How to disallow group policies on windows 2000 servers

Hi Folks:
We have a corporate wide group policies which basically map drive letters
and automatically start our intranet site via Internet Explorer etc. After
awhile it gets annoying when I login to multiple servers. Is there a way to
only disallow the running of this group policy if an administrator or user is
logging into a windows 2000 server? Please advise.
4 answers Last reply
More about disallow group policies windows 2000 servers

    Yes, you use what's called Group Policy Filtering.

    Here's a how to:
    -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/15/47/

    This article covers granting to specific users and groups more than stopping
    them, but the principle is the same. You simply use the deny permission in
    your case instead of the allow permission.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hi Folks:
    We have a corporate wide group policies which basically map drive letters
    and automatically start our intranet site via Internet Explorer etc. After
    awhile it gets annoying when I login to multiple servers. Is there a way to
    only disallow the running of this group policy if an administrator or user
    is
    logging into a windows 2000 server? Please advise.

    Hi TJ

    If the settings are applied via computer configuration in the GPO to the
    computers, I don't know a way of avoiding it. If they are implemented via
    user configuration in the GPO, you can deny the "apply group policy" right
    to the admins that shouldn't have it.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks:
    > We have a corporate wide group policies which basically map drive
    > letters
    > and automatically start our intranet site via Internet Explorer etc.
    > After
    > awhile it gets annoying when I login to multiple servers. Is there a way
    > only disallow the running of this group policy if an administrator or user
    > is
    > logging into a windows 2000 server? Please advise.

    In the case of the servers, he should be able to deny the computer accounts
    of the servers from running the GPO, correct?

    I have never had a need to do this based on computer account... then again,
    I usually have servers in a different OU than workstations and filter that
    way.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi TJ
    >
    > If the settings are applied via computer configuration in the GPO to the
    > computers, I don't know a way of avoiding it. If they are implemented via
    > user configuration in the GPO, you can deny the "apply group policy" right
    > to the admins that shouldn't have it.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > --
    > Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    > Windows Platform Support Team
    > Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >
    > Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    > me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    rights.

    > "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Folks:
    > > We have a corporate wide group policies which basically map drive
    > > letters
    > > and automatically start our intranet site via Internet Explorer etc.
    > > After
    > > awhile it gets annoying when I login to multiple servers. Is there a
    way
    > > only disallow the running of this group policy if an administrator or
    user
    > > is
    > > logging into a windows 2000 server? Please advise.

    Yeah exactly

    --

    "Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
    > In the case of the servers, he should be able to deny the computer
    > accounts
    > of the servers from running the GPO, correct?
    >
    > I have never had a need to do this based on computer account... then
    > again,
    > I usually have servers in a different OU than workstations and filter that
    > way.
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Hanisco
    > MCSE, MCDBA
    > Flagship Integration Services
    >
    > "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi TJ
    >>
    >> If the settings are applied via computer configuration in the GPO to the
    >> computers, I don't know a way of avoiding it. If they are implemented
    >> via
    >> user configuration in the GPO, you can deny the "apply group policy"
    >> right
    >> to the admins that shouldn't have it.
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >> --
    >> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    >> Windows Platform Support Team
    >> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
    >> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

    > rights.
    >>
    >> "TJ" <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Folks:
    >> > We have a corporate wide group policies which basically map drive
    >> > letters
    >> > and automatically start our intranet site via Internet Explorer etc.
    >> > After
    >> > awhile it gets annoying when I login to multiple servers. Is there a
    > way
    >> > only disallow the running of this group policy if an administrator or
    > user
    >> > is
    >> > logging into a windows 2000 server? Please advise.

Windows 2000 Servers Windows