Where are the Printers in AD?? and where do I define Locat..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 19, 2005 2:19:26 PM

Where in AD users and computers (or even adsiedit) can I find where the
printers are mentioned??

And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that printers
can be assigned to?? I presume I don't use AD users and computers - but
what doI use ??

Thanks in advance

More about : printers define locat

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:36:30 PM

You need to view computers as containers in ADU&C to see the printer objects
that are published from specific machines. You do this by going to the view
menu and choosing view users, groups and computers as containers.

> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that printers
> can be assigned to??

I'm not quite sure I follow this question. Perhaps, once you've seen the
printers in ADU&C things will be clearer for you?

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"jc" <j_le_bru@excite.com> wrote in message
Where in AD users and computers (or even adsiedit) can I find where the
printers are mentioned??

And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that printers
can be assigned to?? I presume I don't use AD users and computers - but
what doI use ??

Thanks in advance
January 19, 2005 2:57:24 PM

Thanks for the response - excellent.

Still got a problem with locations though..... If I go to
'start>settings>printers>add printer', then 'find a printer in the
directory' a box will come up with a location option. If I click browse
then it displays some locations. where can I add/amend these location
entries? The previous guy added some but I cannot see where I can change
these? is it just determined by the text entry into the printer's location
option (and it's just taking time to permeate through AD?

Opinion appreciated

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need to view computers as containers in ADU&C to see the printer
> objects
> that are published from specific machines. You do this by going to the
> view
> menu and choosing view users, groups and computers as containers.
>

>> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that
>> printers
>> can be assigned to??
>
> I'm not quite sure I follow this question. Perhaps, once you've seen the
> printers in ADU&C things will be clearer for you?
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "jc" <j_le_bru@excite.com> wrote in message
> Where in AD users and computers (or even adsiedit) can I find where the
> printers are mentioned??
>
> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that printers
> can be assigned to?? I presume I don't use AD users and computers - but
> what doI use ??
>
> Thanks in advance

January 19, 2005 3:46:12 PM

It looks like the location information is just an attribute of the
printQueue object. Therefore, you must set this on a per-printer basis. If
you need to standardise locations, you'll need LDIFDE or a script.

You can look at these printer objects in ADSIEdit. They are of the class
printQueue. Location is an optional attribute.

--

Thanks for the response - excellent.

Still got a problem with locations though..... If I go to
'start>settings>printers>add printer', then 'find a printer in the
directory' a box will come up with a location option. If I click browse
then it displays some locations. where can I add/amend these location
entries? The previous guy added some but I cannot see where I can change
these? is it just determined by the text entry into the printer's location
option (and it's just taking time to permeate through AD?

Opinion appreciated

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need to view computers as containers in ADU&C to see the printer
> objects
> that are published from specific machines. You do this by going to the
> view
> menu and choosing view users, groups and computers as containers.
>

>> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that
>> printers
>> can be assigned to??
>
> I'm not quite sure I follow this question. Perhaps, once you've seen the
> printers in ADU&C things will be clearer for you?
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "jc" <j_le_bru@excite.com> wrote in message
> Where in AD users and computers (or even adsiedit) can I find where the
> printers are mentioned??
>
> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that printers
> can be assigned to?? I presume I don't use AD users and computers - but
> what doI use ??
>
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:08:29 PM

Printer information is published to AD, so it would make sense to set the
location information on the print queue on the print server itself, rather
than directly modify the information in AD. The location field is on the
General tab of the printer properties. Microsoft has some scripts that will
help you with setting the location field for a large number of printers.
Have a look at prnadmin.dll in the Windows 200x Resource Kit.

If you modify the location field directly on the printQueue objects in AD,
these are likely to be overwritten by subsequent publishing of print queue
information from the printer servers. In other words, the recommended
approach would be to leave the AD objects alone and work with the print
queues themselves.

Tony
www.activedir.org

> It looks like the location information is just an attribute of the
> printQueue object. Therefore, you must set this on a per-printer basis.
> If
> you need to standardise locations, you'll need LDIFDE or a script.
>
> You can look at these printer objects in ADSIEdit. They are of the class
> printQueue. Location is an optional attribute.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net
> http://forums.msresource.net
>

> "jc" <j_le_bru@excite.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the response - excellent.
>
> Still got a problem with locations though..... If I go to
> 'start>settings>printers>add printer', then 'find a printer in the
> directory' a box will come up with a location option. If I click browse
> then it displays some locations. where can I add/amend these location
> entries? The previous guy added some but I cannot see where I can change
> these? is it just determined by the text entry into the printer's
> location
> option (and it's just taking time to permeate through AD?
>
> Opinion appreciated
>

> "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You need to view computers as containers in ADU&C to see the printer
>> objects
>> that are published from specific machines. You do this by going to the
>> view
>> menu and choosing view users, groups and computers as containers.
>>

>>> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that
>>> printers
>>> can be assigned to??
>>
>> I'm not quite sure I follow this question. Perhaps, once you've seen the
>> printers in ADU&C things will be clearer for you?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Paul Williams
>>
>> http://www.msresource.net
>> http://forums.msresource.net
>>

>> "jc" <j_le_bru@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Where in AD users and computers (or even adsiedit) can I find where the
>> printers are mentioned??
>>
>> And as a follow up where do I specify (define) the locations that
>> printers
>> can be assigned to?? I presume I don't use AD users and computers - but
>> what doI use ??
>>
>> Thanks in advance

January 20, 2005 12:26:10 PM

Thanks for the replys. Seems that the list of locations is built up purely
from typing the locations into the property boxes of the various
printers.....luckily I dont have to do too many so I can do it manually.

!