
> > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
> >
> > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
> >

> > "jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thankyou Paul, you have been extremely helpful!

No that's not what we meant; create the site links yourself, then let the
KCCs generate the connection objects automatically.

The topology will be different once you create the site links.

--

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> [...]
> > Domain
> > Controller in another site ( read: over the WAN ). However, it is not
> > perfect. There will possibly be times when a client in SiteA will
> > authenticate against a DC in another site. Please take a look at the
> > following MSKB article:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306602
> >
> > Look at the Generic Records area.....
> >
> > There are also a lot of things that you can do. I would not mind
> > sharing
> > my
> > thoughts if you were interested.
> >

> > --
> > Cary W. Shultz
> > Roanoke, VA 24014
> > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
> >
> > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
> >

> > "jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thankyou Paul, you have been extremely helpful!

Thanks for all the help.