Here are the players in my story-

AMD Athlon XP 2800
1028mb RAM DDR
300gb hdd
Asus a7v880
Pioneer DVR-106D burner
Cables2go brand IDE to USB adapter
IOGEAR GUH284r powered usb hub/card reader

I have a homebuilt PC in my basement that I operate from the kitchen. I would like to have a DVD burner accessible from the kitchen, but there is only one usb line accessible for everything usb, so I have to use a hub. XP recognizes my drive as a burner, but my burns fail at the very end (why can't they fail at the beginning and save me time?!). I have tried nero and cyberpower powerproducer and both fail, nero tells me error code e0ff000c, the other tells me nothing other than it didn't work.

The burner is an internal that i tried to recycle by using the usb/ide adapter, and it will burn just fine if i take it downstairs and connect directly to the computer (via the usb adapter), so I suspect the hub. Does anyone know of a DVD burner that will work over a hub, or a different hub that will work?

thanks!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
USB puts out 5v max, and a DVD burner connects to a 12v Molex connecter - I don't think your burner will be able to get enough power even from a powered USB hub.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
USB puts out 5v max, and a DVD burner connects to a 12v Molex connecter - I don't think your burner will be able to get enough power even from a powered USB hub.

Er, what? External DVD writers all have external PSUs, because the drives tend to require 5V and 12V at 2A, i.e. 34W PSUs, much more than USB's 2.5W. Unless this was a slimline drive (which the DVR-106C is not) in which case there are a *few* which can power off USB only.

Just try any premium brand hub with it (worth a try) or buy a PCI USB card and wire it to that. Remember USB has a maximum cable range of 5m (I think), anything more than that with high-data rates and you may start losing integrity and generating errors.

I also found this for you whilst looking:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:icQO_5P1zswJ:www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D945%26highlight%3D+e0ff000c&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

So try updating firmware, etc. the stuff suggested there. As it stands, it looks like you are doing absolutely nothing wrong. But personally, I would never attach a DVD writer to a hub just because of all the signals flying around and being repeated, errors on a 'mission critical' burn (I mean, data must be 100% perfect or it's no good) just aren't worth it.

btrcp2000

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
thanks for that link, i hadn't run across it on my own. yes, it is an internal being used externally, the adapter came with a cable with a molex on one end and an ac adapter on the other, so it just plugs directly into the wall.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I'm well aware of what he's doing and they all come with their own power supply because an internal optical drive uses a molex which has 4 pins, 2 ground (black), 12V (yellow) and 5V (red). Even if USB could provide enough 5V power, it wouldn't provide 12V. So it is clearly not self-powering from the hub or attempting to.

butitoy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
tried burning ur data at a lower speed?

i tried it many times before with my external drive ( an optical put inside an enclosure )

it works fine with me.

try.

nucas

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
"I have a homebuilt PC in my basement that I operate from the kitchen." How?

Your DVD burner is in the kitchen, connected to the PC in the basement through a usb cable that goes from the basement to the kitchen? Is that it?

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
No it wasn't correct, it's people who post incorrect information which 'upsets me so much'. This whole issue is not a power concern which you implied it was, all you'll end up doing is confusing the original poster. A 4-pin Molex connection is 12V + 5V, this DVD writer is not self-powered so even if he is using an unpowered hub it makes no odds.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

That's all true, and that's what I said.

Not being familiar with the USB/IDE converter he is using I wasn't sure if he was trying to get a 12v off of his USB or what. Apparently he wasn't as he posted later.

Posting misinformation is irritating (although a lot of the time done by accident). Misleading someone shouldn't be done.

Asking someone a question or making a point to try and ascertain the ultimate solution to a problem is what should be done if an answer is not abundantly obvious.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Ok, fair one.

But it is now clear that this is not a power issue as the power is not being provided from the hub. That was the point I was trying to make. You are right, what you said was true but it could easily be misconstrued as suggesting this was a power issue. If the DVD burner was not provided with a 12V supply it wouldn't even start.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Right, well seeing as it's definitely not a power issue, have you tried just using a USB extension cable rather than a hub?

Also if the PC is in the basement, what is the distance between the computer and the burner (cable wise).

Could USB 'drop packets' over long distances in the same way networks sometimes do?